GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Heated Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 10:18 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel

Does anyone have a heated steering wheel on their GS-F? Does not seem to be available.

The following users liked this post:
WaterFish (05-10-20)
Old 09-30-18, 01:08 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by obadea
Does anyone have a heated steering wheel on their GS-F? Does not seem to be available.
I can't really tell you anything about the GSF since I have a GS350 with cold weather package and it came with the heated steering wheel... but I did tear apart the steering wheel and want to share some pictures so it can give you an idea of what is in it.

This is how my steering wheel looked from the factory

The cable with the black electrical tape with the connector is the wire that plugs into the heating unit

The black piece of plastic is the heating unit itself where the white connector in the previous picture connects to. It's a small piece of plastic at the bottom of the steering wheel. All you need to make sure is you get a clock spring that has a heating wire (in addition to your regular air bag/horn wires). The clockspring heating wire connects to the fat white connector there. Very simple. I added a picture of the clockspring to help.

I ripped apart the side grips to see what makes the steering wheel heatup. Turns out to be just a bunch of copper wires on an insulated pad. This is the same cable with the electrical tape around it a couple of pictures up.

Close-up view of the heating pad.

Everything taken apart.

New wheel hooked up. Unfortunately, I lost the heating capability temporarily because I did not want to rip apart the side grips on my new wheel and re-install the heating pads. The heating unit is still installed but doesn't do anything (obviously since the pads aren't installed). I may eventually take apart the red sidegrips and install the heating pads once I find a good seamstress LOL.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it's not difficult to retrofit the heating unit if you want to spend the time and money. I am in the Northeast USA and it gets pretty dang cold up here so the heating unit is almost a must!

Hope this helps someone in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
Autobacs (05-17-20), tlove8 (05-10-20)
Old 09-30-18, 04:48 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

For the US market it was decided not to give us that option or the auto trunk,auto sun screens,rear heated seats and rear arm rest radio/ac,heat control module. Thanks Lexus USA!! you suck..lol. The 10 year GSF has a heated steering wheel. But the kick to the face..the lower GS350 in the US has the luxury package and those things above are on the lower model GS. Makes no sense. Oh yeah..every other country gets those options that we do not. .
Old 09-30-18, 05:53 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
For the US market it was decided not to give us that option or the auto trunk,auto sun screens,rear heated seats and rear arm rest radio/ac,heat control module. Thanks Lexus USA!! you suck..lol. The 10 year GSF has a heated steering wheel. But the kick to the face..the lower GS350 in the US has the luxury package and those things above are on the lower model GS. Makes no sense. Oh yeah..every other country gets those options that we do not. .
Thank you for the answer. I have a 2013 AWD with Luxury Package right now, and thinking about a used GS-F. I would be losing a few features, but also gaining. I don't have the HUB or ML right now.
Old 10-01-18, 10:25 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I couldnt care less for the heated wheel, I had it on my previous vehicle and never used it. The sun screens (all three in the rear, especially the power rear shade) does sting.
Old 10-02-18, 03:59 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texaslexii
I couldnt care less for the heated wheel, I had it on my previous vehicle and never used it. The sun screens (all three in the rear, especially the power rear shade) does sting.
One more question. One my current GS, the climate temperature settings get memorized with the memory seats (When I open the doors, it goes back to my settings and same for my wife). Is that true in the GSF as well?

thank you
Old 10-03-18, 12:04 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I can attest to that...

Old 10-04-18, 11:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by 16GSF00336
I can attest to that...
That being the case, it might be an easy retrofit. Just get the heated wheel and the switch and you're all good.
Old 10-05-18, 08:16 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That being the case, it might be an easy retrofit. Just get the heated wheel and the switch and you're all good.
Not that easy. You will need to purchase the correct clock spring with the heater connection, see below for mine. It's the short cable.

Old 10-05-18, 10:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes indeed they have separate part numbers for the clock spring with and without heated steering wheels. That just made it stupid expensive unless you find a junkyard GS with a heated steering wheel.

The heated unit from Lexus is about $1000 give or take a small amount depending on the retailer.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-05-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 01:47 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

The heated unit from Lexus is about $1000
whisky tango foxtrot

EDIT: just checked car-part, two found in Canada, no price listed. Is there a part number for the clockspring with the heated element?

Last edited by texaslexii; 10-05-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 03:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

84308-53020. Runs about $250 all by itself. $550 if you buy it with the sensor. Not sure if you need the sensor matched to the clockspring.
Old 10-05-18, 06:13 PM
eddie420

84308-53020. Runs about $250 all by itself. $550 if you buy it with the sensor. Not sure if you need the sensor matched to the clockspring.
Angle sensor is not needed since you already have it. Just need to get the clockspring, that's all. And the heated steering wheel ofcourse.
Old 10-13-18, 01:36 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eddie420
Angle sensor is not needed since you already have it. Just need to get the clockspring, that's all. And the heated steering wheel ofcourse.
I was told I also needed this

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-control-assy-heater~55910-53011.html?Make=Lexus&Model=GS+F&Year=2016&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=steering-wheel,,55910E

Lexus Part No.: 55910-53011
CONTROL ASSY, HEATER

Not even sure what this does. So just to confirm, all you need is the steering wheel, the dash button and the clockspring? No other relays or anything else? Can you also post the part number for "SWITCH, STEERING HEATER"?

Thanks

Last edited by texaslexii; 10-13-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 04:29 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

would be willing to do a retrofit on my 16 GS-F. going to wait for someone else to do it first though

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel