Is this a good deal? Potential GS F buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 08:38 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by plex
Great price, I'm looking at IS-F's but also tracking GS-F's and the prices are overall lower than I expected but as some posters noted they got them new for $67K so that's a factor.
the $67K may have been an EXTREME situation where some buyers were able to combine dual rebates (one $7K rebate lexus was offering & one rebate for attending the lexus F driving school) & that too was only for the 2016 models, so cant base a number one one crazy deal, but i do get your point
Old 12-28-18, 05:50 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
the $67K may have been an EXTREME situation where some buyers were able to combine dual rebates (one $7K rebate lexus was offering & one rebate for attending the lexus F driving school) & that too was only for the 2016 models, so cant base a number one one crazy deal, but i do get your point
Absolutely. This is what most fail to realize is that these low prices for new GSFs were after the aggressive rebates being offered at the time. The 8k normal GSF debate and the driving event rebate which allowed people to buy the GSF at or a little under 70k.

That’s how I got my ‘17 for $70k.

People need to stop suggesting that a new GSF could be had for under 70k new. Not gonna happen unless we get those rebates again.
Old 12-28-18, 06:10 AM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dremonkey
Hey guys,

Really have been liking the look of the GS F and actually went in drove this car a couple days ago and enjoyed it. I was wondering if you guys thought it was a fair price?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Couple of n00b questions:
1. The main difference from the 16 models to newer is the suspension. Is this a game changer? I prob won't ever be on the track, just a commuter car.
2. Mileage seems low. Was it a track car?
3. I live in northern VA, will I have to swap for winter tires? This might be a decider for me, I don't want to have to do anything extra.

Thanks!
If you are spending 10s of thousands of dollars, get what you want. I wouldn't "save" a couple of thousand to forgo the suspension. I just got rid of my '18 GS F. I had it almost a year and it only had 2200 miles on it. Many people just don't drive these a lot. I offloaded my car for $65k one week ago. Lastly, if you live in a cold climate and don't want to deal with snow tire, you are looking at the wrong class of car. Even if t doesn't snow, below about 35 degrees, these tires are useless.
Old 12-28-18, 06:27 AM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
Not always the case, earlier this year I was offered a brand new '17 for $69k, no rebates or driving school discounts. Regrettably I passed on it.

Originally Posted by usafakid09
If you are spending 10s of thousands of dollars, get what you want. I wouldn't "save" a couple of thousand to forgo the suspension. I just got rid of my '18 GS F. I had it almost a year and it only had 2200 miles on it. Many people just don't drive these a lot. I offloaded my car for $65k one week ago. Lastly, if you live in a cold climate and don't want to deal with snow tire, you are looking at the wrong class of car. Even if t doesn't snow, below about 35 degrees, these tires are useless.
Damn, I would have been interested in it. For whatever reason there are very few pre-owned examples for sale in CA.

Old 12-28-18, 12:23 PM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
Not always the case, earlier this year I was offered a brand new '17 for $69k, no rebates or driving school discounts. Regrettably I passed on it.

Damn, I would have been interested in it. For whatever reason there are very few pre-owned examples for sale in CA.

There are very few I noticed. Should've advertised on here I suppose...oh well. I figured $65k was too much for most since all I see on here is people paying $67k for a brand new one...
Old 12-28-18, 04:16 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dremonkey
appreciate the help guys, i'm in no rush and i believe i'll get a 2017-18 for that price or maybe cheaper in a couple months!
I live in Williamsburg and just swapped out my summer times for continental extreme contact DSWs. I’ll put the summer tires back on in spring. First 30 deg day with the summer tires and you’d wish you had all seasons. Don’t even talk about getting caught in snow with summer tires on these cars. Not sure if you Garage your cars or not, I do, but leaving the car out in the below freezing cold with summer tires is also a no no.

I picked up my L/certified ‘16 in October for high $54K with similar miles. The one you’re looking at is the closest I’ve seen in price and mileage to mine since then.
Old 12-28-18, 05:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

off topic, but looks like 25 new GSFs nationwide in the country vs 7-8 AMG M5s. End of the year might as well try and feel the market
Old 12-30-18, 08:59 AM
GSForBust
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was added to another thread, but might be relevant here as well.

Ive been watching GSF prices closely for well over a year. The depreciation is beginning to accelerate again. My recommendation would be to let the economy tank and pick one up. Right now we're beyond full employment, but the stock market is dropping into bear market territory. Unless the fed stops raising rates or drops them, the stock market will foretell the broader economy. In this situation, the leading indicator is suggesting we're in for some hurt. Additionally, every rate hike is a decrease in asset prices cost to cost. Especially if we see the US piggy bank (housing) take a hit, people will be forced to spend at their actual income levels again (that's not good).

I would guess we have a year of "flat" movement in the economy until we have something systemically critical break. Once this happens, we'll be in a deep deep deep recession. My price point is roughly $40k low miles one owner. Yes, I can "afford" more, but I'm not in the habit of picking up "assets" at their peak depreciation. According to my charts, we're at around $1,500/mo depreciation if you look at a trend line over the past 3 months ($55k retail 9/7/2018 vs $50k retail 12/16/2018 using KBB). I personally will never purchase a car that depreciates more than a payment spread over a maximum amount of time. I say max time only because the fed WILL drop rates to at or below zero during the next recession. I want low asset prices at high rates (flexibility to refinance).

Now of course I adjust my target price in relation to market movements. I'm not in any rush to pick up something that depreciates and AM in a rush to pick up foreign (mostly Chinese) assets and commodities before the next bust. Theoretically I've been taking 3x the payment of a GSF and putting it into areas of the market I think will explode in short order with the goal of paying cash for the GSF without dipping into savings. Of course this is my fun money, not actual retirement savings.

That being said, if you make $250k+ with no liabilities in a secure field, do what makes you happy.
Old 12-31-18, 08:17 AM
sorcereur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,
First time posting here as a new owner but I’ll introduce myself a bit later in a new thread. I’ve been eyeing the market for one of these for a few months now and decided to pull the trigger on a 2017.
For those on the fence and looking for new, they are letting of those go at around $67k without any special offerings or rebates. There’s a new 2017 at Len Stoler Lexus in MD that I considered and on a simple ask for their asking price they said $67k. That car is still there for anybody looking.
the anniversary editions may not be going for that price but in 2years i expect it will.
For now I went with a 2017 with 5k miles at $60k only because I didn’t want to eat that initial depreciation of a new one the moment I drive off the lot. There’s nothing this one is missing that the new one has in mine opinion.
Others may say that I overpaid and that they’re depreciating too fast or what not, but what car doesn’t? I wanted a daily driver that short of any unforeseen circumstances, God willing, I wouldn’t be selling or trading anytime soon. I wanted one of these for their reliability and fun factor as a long term car so depreciation doesn’t really matter to me. They don’t make them like this anymore. Very impressed with the vehicle so far. I’ll create a post later with pix and a review of my opinion so far.