GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 07:52 AM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bigz187
I went with the AEM intake with carbon fiber heat shield and never looked back. Great sounds and build quality. Had the RR racing intake elbow and heat shield and returned it. It had fitment issues with the heat shield and couldn't justify it for the money.
I just looked on their website and couldn't see anything for the GSF. Did you use the RCF intake?
Old 05-28-19, 08:04 AM
bigz187
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFSport
I just looked on their website and couldn't see anything for the GSF. Did you use the RCF intake?
I did use the RCF version with no problems
The following users liked this post:
designo (06-08-19)
Old 05-28-19, 08:34 AM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I did use the RCF version with no problems
Very cool. And it looks like you still kept the breather that comes with one of the other intakes. What did you use to cap the ends on the AEM elbow?
Old 05-28-19, 08:39 AM
Bogardian
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that you plugged it off versus the picture from AEM website. Did the plugs and the mini filter in the back of your engine bay come with the intake?
Old 06-04-19, 06:12 PM
Bogardian
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to go the same route as @designo . I like the blue theme in the engine bay, and the sound is a bit deeper. My mind may be playing tricks, but I feel like it is definitely more responsive off the start. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, all are badass! Shout out to @Meraki Autoworks for getting the intake to me within 24 hours.

Last edited by Bogardian; 06-05-19 at 06:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bogardian:
designo (06-08-19), Meraki Autoworks (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 06:21 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 670 Likes on 591 Posts

Looks great!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-07-19, 05:52 AM
TARS
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I decided to do a mix. Takeda cone filter complete, with RR-Racing heat shield... To Lance point, no "oil gauze filter", I use their "dry version" for all the reasons he mentioned. Even though subjective, the sound improvement was very noticeable. At this point I do believe RR-Racing claims for the heat shield.
The following 4 users liked this post by TARS:
1wacko (12-18-19), Bogardian (06-07-19), designo (06-08-19), NotFSport (06-07-19)
Old 06-08-19, 01:05 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 450 Likes on 284 Posts

Looks great buddy!
I also went with the RR Racing heat shield coupled with the Takeda system.

My battery is also blue LOL
1wacko (12-18-19)
Old 06-08-19, 01:06 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TARS

I decided to do a mix. Takeda cone filter complete, with RR-Racing heat shield... To Lance point, no "oil gauze filter", I use their "dry version" for all the reasons he mentioned. Even though subjective, the sound improvement was very noticeable. At this point I do believe RR-Racing claims for the heat shield.

What happened to your engine plenum?
Old 06-08-19, 04:24 AM
TARS
Driver

Originally Posted by designo
What happened to your engine plenum?
Thanks designo, happy to hear about others having a similar solutions for the intake. I finally arrived to where I wanted to be in that regard, since there are a few options out there.

The Plenum: Its removed mainly for improving heat dissipation, mainly because of my somewhat frequent track use. Especially after any session when you go back to the paddock and open your hood to let the engine cool off. I use a battery operated fan to help with this, so not having the plenum makes a significant improvement by allowing the engine heat to "move out" much faster. For those reading that might not know, when you turn off the engine temperatures will tend to rise sharply, initially... This is because there is no more coolant and/or air moving through the few "water to air heat exchangers" (radiators) that the GS-F has. With track use, these situations are just amplified, so as owners that care one should observe these little good practices especially if you track it, which I believe, is almost no one here but me. Back to the plenum, when the strut bracing from Tom's is installed, you can not remove the plenum without uninstalling the strut brace itself, which is just a pain. So cleaning the engine and inspecting the engine cannot be done properly when that thing on. And lastly, the RR-Racing oil-catch system will require the plenum to be trimmed or modified so it can be installed. Servicing the oil-catch system might still require removing the plenum anyways, depending on the kind of trimming that you might have done to it.

Most people probably like the "look" of the plenum as its installed, and that's perfectly fine. For me however, its currently sitting on a top shelve in my garage LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by TARS:
1wacko (12-18-19), designo (06-09-19)
Old 06-08-19, 12:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Guys - the plenum is the blue piece still present on the engine. The plastic cover is just a cover/sound damper, not a plenum. I remove my engine cover at the track as well and for the same reasons. It's hard enough keeping the oil from cooking in a 20 minute session with the cover removed on the IS F. I imagine the GS F and RC F are better off with their air/oil coolers in addition to the coolant/oil heat exchangers, but there's no good reason to let the engine cook after a session. I usually idle for about 5 minutes after an on track session to let the temperature stabilize.

No, I do not track the GS F. It's the wife's car/daily driver.
designo (06-09-19)
Old 06-08-19, 04:18 PM
TARS
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Guys - the plenum is the blue piece still present on the engine. The plastic cover is just a cover/sound damper, not a plenum. I remove my engine cover at the track as well and for the same reasons. It's hard enough keeping the oil from cooking in a 20 minute session with the cover removed on the IS F. I imagine the GS F and RC F are better off with their air/oil coolers in addition to the coolant/oil heat exchangers, but there's no good reason to let the engine cook after a session. I usually idle for about 5 minutes after an on track session to let the temperature stabilize.

No, I do not track the GS F. It's the wife's car/daily driver.
I don't even know why I kept calling it plenum (like an engine positive pressure plenum, the actual metal purple part on the GS-F engine as you said) obviously "plastic cover" is what I meant to say, thanks for the correction.

I would have not guess that the IS-F did not have separate heat exchangers for the engine and transmission (aside from the main radiator) as the GS-F has... I can definitively see why it will be hard for you not to "cook" the engine oil during a hot 20 minute track session. I got to tell you, 3 weeks ago at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) the OAT temperature felt like "surface of the sun kind of hot"!! Still, and to my surprise, I was unable to pass 7/10ths in the oil temp graph (5/10ths or 1/2 being "nominal") no matter how ***** to the wall I was pushing that blue thing; decent for a grocery getter! Since installed, the Toms front diffuser has made a noticeable difference in cooling, amongst other things.

Fun fact, the last 20 minute track session for the day became a 30 minute session and close to its end a problem finally appeared... The "famous" Micheline Pilot Sport Cup 2s on the back were basically melting away! It's not like it happened slowly either, it came out of nowhere LOL. So after an intense spiritual moment of telling myself "please do a good job!" things got somewhat under control and everything was just fine. I couldn't believe that I had exceeded the temperature range of "Cup 2s", tire pressures were correct as well... I swear that for a second it felt like I was a driving a 1982 Toyota Tercel while behind on time on the last turn of an autocross in Florida, with original tires... it took that much to make it work. When I got back to the paddock I could basically peal away small chunks of the tire by hand; so much for "Cup 2s". The Toyo R888R on the front were just smiling on their last track day. Next time it will be for sure R888R all around. I guess I just wanted to give some use or "finish up" a set of almost brand new Cup 2s that I had left in the garage. I suppose I succeeded somehow.
designo (06-09-19)
Old 06-08-19, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

The IS F has a line through the radiator (oil/coolant) and a separate air/oil heat exchanger for the transmission in front of the main radiator. It also has the same coolant/oil heat exchanger for the engine oil that the later model engines have. What it lacks for those hot days at CMP is an air/oil unit for the engine oil, and when I ran CMP at 102F outside air temp, I saw 275F oil temps. Not at all ideal. I am certain this is what the engineers were concerned about when they decided to put a separate air/oil cooler with a thermally controlled valve on the RC F and GS F cars. More than once I have wondered aloud how hard it would be to transplant one of the later model 2UR-GSE engines into my IS F. Small horsepower bump, but the lessons they learned with the IS F made the safety and reliability of the engine in the later models significantly superior IMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
designo (06-09-19), Dukeaudio (06-08-19)
Old 06-09-19, 01:08 AM
designo
Pole Position

Great stuff boys!
After a track session, I usually let my car run for a few minutes with the water jet cooled fans in the pit garage do it's work.

And in most cases, I sit there cursing at the sound of those brakes contracting, and wondering how much $$$ I'm out of pocket because of this!!!
Old 06-09-19, 04:10 AM
TARS
Driver

Great to hear designo that you go to the track, hopefully you meant with the GS-F as well, it's cool either way as it is a lot of fun! I know I will never convince Lance to "borrow" his wife's GS-F for a track day, with him having the IS-F and the Supra, I don't think he'll be that interested unless it was a McLaren upgrade, lol. I think generally a lot of people in the forum are doubtful about what the GS-F can do or think that the track might be "too hard" or damaging to their cars.

Quick Reply: Intake