GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

I have a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 11:36 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

My username is odd as it was supposed to be winterturbo as I drove a 911 twin turbo year round . When I signed up to o CL it dropped the o. In any case I drive an ISF and when back is real sore a lX470. Broke 13 vertebrae and am a 7/10 on a pain scale daily for over 30 years now. Furthermore I fix backs for a living. Have owned over 70 vehicles. Lexus Is the only car we buy as it’s the only car that doesn’t jar the back nearly as harshly as others. The ISf is a firm ride but not a harsh ride. Big difference to those that don’t know and can’t fell the subtle difference You will not feel better driving many other vehicles. You may feel a little better in the ingress egress but not the ride
free advice for a disc is buy an inversion table and use it daily for no more than 10 min at a time and never more than 30 degrees. It actually decompresses compressed discs better than most treatments available and you can do it a home for free. Have saved many folks from disc replacement surgery with this little piece of advice. PM if you like.

I wouldnt unload the GSF and if I did the GX is the only SUV I’d buy. (I have driven one into the Darien in Panama on awful roads) It has suspensión that will be kind to your back. Porsche doesn’t and for sure no domestic does. I can’t even ride in an escalade due to the harsh ride.

back pain is a wretched curse and not many vehicles are kind to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by winterturb:
Knucklebus (07-15-22), Miznthrope (05-23-19)
Old 05-19-19, 10:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I had very limited success with the inversion table. It's in the basement collecting dust now. I know some people absolutely swear by them. My friend borrowed it for a while when he was talking about buying one (mine is made by Teeter, so it's well made) and returned it after a month saying it didn't work for him either. Trying it can't hurt, but I will definitely vouch for do NOT fully invert with low back problems. It will absolutely make the pain worse in short order.
Old 05-19-19, 03:36 PM
stormhamme
Rookie

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
My username is odd as it was supposed to be winterturbo as I drove a 911 twin turbo year round . When I signed up to o CL it dropped the o. In any case I drive an ISF and when back is real sore a lX470. Broke 13 vertebrae and am a 7/10 on a pain scale daily for over 30 years now. Furthermore I fix backs for a living. Have owned over 70 vehicles. Lexus Is the only car we buy as it’s the only car that doesn’t jar the back nearly as harshly as others. The ISf is a firm ride but not a harsh ride. Big difference to those that don’t know and can’t fell the subtle difference You will not feel better driving many other vehicles. You may feel a little better in the ingress egress but not the ride
free advice for a disc is buy an inversion table and use it daily for no more than 10 min at a time and never more than 30 degrees. It actually decompresses compressed discs better than most treatments available and you can do it a home for free. Have saved many folks from disc replacement surgery with this little piece of advice. PM if you like.

I wouldnt unload the GSF and if I did the GX is the only SUV I’d buy. (I have driven one into the Darien in Panama on awful roads) It has suspensión that will be kind to your back. Porsche doesn’t and for sure no domestic does. I can’t even ride in an escalade due to the harsh ride.

Ha, same with mine. Stormhammer, but it dropped the r
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (07-15-22)
Old 05-20-19, 12:01 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I was debating doing the opposite, going from macan to gsf. Haven't had ant reliability issues but the thought of keeping the NA V8 for a long time without worrying about reliability sounds nice. The macan has held up price pretty well, and looks like the gsf falls off a cliff which makes me think I gotta be certain about it without taking a huge bath.
Old 05-21-19, 05:54 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ismelllike
I was debating doing the opposite, going from macan to gsf. Haven't had ant reliability issues but the thought of keeping the NA V8 for a long time without worrying about reliability sounds nice. The macan has held up price pretty well, and looks like the gsf falls off a cliff which makes me think I gotta be certain about it without taking a huge bath.
How many miles on Macan? Lots of people swear by Porsche reliability (base or Diesel models at least) and yet I am watching YouTube and owners have so many lemons with Caymans and 911s
Old 05-21-19, 06:17 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
How many miles on Macan? Lots of people swear by Porsche reliability (base or Diesel models at least) and yet I am watching YouTube and owners have so many lemons with Caymans and 911s
Macan has 23k, no serious issues, just a handful of infotainment glitches fixed by restarting the car. 911 T no issues either but barely has any miles. Yeah was disappointed by Nick Murray's issues with his cars. In general with so many electronic drivers "aids" and CPUs seems like they are all ripe for malfunction. Hell our only Japanese car a Honda Odyssey decided to start braking on its own when it detected an imminent crash when there was nothing in front of me for half a mile.
Old 05-21-19, 07:26 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ismelllike
Macan has 23k, no serious issues, just a handful of infotainment glitches fixed by restarting the car. 911 T no issues either but barely has any miles. Yeah was disappointed by Nick Murray's issues with his cars. In general with so many electronic drivers "aids" and CPUs seems like they are all ripe for malfunction. Hell our only Japanese car a Honda Odyssey decided to start braking on its own when it detected an imminent crash when there was nothing in front of me for half a mile.
Lol, yes I admit, I am a fan of Nick. I am also shopping for Cayenne and I see many many lemons on the market. It's basically if I really like the car, it's always a lemon buyback ))

But 23k is nothing really, I have 35k on my M235i and pretty much no issues (amp was glitchy and got replaced and taillights had condensation which was fixed). Wife has 75k on her IS350, knock on wood.....only recalls, no issues at all.
Old 05-22-19, 01:59 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had very limited success with the inversion table. It's in the basement collecting dust now. I know some people absolutely swear by them. My friend borrowed it for a while when he was talking about buying one (mine is made by Teeter, so it's well made) and returned it after a month saying it didn't work for him either. Trying it can't hurt, but I will definitely vouch for do NOT fully invert with low back problems. It will absolutely make the pain worse in short order.
Don't want to go off topic here, but I had a compression fracture in L1 back in 2012. Inversion therapy really helped me deal with the healing and pain control for almost a year post injury.

I feel great now! Still use it from time to time to help lower back pains and headaches.
Old 05-23-19, 06:06 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I did the same to my back in 1993. It flared again in 2015 and I was unable to walk without fear for a month. The Porsche was on the top of the list before we bought the GS F, but it wasn't my back driving the decision, it was my wife saying she didn't want to spend the money on the Porsche. I am certain I would be plenty happy with a GTS Cayenne while keeping my IS F and Supra...

So - to fix the real problem - your back at L4-L5. Here's what I did:
Plasma Rich Platelet injections into the area around the disc and into the facet joints. I have more problems than L4 - L5, I also did C4 through C7 as I have severe cervical stenosis. I did this through Regenexx's Atlanta office. Insurance does not cover this, and I dropped $4k of my own money. It was worth 5x that easily. I am not on pain meds and I have not had any discs removed or shims installed or range of motion limiting titanium cages.

I also do Egoscue. After 20 years of chiropractic, 5 years of physical therapy including cervical traction and dry needling, I still woke up in misery every morning. Dr. Williams at the Atlanta Regenexx office advised me to try Egoscue to help the PRP injections actually deliver long term success. It works. Like magic. Again, not covered by insurance, so I spend about $4k out of pocket annually for my visits, but this yoga-based therapy does what chiropractic and PT never did - allows me to fix myself DAILY so I can go about life as if nothing ever happened.

Those of you who do not have these kinds of injuries really have very little relevant basis to form an opinion - and I include MDs who service people in my condition - NO basis to form an opinion. You can have no appreciation for how debilitating sciatica is until it happens to you. Words can't describe the frustration with conventional medicine when they tell you your only solution is to permanently destroy tissue to immobilize a joint and transfer all the stress that joint used to absorb to the joints above and below (which dooms them to an earlier demise). Or submit yourself to a series of "adjustments" that do nothing more than temporarily alleviate acute pain, only for it to return anywhere from 1 to 72 hours later. I really thought dry needling was the magic - the morning after I had my first PT session with dry needling I awoke with zero low back pain for the first time in 22 years. Zero. Felt like I should go to the gym and do 300 pound squats again to celebrate. Unfortunately, the dry needling only solved one piece of the problem and the pain returned. PT gave me exercises that were OK, but Egoscue gives you exercises that actually improve your condition and give you more freedom to live life.

Sorry for the rant, but this subject is very near and dear to me. And I know the Cayenne won't even come close to fixing it. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more. I get nothing for referring anyone, but I feel great happiness knowing someone - even just one person - feels better and gets off pain meds because I put them on the right path to good health.

Oh, yeah, I just turned 59. Been living with this for a minute or two.
Thanks so much for the “rant” and encouragement. I have been having really strong success and improvement with the MacKenzie techniques and am eating totally anti-inflam (no simple carbs, no sugars and no alcohol). Sucks to make such huge changes in lifestyle (no f’in golf anymore either!!!), but I have been able to quit any pain meds for several weeks now and can at least drive the GS F now without being in agony getting in and out. So, I am keeping her as long as I can as I just love the car.

I will I’ll check out the Egoscue for sure. My concern on PRP is I am no where near your ATL provider and I just do not know or trust many of the clown providers as to whether they know the science or have the centrifuges and tech in their offices to really pull it off with high efficacy. As you outline, it ain’t cheap!

Your contributions on all topics on this forum make it great. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-22, 03:58 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb

Originally Posted by stormhamme
Ha, same with mine. Stormhammer, but it dropped the r
Me three. I'm supposed to be knucklebusted, as that is my handle on every board I frequent for consistency. This is the only board I've ever used that limited usernames to 10 characters. I've got longer passwords than that on my sites.