GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

I have a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 12:41 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking I have a problem....

I do not want to sound like a whiner and am blessed to own a 2017 GS F outright and in pristine condition. Rather, I am getting that itch that "something better" is there that must be scratched. It is an addiction clearly and I have been pouring over Porsche certified Cayenne or Macan Turbo options (used clearly) as a possibility of swapping the GS F for same. The rational part of me knows this is just stupid and I am driving the GS F as much as I can hard to hear that engine purr, feel that TVD bring the car around and put that smile on my face.

The addict is whispering about how I recently ruptured my L4/L5 disc and that CLEARLY the Porsche option would be far easier ingress and egress for my 53 year old body!!! Somehow, in the span of 14 months, I have gone from "I'm keeping the GS F forever!" to spending nights sleepless watching youtube reviews and pouring over Porsche forums?!!!!?? WTF??? My better half is even questioning my sanity at this point (as understanding as she was about the GS F, I am not getting the high signs from her to pull the trigger on ANY new vehicle presently).

So, I guess this cry for help is: Any suggestions for how others handle this affliction? I know I should just buck up and move on. And I will... just thought it might prove fun (if not helpful) to hear from any others on their struggles in this vein. Peace! Mike
Old 05-08-19, 01:30 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad back and knee here, so I can relate. Not sure how tall you are, but I found the Macan a bit cramped, especially with someone sitting behind me. The Cayenne is roomier and might even be a little easier to get in and out of.
Old 05-08-19, 02:15 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Originally Posted by akshunj
Bad back and knee here, so I can relate. Not sure how tall you are, but I found the Macan a bit cramped, especially with someone sitting behind me. The Cayenne is roomier and might even be a little easier to get in and out of.
You’re no help! Haha! Seriously, I did get to look at a Macan in person today and that back seat ruled it out immediately. I am only 5’10”, but even with me comfortable in the driver seat, no one is sitting behind me over age 10. The Cayenne though.... I am trying to just push through this rough patch and appreciate that at least I do have the option of keeping the GS F “forever” thanks to Lexus reliability and quality! Take care.
Old 05-08-19, 02:18 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by akshunj

Ive had the itch for something new all the time. Such as CTSV, bmw m5 and even looked up videos just like you did. But then I just go watch reviews of the GSF and then go detail my car and then all of a sudden I love the GSF even more.
The following users liked this post:
Miznthrope (05-09-19)
Old 05-08-19, 02:39 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

oh yes, the first world problems of luxury performance autos... getting bored and wanting something better.
The following 2 users liked this post by danwlee:
akshunj (05-08-19), neff2641 (08-01-22)
Old 05-08-19, 02:46 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Miznthrope
You’re no help! Haha! Seriously, I did get to look at a Macan in person today and that back seat ruled it out immediately. I am only 5’10”, but even with me comfortable in the driver seat, no one is sitting behind me over age 10. The Cayenne though.... I am trying to just push through this rough patch and appreciate that at least I do have the option of keeping the GS F “forever” thanks to Lexus reliability and quality! Take care.
Hey at least you have "good" problems to solve! A couple of more years and transporting my youngest won't be an issue and I'll have my convertible Z06! Back and knee be damned lol...
Miznthrope (05-09-19)
Old 05-08-19, 03:42 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I felt the same way about my first wife
The following 3 users liked this post by 18017:
lobuxracer (05-18-19), Miznthrope (05-09-19), VenomF (07-16-22)
Old 05-08-19, 05:06 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

I do not want to sound like a whiner and am blessed to own a 2017 GS F outright and in pristine condition. Rather, I am getting that itch that "something better" is there that must be scratched. It is an addiction clearly and I have been pouring over Porsche certified Cayenne or Macan Turbo options (used clearly) as a possibility of swapping the GS F for same. The rational part of me knows this is just stupid and I am driving the GS F as much as I can hard to hear that engine purr, feel that TVD bring the car around and put that smile on my face.

The addict is whispering about how I recently ruptured my L4/L5 disc and that CLEARLY the Porsche option would be far easier ingress and egress for my 53 year old body!!! Somehow, in the span of 14 months, I have gone from "I'm keeping the GS F forever!" to spending nights sleepless watching youtube reviews and pouring over Porsche forums?!!!!?? WTF??? My better half is even questioning my sanity at this point (as understanding as she was about the GS F, I am not getting the high signs from her to pull the trigger on ANY new vehicle presently).

So, I guess this cry for help is: Any suggestions for how others handle this affliction? I know I should just buck up and move on. And I will... just thought it might prove fun (if not helpful) to hear from any others on their struggles in this vein. Peace! Mike

What are the specs of your GS-F? Colors / Options /Miles ? Might be interested in buying it.
Old 05-08-19, 06:18 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cayenne = minivan

You will lose all street cred! I too had the itch. Scratched by going to the Lexus Performance Driving School which I highly recommend. Have a new appreciation for the car.

