GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Make the jump??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 05:44 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Make the jump??

Greetings all! I currently own a 2015 GS350 nebula grey fsport with about 43K miles. I've been browsing the GSF forum for quite some time now just to get great info on the car, that I don't have easy access to in my local area. First let me get this out the way, I absolutely LOVE my GS and have nothing negative to say about it. I am the original owner of the vehicle and have the car for about 2 years now. Another bonus for me is the car is paid for!

The dilemma is I find myself always browsing for the GSF, because a part of me wants that V8 power! I've seen a few 16s ranging between 50-60k price with fairly low mileage in between 10-20k. For the ones who made the switch from GS350 to GSF, what has been the pros and cons? Was it worth it? Also with 19 right around the corner, would it really be worth jumping into a 16 for that price, when I know I have a paid for GS350?

I know my choice would be a little easier to make if I had access to drive one to really know, but as I stated before I don't have access to a GSF in my local area. Hopefully sometime in the near future I'll carve out some time over a weekend to drive to ATL and test drive one.

Last edited by spiveyb; 09-11-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 08:21 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly, I think you already know the answer but you're asking for validation. Every GSF owner here will say it's worth the jump. It's like why settle for a Civic Si when you can get a Type R, or WRX over a STi. And I'm sure you have seen all of the GSF videos on YouTube to know it's worth the jump.

I think at this point it comes down to what financial situation you're in since your heart already knows what you want.

The GS is paid off with a quieter, softer ride, and better gas mileage. Are you financially able to buy a GSF, factoring in higher maintenance (tires/brakes) and gas costs, for a significant performance gain and dynamic experience?

After all, it's just a depreciating piece of metal. There are other priorities in life that are more important and require your utmost attention. I'm only saying this because this car ain't no chump change. If you got the money, make the jump for sure. If not, then be happy with the GS because at the end of the day you're still rolling in a 5 series equivalent mid size sedan.
The following 2 users liked this post by SolidG1:
spiveyb (09-12-18), texaslexii (09-18-18)
Old 09-11-18, 10:04 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I made the jump late last year from a 2015 GS 350 F-Sport. I was hesitant and debated long and hard over my decision to jump as well. The F-Sport was an excellent car with absolutely no complaints. It had only 38K miles when I sold it. I had moments of buyer's remorse, even unto this day. But when I fire it up and hear that deep rumble of the mighty (too me) V8, all my regrets subside. There's just something about that sound and the power as you accelerate that just quickens your soul and gets your heart to pumping.

Please don't get me wrong, the GS F is not without it's shortcomings (again, my opinion). The cabin is noisy: I seem to have a bit of wind noise around the driver's window, road noise from the tires and the driver's and passenger's windows are single pane (Temperlite). The GS 350 had double pane Lamisafe glass.

You won't get great gas mileage (it's a high performance V8) and oil changes are every 5K. Oh, and it's a stiff, jiggly ride, unless you get the 17 or 18, so I've read on this forum. To sum it up, I could have saved approximately $25K - $30K and kept my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport and been perfectly content. However, when I fire up that V8, all bets are off and all logic goes out the window.

I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
spiveyb (09-12-18)
Old 09-11-18, 11:23 PM
916gs400
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Never a bad idea to own a GSF but if I was in your situation and knowing what I know now. In my opinion I would stay with the gs350 and opt for a nice fun sports car, c6 z06 or 997 Carrera, which can be had in the mid 30’s now. I drive to work 10 miles each way in traffic and on weekends it’s shorts drives to run errands/family in car, so its hard to go “crazy” in it. and when I do get on it it’s fun but doesn’t have the fun factor of a manual.
spiveyb (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 12:04 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 916gs400
Never a bad idea to own a GSF but if I was in your situation and knowing what I know now. In my opinion I would stay with the gs350 and opt for a nice fun sports car, c6 z06 or 997 Carrera, which can be had in the mid 30’s now. I drive to work 10 miles each way in traffic and on weekends it’s shorts drives to run errands/family in car, so its hard to go “crazy” in it. and when I do get on it it’s fun but doesn’t have the fun factor of a manual.

