Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

This thing is cursed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 02:59 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default This thing is cursed.

Third accident this car has been through. I swear this thing is cursed.

The story: Driving down narrow country road, F350 Dually goes over blind hill well in my lane. Doesn't react or anything, stays in my lane. I dodge him and put a wheel in the shoulder, lose control and land in a ditch on the opposite side of the road. Guy doesn't even stop, just keeps going.
The damage: Rear quarter panel has a big dent, front fender is destroyed, rocker panel may be worthless, front bumper has several cracks. Lower radiator support is snapped and bent significantly. Radiator shot, condenser bent, fan broken, fan shroud in pieces. Other misc damage around the fender liner and whatnot. Rock embedded into rear left tire's bead section. Paint is done for.

What i'm most concerned about is the lower rad support. I'm thinking I can just pull it and weld it back in place and go about my business or just buy a new part, cut the old one in the same place and weld that in. Anyone else done something like that?
Old 02-02-17, 07:45 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez. Nothing worse then people driving big trucks imo. They just don't seem to care about anyone else on the road, and have a "get out of my way" mentality. On top of that they're clueless when it comes to the dimensions of there ride, and usually can't park for ****. Sorry to see this **** happen, but if it's only a rad support I'd pick one from a junkyard for cheap or hit up aliga. It was kind of a pain in the *** when I took the radiator out of the SC400 for the timing belt, but you have a 300 which should be easier I think.
Old 02-03-17, 11:31 AM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

radiator on the sc3 is a 30 minute job TOPS, now that support in question, i wouldnt go with a weld i think you can find one cheap from a junkyard.
Old 02-03-17, 05:07 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

The part brand new from toyota (p/n 57104-24021) is 148, i'm just gonna buy one of them new because there's no SC's in junkyards around me. It will have to be welded in though unfortunately. The removal of the radiator was a breeze even if it was bent like hell and the condenser was in the way. Thanks for the support biddles, I agree completely, all the big pickup drivers i've seen are massive egotistical *******s.
Old 02-03-17, 05:38 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Had dash cam? Could report the truck to cops.
Old 02-04-17, 08:15 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or u are cursed when driving it , but seriously not nice to see or hear the accident to your precious Sc.
Old 02-05-17, 01:55 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Sorry to hear about your almost "hit and run". It may have been "better" to have been hit by the truck (side swiped) to establish fault. Any story that begins "narrow country road" will not go well for an SC.....

Since I have lowered our '92 the places it can traverse has been reduced..... (mostly parking lots and communities with radical speed bumps.....)
Old 02-05-17, 07:39 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

So sad a such a beautiful ride can't get a brake, *** hole drivers out there, at least you know who you're looking for on the roads
best of wishes, but it can all be fixed up not too expensive
Old 02-05-17, 07:41 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
So sad a such a beautiful ride can't get a brake, *** hole drivers out there, at least you know who you're looking for on the roads
best of wishes, but it can all be fixed up not too expensive
but spray all the dirt off to assess the damage first
Old 02-06-17, 05:35 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Got her apart to see all the damage. It's not bad at all to be honest, I can do it all easily. The big barrier now is money, just dropped 325 for the bumper. Needed one for a while but now I had enough of a reason to jump on it.

The only daunting part is the Rear quarter panel. Such a damn shame, it was so perfect, i would spend hours polishing and waxing it. I have like the slightest clue about panel repair but not enough to handle that bad of a crease. Both panels are trashed now so I might just bite the bullet and have them fixed professionally.

Rest of it can be replaced or reused. Not too upset about the rest of the paint, it was mostly trashed anyway, will end up shooting it all black again at some point. Just glad everything works still.

Thank you for all your support fellas, I'll never give up on this car, no matter what.
Old 02-06-17, 08:29 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fixed a lot of country road rash like that. Quarter pnl is the worst of it and will require some professional body equipment, so taking it to a pro for that is a good idea. The rest is bolt on. As for the core support, go to the junk yard if you can and have them section a piece for you to weld in. If a used one not available you will have to buy a replacement part, more than likely OEM.