GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Rock chip reported as structural damage..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 07:53 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Rock chip reported as structural damage..

So last year a large rock side swiped my car and put a quarter sized dent in my rear quarter panel. Along with a bunch of rocks on my hood, right fender, right door, and roof. All parts were repainted my a Lexus Certified Collision center. They pulled the dent and repainted and blended that panel along with the entire right side of the car. The only thing that was even replaced were the F badges on the side... Picture of rock chip:

Now here's what my carfax says......

I emailed carfax 2 weeks ago about disputing this and I have not heard from they despite sending follow up emails. Does the ding in the quarter panel warrant structural damage? In past experience, structural damage dramatically reduces the value of the car by half and most dealerships won't even take it, if I want to trade it in..... What the heck? Anyone with experience in this?
Old 03-22-19, 08:58 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd fight hard on this one.
Old 03-22-19, 11:16 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I’d talk to the collision center about that one. They’re the ones that report it
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (03-24-19)
Old 03-22-19, 01:02 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shenry500
I’d talk to the collision center about that one. They’re the ones that report it

I did, they actually didn't. The date on carfax was the day that GEICO inspected it. I called GEICO, and they said they don't report to Carfax, but to a database.

Was just wanting to see if anyone had issues like this with Carfax in the past, with any car, and successfully got it changed. This seriously hurts the value of my car if I decide down the road to sell the car. I plan on keeping it for a loooong time, but life changes sometimes...
Old 03-22-19, 02:18 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TrevorR
I did, they actually didn't. The date on carfax was the day that GEICO inspected it. I called GEICO, and they said they don't report to Carfax, but to a database.

Was just wanting to see if anyone had issues like this with Carfax in the past, with any car, and successfully got it changed. This seriously hurts the value of my car if I decide down the road to sell the car. I plan on keeping it for a loooong time, but life changes sometimes...
That really sucks and I’d be pissed. I would suggest posting this to something like reddit/cars or car talk etc since it reaches a much larger audience and somebody on their very likely has experience with this. Threres over a million subscribers on reddit/cars
Old 03-22-19, 02:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I called GEICO, and they said they don't report to Carfax, but to a database.
And, what did they report That could very well be a source for Carfax.

Lou
Old 03-22-19, 05:11 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500

Body shops don't report to Carfax! Accident reports, DMV, Insurance companies are the usual suspects
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (03-24-19)
Old 03-22-19, 06:53 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow - that super sucks. Let us know the outcome - hope you get it figured out !
Old 03-23-19, 08:33 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by biggame
Body shops don't report to Carfax! Accident reports, DMV, Insurance companies are the usual suspects
Ahh didn’t realize. I’ve read some still do but it’s pretty rare.
Old 03-23-19, 10:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I had a scratch on the bumper cover at the rear of my 2006 IS350. The moron police officer reported it as "moderate damage" and it cost me $3000 in trade in value on that car because it showed up on Carfax. It also made a perfectly well maintained car ineligible for Certified used status.

More than likely what happened is Carfax automatically links rear quarter panel damage with potential structural damage because the rear quarter panel is part of the unibody shell. Any time they see damage to a rear quarter, they'll call it "potentially" structural damage regardless of how minor it is. Once this happens, you are guilty until proven innocent.

IMHO, Carfax is worthless, and I mean utterly worthless. They're worse than the credit bureaus, and you have no commercial relationship with them, so you really have no recourse when their information is erroneous.
Old 03-25-19, 09:34 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had a scratch on the bumper cover at the rear of my 2006 IS350. The moron police officer reported it as "moderate damage" and it cost me $3000 in trade in value on that car because it showed up on Carfax. It also made a perfectly well maintained car ineligible for Certified used status.

More than likely what happened is Carfax automatically links rear quarter panel damage with potential structural damage because the rear quarter panel is part of the unibody shell. Any time they see damage to a rear quarter, they'll call it "potentially" structural damage regardless of how minor it is. Once this happens, you are guilty until proven innocent.

IMHO, Carfax is worthless, and I mean utterly worthless. They're worse than the credit bureaus, and you have no commercial relationship with them, so you really have no recourse when their information is erroneous.
yeah I figured that since it involved the quarter panel which is technically the structure, it would show up as that.and yeah I agree that Carfax is absolutely worthless, but to a dealership it isn’t worthless if I was to decide to trade the car in.

just an update for anyone curious, I got an email from some lady at Carfax this morning. They said they removed the structure damage form the Carfax, wow I wasn’t expecting that. They provided me a copy of the Carfax reflecting it too. So I guess it can be changed?

The following 3 users liked this post by TrevorR:
designo (03-26-19), lobuxracer (03-25-19), redspencer (03-27-19)
Old 03-25-19, 09:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^Glad you persevered

Lou
Old 03-25-19, 07:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

yeah I figured that since it involved the quarter panel which is technically the structure, it would show up as that.and yeah I agree that Carfax is absolutely worthless, but to a dealership it isn’t worthless if I was to decide to trade the car in.

just an update for anyone curious, I got an email from some lady at Carfax this morning. They said they removed the structure damage form the Carfax, wow I wasn’t expecting that. They provided me a copy of the Carfax reflecting it too. So I guess it can be changed?
Congrats! That's way better than what I have heard in the past. Maybe they're trying to clean up their image.
Old 03-25-19, 07:19 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Good job dude. You NEEDED that off of there