I agree with this gentleman. If a second car can be had, I would go for a used Corvette C7 Stingray or Porsche Carrera S 997.2 or what ever tickles your fancy while keeping your paid off GS350 F Sport for daily use. The GS-F is awesome car if you can only have one car. The only thing stopping me from buying a GS-F is because I need a AWD car to get me through blizzards and such. You only live once. And last time I checked they don’t sell cars in heaven.
spiveyb (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 04:07 AM
spiveyb
Driver

All great points! I knew that I wasn't tripping about having hesitation of making the jump, regardless if I can afford the GSF or not. I toyed around with the idea of still keeping my GS and have the GSF as the weekend car. But being realistic, I would need to sell in order to get the GSF. I like the idea of getting a second car that costs half the price. Maybe this time next year the prices will make a significant drop for the 16s.
Old 09-12-18, 05:14 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by highrev6

I agree with this gentleman. If a second car can be had, I would go for a used Corvette C7 Stingray or Porsche Carrera S 997.2 or what ever tickles your fancy while keeping your paid off GS350 F Sport for daily use. The GS-F is awesome car if you can only have one car. The only thing stopping me from buying a GS-F is because I need a AWD car to get me through blizzards and such. You only live once. And last time I checked they don’t sell cars in heaven.
How would you know if you've never been 🤔 lol

Old 09-15-18, 12:10 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by spiveyb
All great points! I knew that I wasn't tripping about having hesitation of making the jump, regardless if I can afford the GSF or not. I toyed around with the idea of still keeping my GS and have the GSF as the weekend car. But being realistic, I would need to sell in order to get the GSF. I like the idea of getting a second car that costs half the price. Maybe this time next year the prices will make a significant drop for the 16s.
I would not have both the GS350 and a GSF, the performance differential is not big enough IMO to justify having both. A second car only makes sense, one, you can afford it, and two, you have two distinctly different cars to give you true variety. If you can realistically and practically afford just one car for now, go for the GSF!
Old 09-15-18, 06:39 AM
TARS
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I would not have both the GS350 and a GSF, the performance differential is not big enough IMO to justify having both. A second car only makes sense, one, you can afford it, and two, you have two distinctly different cars to give you true variety. If you can realistically and practically afford just one car for now, go for the GSF!
I'll be the one to disagree... There is no performance comparison between the GS-F and the GS-350... If the comparison was between an IS-F and a GS-F, then it will be a different story. In my GS-F, I'm constantly destroying N/A Corvettes, Mustangs and Challengers with great satisfaction and to their disbelieve. In the track, I can hang with Porche 718 GT4s, all BMW M cars and some 911s. Granted, my 2018 GS-F is significantly modified from the first day that I got it, but therein also lies one of its greatest advantages vs the GS-350. In other words, there is a robust availability of very high quality accessories and aftermarket parts that could significantly improve or at the very least customize your car in a very satisfying way.

Not that there are no aftermarket parts available for the GS-350 (there are plenty), its just that they will be tilted much more towards looks than performance as the base car is also tilted much more towards looks and comfort, than the GS-F formula. I own a 2016 GS-350 F-Sport that my wife daily and when the moment came to look for another car (after having some M and AMG cars) we decided to definitely keep the GS-350 and get the GS-F. We love the way that both look as a pair and since I do all the maintenance for both cars, its also a very practical approach from that angle.

If I were you (not knowing every variable of course) I will keep the paid off GS-350 for daily use (as some here have suggested) and then if I could, I'll also get a 17 or newer GS-F; mod it somewhat, and have fun with it as I flip off the neighbors. However, if I could only have one, I will sell or trade the GS-350 and get a 17 or newer GS-F as my daily toy/transport. I will probably still flip off the neighbors, but in that case the irony of having "two of the same car" will not be as obvious and curious.

Good luck!
1BlinkGone (09-20-18)
Old 09-15-18, 02:15 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TARS
I'll be the one to disagree... There is no performance comparison between the GS-F and the GS-350... If the comparison was between an IS-F and a GS-F, then it will be a different story. In my GS-F, I'm constantly destroying N/A Corvettes, Mustangs and Challengers with great satisfaction and to their disbelieve. In the track, I can hang with Porche 718 GT4s, all BMW M cars and some 911s. Granted, my 2018 GS-F is significantly modified from the first day that I got it, but therein also lies one of its greatest advantages vs the GS-350. In other words, there is a robust availability of very high quality accessories and aftermarket parts that could significantly improve or at the very least customize your car in a very satisfying way.