Only credible Porsches are 718 and 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fatbarney:
ashschwin (08-10-22), Miznthrope (05-09-19)
Old 05-08-19, 11:14 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Tough one. Seems like upgrade bug has teeth in deep. I was only able to shake it once. It was with my ‘09 Honda S2000, which i feel, is similar to the GS F. Both are not the fastest/most powerful in their segments but are blasts to drive. The S2k is no longer in production, and rumor has it that this na V8 is soon to follow. Biggest reason i keep the S2k isn’t a spec sheet, but how it makes me feel when i drive it (wife feels the same way, so there’s that). Despite all its strengths, seems that the GS F doesn’t ‘have’ you enough to immunize you from the upgrade bug. For that, i say sell your GS F already, life is too short for an enthusiast to be driving a car that doesn’t do it for them anymore...and so that someone else can enjoy the eventual classic.
Old 05-09-19, 12:26 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

I wish we all had your woes and worries LOL.
It's your life and your money, whatever your gut tells you.. go for it.

The longer you live in life, the more experience u get and you become "wiser"....
Old 05-09-19, 03:30 AM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Thanks all! Good stuff and you have all helped me pull my head out of my a$$ in some small way! Take care for now.
Old 05-11-19, 11:00 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I'll never own any brand again after buying Lexus. Porsche is not known for reliability. Nothing is more frustrating for me than getting things repaired that shouldn't be failing prematurely. Of course I keep my cars long term.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
designo (07-15-22), Miznthrope (05-23-19)
Old 05-17-19, 03:41 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I am actually shopping for GSF or Cayenne now and for my needs I like Cayenne more but maintenance and reliability scare me
Miznthrope (05-23-19)
Old 05-18-19, 10:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

I did the same to my back in 1993. It flared again in 2015 and I was unable to walk without fear for a month. The Porsche was on the top of the list before we bought the GS F, but it wasn't my back driving the decision, it was my wife saying she didn't want to spend the money on the Porsche. I am certain I would be plenty happy with a GTS Cayenne while keeping my IS F and Supra...

So - to fix the real problem - your back at L4-L5. Here's what I did:
Plasma Rich Platelet injections into the area around the disc and into the facet joints. I have more problems than L4 - L5, I also did C4 through C7 as I have severe cervical stenosis. I did this through Regenexx's Atlanta office. Insurance does not cover this, and I dropped $4k of my own money. It was worth 5x that easily. I am not on pain meds and I have not had any discs removed or shims installed or range of motion limiting titanium cages.

I also do Egoscue. After 20 years of chiropractic, 5 years of physical therapy including cervical traction and dry needling, I still woke up in misery every morning. Dr. Williams at the Atlanta Regenexx office advised me to try Egoscue to help the PRP injections actually deliver long term success. It works. Like magic. Again, not covered by insurance, so I spend about $4k out of pocket annually for my visits, but this yoga-based therapy does what chiropractic and PT never did - allows me to fix myself DAILY so I can go about life as if nothing ever happened.

Those of you who do not have these kinds of injuries really have very little relevant basis to form an opinion - and I include MDs who service people in my condition - NO basis to form an opinion. You can have no appreciation for how debilitating sciatica is until it happens to you. Words can't describe the frustration with conventional medicine when they tell you your only solution is to permanently destroy tissue to immobilize a joint and transfer all the stress that joint used to absorb to the joints above and below (which dooms them to an earlier demise). Or submit yourself to a series of "adjustments" that do nothing more than temporarily alleviate acute pain, only for it to return anywhere from 1 to 72 hours later. I really thought dry needling was the magic - the morning after I had my first PT session with dry needling I awoke with zero low back pain for the first time in 22 years. Zero. Felt like I should go to the gym and do 300 pound squats again to celebrate. Unfortunately, the dry needling only solved one piece of the problem and the pain returned. PT gave me exercises that were OK, but Egoscue gives you exercises that actually improve your condition and give you more freedom to live life.

Sorry for the rant, but this subject is very near and dear to me. And I know the Cayenne won't even come close to fixing it. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more. I get nothing for referring anyone, but I feel great happiness knowing someone - even just one person - feels better and gets off pain meds because I put them on the right path to good health.

Oh, yeah, I just turned 59. Been living with this for a minute or two.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-18-19 at 10:10 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Dukeaudio (05-18-19), Miznthrope (05-23-19), soepyanf (05-22-19), VenomF (07-16-22)

Quick Reply: I have a problem....