GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Help used market is scarce

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 02:15 PM
Bmwguy94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help used market is scarce

Hey there I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now. Need some insight on what's a good deal for a used GS F. I'm looking to pull the trigger later this year but I'm worried there won't be too many on the market. My price range is 50-60k for a low mileage CPO.

Here are some links let me know what you guys think

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=60527&showNegotiable=true&sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&distance=50000&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2366#listing=221462655

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=60527&showNegotiable=true&sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&distance=50000&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2366#listing=231993476

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=60527&showNegotiable=true&sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&distance=50000&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2366#listing=231298141

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=60527&showNegotiable=true&sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&distance=50000&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2366#listing=233546730

I'm leaning more towards to white or atomic silver

Appreciate the feedback
Old 03-25-19, 02:48 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

The last one you linked, the Atomic Silver in Towson MD. I got my 2017 GSF new for 70k a few years ago from the same dealership. So I'd guess that they'd probably negotiate, their used CPO GSFs go very quick at that dealership for some reason. Great dealership and looks like the car is clean.
Old 03-25-19, 02:53 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

there isn't much room on used cars, I know the dealership too bought couple of cars from them. On used cars its very hard to negotiate but you can give it a shot, but that dealership is very good as in customer service.
Originally Posted by TrevorR
The last one you linked, the Atomic Silver in Towson MD. I got my 2017 GSF new for 70k a few years ago from the same dealership. So I'd guess that they'd probably negotiate, their used CPO GSFs go very quick at that dealership for some reason. Great dealership and looks like the car is clean.
Old 03-25-19, 03:36 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Not many CPO’s

I just bought mine last week. It’s higher mileage but they CPO’d it and I now have 5 years of unlimited mileage warranty. I know there are no CPO’s in California for sale and I think 12 nation wide. I was looking earlier today. They go real quick when they come up. I was looking for a long time.

2016 GSF 58,000 miles. They put new rotors and pads, tires, battery and did the 60K service as part of the CPO process.

Good luck hunting!
Old 03-25-19, 04:53 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
there isn't much room on used cars, I know the dealership too bought couple of cars from them. On used cars its very hard to negotiate but you can give it a shot, but that dealership is very good as in customer service.
You most likely are right, used prices are rarely negotiable.

But yes, I've purchased 2 brand new Lexus from that dealership. They even let me drive my GSF with no salesman in the car and I was 27 at the time ha. Then again, they didn't with my 2017 RX as well.
Old 03-25-19, 08:26 PM
Bmwguy94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrevorR
You most likely are right, used prices are rarely negotiable.

But yes, I've purchased 2 brand new Lexus from that dealership. They even let me drive my GSF with no salesman in the car and I was 27 at the time ha. Then again, they didn't with my 2017 RX as well.
Yeah that dealer gave me a call today but I wasn't able to answer. Hopefully they're willing to work with me. I'm in no rush to get one until I find the right deal. I spoke to the Toledo dealer today and they're pretty firm on the price. The best they can do is 61k but salesman says if they sit on the car a couple more weeks he's willing to drop the price a little more. I guess it depends on the region, not too many folks will drive a v8 rwd car during the winter
Old 03-25-19, 08:29 PM
Bmwguy94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 18017
I just bought mine last week. It’s higher mileage but they CPO’d it and I now have 5 years of unlimited mileage warranty. I know there are no CPO’s in California for sale and I think 12 nation wide. I was looking earlier today. They go real quick when they come up. I was looking for a long time.

2016 GSF 58,000 miles. They put new rotors and pads, tires, battery and did the 60K service as part of the CPO process.

Good luck hunting!
That's a good deal I'm glad it worked out for you. Locally there are 2 gsf but the dealers aren't willing to negotiate and they're not CPO. I'm at a point where I don't mind flying or driving to go pick up one. If I find one in the 56 to 60k range I'll jump on it but I don't see that happening until later in the year. In my opinion I want a CPO just for peace of mind. What do you think?
Old 03-25-19, 09:02 PM
Driver

I paid $45,999 and 5 years of unlimited mileage plus what I mentioned above. Go for it if you find the right color combo you want, jump on it
Old 03-25-19, 09:03 PM
Driver

I would only buy a CPO. So even tho miles are higher the price point made it a deal maker
Old 03-25-19, 09:33 PM
kbot415
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid $45,999 and 5 years of unlimited mileage plus what I mentioned above. Go for it if you find the right color combo you want, jump on it
You must've bought the one at Newport, right? I was looking at that one, but it wasn't my first choice color. Miles were kinda high, but the carfax certainly demonstrated that the previous owner was meticulous about maintenance. A very good deal!!
Old 03-25-19, 09:35 PM
Driver

Ya Newport. They had it for $48,800 and wouldn’t budge. Then suddenly dropped it to $45,999. So jumped on it. It was the combo I wanted so score. Thanks!

Last edited by 18017; 03-26-19 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Price wrong
Old 03-25-19, 09:59 PM
kbot415
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As others have mentioned, the dealers know that they have a rare and desirable car and are not willing to budge much on price. A used CPO 2016 with low miles is almost always gonna be around 52-54k list. The most I've negotiated down was only 1k, and that involved multiple calls with the car sitting on their lot more than 2-3 weeks. So if you have your heart set on a certain color combination and CPO status, you may have to jump on it without much haggling if one appears.

Like you, I initially looked only at CPOs, but 2016s in ultrasonic blue with red interior are so rare, that I decided to expand my parameters. I ended up finding one at a non lexus dealership, but the price was very attractive at around 47k. I was still reluctant to buy as the car was over 1400 miles away, but I invested in a reputable 3rd party auto inspector who performed an exhaustive evaluation. I'd normally never buy a car sight unseen, but when there may be only 10-15 used GSFs available at any given time in the entire country, you gotta be flexible. Based on my inspector's glowing evaluation, I bought it and just received it over the weekend.

If the peace of mind of a CPO is still eating at you, a close approximation would be to purchase an extended lexus warranty for another 1500-3000 bucks. I actually plan on buying one, and I'll still come out ahead in price than paying for an actual lexus CPO!

Keep in mind though that you can only qualify to purchase a platinum lexus extended warranty if the car still has the original manufacturer warranty in effect. For 2016s, this means that you probably have about a year or less to buy one and qualify for the warranty.

Food for thought...
Old 03-26-19, 05:28 AM
Bmwguy94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kbot415
As others have mentioned, the dealers know that they have a rare and desirable car and are not willing to budge much on price. A used CPO 2016 with low miles is almost always gonna be around 52-54k list. The most I've negotiated down was only 1k, and that involved multiple calls with the car sitting on their lot more than 2-3 weeks. So if you have your heart set on a certain color combination and CPO status, you may have to jump on it without much haggling if one appears.

Like you, I initially looked only at CPOs, but 2016s in ultrasonic blue with red interior are so rare, that I decided to expand my parameters. I ended up finding one at a non lexus dealership, but the price was very attractive at around 47k. I was still reluctant to buy as the car was over 1400 miles away, but I invested in a reputable 3rd party auto inspector who performed an exhaustive evaluation. I'd normally never buy a car sight unseen, but when there may be only 10-15 used GSFs available at any given time in the entire country, you gotta be flexible. Based on my inspector's glowing evaluation, I bought it and just received it over the weekend.

If the peace of mind of a CPO is still eating at you, a close approximation would be to purchase an extended lexus warranty for another 1500-3000 bucks. I actually plan on buying one, and I'll still come out ahead in price than paying for an actual lexus CPO!

Keep in mind though that you can only qualify to purchase a platinum lexus extended warranty if the car still has the original manufacturer warranty in effect. For 2016s, this means that you probably have about a year or less to buy one and qualify for the warranty.

Food for thought...
Wow you got a good deal. I plan on calling one of the dealers later today to see if they're willing to negotiate. Yesterday I spoke to a dealer in Toledo, OH and according to the salesman he's being sitting on the car for 2 months. He says the demand in his area isn't high for a GSF, but he's willing to bring down the price the next couple of weeks. I just don't see them coming down to 58k, they have it listed for 63k CPO 9k miles. I would look at the 16s but I've read the suspension is harsh compared to the 17s and up due to the AVS setup. I'm not worried about snow or salt since I'm moving to TN soon, so I'm not rushing to pick up one. That's why I'm thinking I should wait a couple of months and see how the market is doing or wait until the end of the year. By then I'm assuming dealers would be willing to negotiate more?
Old 03-26-19, 05:31 AM
Bmwguy94
Driver School Candidate

Ya Newport. They had it for $58,800 and wouldn’t budge. Then suddenly dropped it to $54,999. So jumped on it. It was the combo I wanted so score. Thanks!
In your opinion do you think prices will depreciate much if I wait end of the year? Seems like 17 CPOs don't really drop in price, they stay in the 60-70k range
Old 03-26-19, 10:10 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwguy94
That's a good deal I'm glad it worked out for you. Locally there are 2 gsf but the dealers aren't willing to negotiate and they're not CPO. I'm at a point where I don't mind flying or driving to go pick up one. If I find one in the 56 to 60k range I'll jump on it but I don't see that happening until later in the year. In my opinion I want a CPO just for peace of mind. What do you think?
I would be only adamant about getting a CPO or an extended warranty on a BMW. I honestly won't have any qualms getting a GSF without one, provided I get a great inspection and a good maintenance history, both of which I got when I purchased mine in OCT 2017 with 9,500 miles for 57K.

Quick Reply: Help used market is scarce