Not that there are no aftermarket parts available for the GS-350 (there are plenty), its just that they will be tilted much more towards looks than performance as the base car is also tilted much more towards looks and comfort, than the GS-F formula. I own a 2016 GS-350 F-Sport that my wife daily and when the moment came to look for another car (after having some M and AMG cars) we decided to definitely keep the GS-350 and get the GS-F. We love the way that both look as a pair and since I do all the maintenance for both cars, its also a very practical approach from that angle.

If I were you (not knowing every variable of course) I will keep the paid off GS-350 for daily use (as some here have suggested) and then if I could, I'll also get a 17 or newer GS-F; mod it somewhat, and have fun with it as I flip off the neighbors. However, if I could only have one, I will sell or trade the GS-350 and get a 17 or newer GS-F as my daily toy/transport. I will probably still flip off the neighbors, but in that case the irony of having "two of the same car" will not be as obvious and curious.

Good luck!
You misunderstood my point, I said the performance differential between the GSF and the GS350 is not big enough IMO. There IS as a difference, I never said there was not The GSF is not going to hang with an M3/M4 or a Corvette, as much as I love my GSF, in a race track with long straights, 1/4 mile drag race, or 1/2 mile roll racing. In the street or a highly technical track, yes, given the same level of driver skill.

Last edited by Autobacs; 09-15-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 05:15 PM
TARS
Driver

You misunderstood my point, I said the performance differential between the GSF and the GS350 is not big enough IMO. There IS as a difference, I never said there was not The GSF is not going to hang with an M3/M4 or a Corvette, as much as I love my GSF, in a race track with long straights, 1/4 mile drag race, or 1/2 mile roll racing. In the street or a highly technical track, yes, given the same level of driver skill.
Got it, your point is that IYO the differences in performance between both is not big enough or significant enough to justify having both as they are too similar, or not sufficiently apart in terms of performance. If that's it, I think I got it all along and I do respect your appreciation. My point on the other hand is that IMO they are in fact so far apart performance wise, that its actually an unfair comparison at best. Same is true of a normal 5 Series BMW and its M5 version. They might look, and to a degree feel similar, but they are very very different experiences, capabilities and performance; they have different purposes. These differences are valued in subjective ways and to different degrees by the owners, so I can understand your position completely.

I can agree with you on 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile roll, long straights etc, if we are comparing against much more powerful cars like ZO6's or Hellcats. I however, try to be fair and specific when comparing these kinds of cars and their track performance, especially when we talk about force induction vs N/A, weight, etc. I defend the GSF as it seems to always surprise me more and more. I think it under promises and over delivers a lot of times. Technical tracks as you mentioned are ideal and very fun and usually render good results for the GSF. The Corvettes that I can beat are all N/A, not the ZR1s... So long as the comparisons are made in a fair and specific way, the GSF can be better that what a lot of people in this forum seem to believe.
Autobacs (09-15-18)
Old 09-15-18, 07:44 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by anbark22
I made the jump late last year from a 2015 GS 350 F-Sport. I was hesitant and debated long and hard over my decision to jump as well. The F-Sport was an excellent car with absolutely no complaints. It had only 38K miles when I sold it. I had moments of buyer's remorse, even unto this day. But when I fire it up and hear that deep rumble of the mighty (too me) V8, all my regrets subside. There's just something about that sound and the power as you accelerate that just quickens your soul and gets your heart to pumping.

Please don't get me wrong, the GS F is not without it's shortcomings (again, my opinion). The cabin is noisy: I seem to have a bit of wind noise around the driver's window, road noise from the tires and the driver's and passenger's windows are single pane (Temperlite). The GS 350 had double pane Lamisafe glass.

You won't get great gas mileage (it's a high performance V8) and oil changes are every 5K. Oh, and it's a stiff, jiggly ride, unless you get the 17 or 18, so I've read on this forum. To sum it up, I could have saved approximately $25K - $30K and kept my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport and been perfectly content. However, when I fire up that V8, all bets are off and all logic goes out the window.

I hope this helps.
I went from rc200t > RCF and yeah pretty much what this guy said. its a big financial jump and I still have some remorse but I have had some crazy moments in my car, like racing r8 and mclarens (barely lost against the r8, mclaren smoked me) and other stuff like going to car shows. Basically OP if your not a serious car person then dont do it. its kinda funny but I hadn't realized I do kinda regret it until I drive it, then I think ok yeah it was worth it.
Old 09-15-18, 10:17 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TARS
Got it, your point is that IYO the differences in performance between both is not big enough or significant enough to justify having both as they are too similar, or not sufficiently apart in terms of performance. If that's it, I think I got it all along and I do respect your appreciation. My point on the other hand is that IMO they are in fact so far apart performance wise, that its actually an unfair comparison at best. Same is true of a normal 5 Series BMW and its M5 version. They might look, and to a degree feel similar, but they are very very different experiences, capabilities and performance; they have different purposes. These differences are valued in subjective ways and to different degrees by the owners, so I can understand your position completely.

I can agree with you on 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile roll, long straights etc, if we are comparing against much more powerful cars like ZO6's or Hellcats. I however, try to be fair and specific when comparing these kinds of cars and their track performance, especially when we talk about force induction vs N/A, weight, etc. I defend the GSF as it seems to always surprise me more and more. I think it under promises and over delivers a lot of times. Technical tracks as you mentioned are ideal and very fun and usually render good results for the GSF. The Corvettes that I can beat are all N/A, not the ZR1s... So long as the comparisons are made in a fair and specific way, the GSF can be better that what a lot of people in this forum seem to believe.
Don't get me wrong, I love the GSF, notwithstanding the fact that some cars in its class are a bit faster in outright speed. I love its handling, and like Jeremy Clarkson said, it feels like you're driving a smaller car. Hard to believe it's actually a bit longer and even a little heavier than a GTR because it is definitely feels a bit more nimble. It's a great daily driver and so easy and fun to drive. As I'm sure you will agree, pure speed alone does not make a better car, and the GSF is very much underrated in its class. That, and its Lexus reliability definitely makes it a winner.
TARS (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 04:35 AM
TARS
Driver

Don't get me wrong, I love the GSF, notwithstanding the fact that some cars in its class are a bit faster in outright speed. I love its handling, and like Jeremy Clarkson said, it feels like you're driving a smaller car. Hard to believe it's actually a bit longer and even a little heavier than a GTR because it is definitely feels a bit more nimble. It's a great daily driver and so easy and fun to drive. As I'm sure you will agree, pure speed alone does not make a better car, and the GSF is very much underrated in its class. That, and its Lexus reliability definitely makes it a winner.
I concur with you 100% on everything that you said here about the GSF, its pros and its shortcomings. I also want to point out that to your point on reliability, the GSF feels that what ever it promises, it delivers, consistently and reliably. Last BMW in my experience to be this way was the great E46 M3. After that, the tendency to take away displacement (amongst other things) and fill the gap with cheap turbos seems to have taken away the soul and reliability of a lot of cars. Not all of course, I absolutely love the M5 and its twin turbo V8 and ridiculous performance figures... The only problem is that its almost double the price of a GS-F, so a comparison is kind of unfair. The real problem for me is embodied in something like a 2019 Audi RS5... A 2.9L twin turbo Dyson vacuum cleaner that lacks most things that I have come to appreciate in cars.
Old 09-18-18, 03:06 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

driver's and passenger's windows are single pane (Temperlite). The GS 350 had double pane Lamisafe glass.
It'd be hella nice if they could be swapped over...

You won't get great gas mileage (it's a high performance V8)
In eco, I have gotten 26 hwy and 20 city, driving like a 120 year-old grandma with two left feet...

and oil changes are every 5K.
yeah this one sucks

Oh, and it's a stiff, jiggly ride, unless you get the 17 or 18, so I've read on this forum.
that would be extremely correct based on the 10 or so cars I drove

To sum it up, I could have saved approximately $25K - $30K and kept my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport and been perfectly content. However, when I fire up that V8, all bets are off and all logic goes out the window.
Damn right it does!
anbark22 (09-18-18)

Quick Reply: Make the jump??