GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GS F Brake Notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 05:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default GS F Brake Notes

The light for the brakes came on a day or so ago, so I ordered new pads. From Lexus. It's the wife's car. If it were mine, I'd be ordering something from Speedfreaks, but she's happy with the OEM performance, so I won't change it. Because the light is so annoying, I did a quick inspection to determine what I needed to do to suppress the light while I wait for the new pads to arrive. It also afforded the opportunity to check up and see the condition of the entire system.

First - the wear indicator is ridiculously conservative. Lexus service manual specs for pad wear are 9.43mm new, 1mm replace. The light comes on at 2mm, not 1mm. So, if you replace the pads when the indicator lights, you're throwing15% of the factory allowed wear in the trash. Not my idea of frugal at all, but I am sure the lawyers did that, not the engineers. In all likelihood the engineers spec'd 1mm and the lawyers said turn on the light at 2mm so the operator will have to stare at a warning light for a very long time before we go metal to metal. Like 6 months or more...

Second - removing the sensors and shorting the wires with any available technology will turn off the light. Yeah!!! No light while I wait a few days for pads to show up. Truth be told, with 2mm of pad left, I could probably go to 30k miles on these pads.

Third - the rear pads are not nearly as robust as other cars I have owned. Most of them went at least 2 fronts to 1 rear, but from what I can tell, the rears won't last the full way through another set of fronts. Interesting. My IS F has never worn out a set of rear pads in 150k miles. I changed them at 120k because I wanted to match the grip of the fronts, but for no other reason. I could never expect that from the GS F.

Last - if there is interest, I'll take pics when I do the brakes and post a thread. If not, I'll just get the job done. Post up if you think there is value in a brake DIY thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
death (09-26-20), finny76 (04-12-18), IMAGINTHAT (09-16-20)
Old 04-11-18, 07:45 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one would be interested in seeing the pics of involved work. Seems brakes on every car ends up being just enough different when changing pads.
Old 04-12-18, 05:25 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd be interested as well. I've done brakes on dozens of cars, but would be interested in some focus on pressing the 6 pistons in (tools, etc) without chipping up the calipers.
Old 04-12-18, 05:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I already did this on mine with a 1" x 1" piece of oak against the caliper and some large adjustable jaw pliers. Piece of cake, no scratches on anything. You can do the same thing with a C clamp if you want to go slow. I just squeezed on the ears of the pad backing plate with the block protecting the caliper.
Old 04-15-18, 01:06 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Any updates to this? As summer fast approaches with track time coming up, would like to replace brakes with something more performance oriented. Really would like to see a write up and am very interested in how you compressed the brake calipers

Also, you mentioned that if it were your car, you would get brakes from speedfreaks, what brake pads would you recommend? If you could link to them that would be much appreciated as I trust your word since it looks like you track your ISF.
Old 04-15-18, 02:44 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Good info Lance. Thanks
Old 04-15-18, 10:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Pads are due to arrive on Wednesday. I'll do a full write up then.
The following users liked this post:
Miznthrope (04-17-18)
Old 04-22-18, 06:05 PM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you just changing the pads or the pads and rotors too? My dealership advised that my pads are at 5mm, so they recommended that I changed the front brake pads and rotors. Do I need to change the rotors too? I have about 24,500 miles.
Old 04-22-18, 06:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by frugaldiva
Are you just changing the pads or the pads and rotors too? My dealership advised that my pads are at 5mm, so they recommended that I changed the front brake pads and rotors. Do I need to change the rotors too? I have about 24,500 miles.
I would abandon that dealership and tell them I don't like being ripped off. The pads are 9.34mm thick brand new. They are good to 1mm according to the factory manual. The brake pad wear indicator light comes on with 2mm of pad left. If you have 5mm left, you're at barely 50% of the standard service life.

Change the rotors? Not even a SMALL chance. They're far less than 50% worn, and there's no way yours are significantly worn either. You're being scammed by the oldest dealer scam in the book - unnecessary brake maintenance. Seriously, I would run from that dealership, they are not your friends.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
JColeGSF (06-09-20), TrevorR (04-22-18)
Old 04-22-18, 06:45 PM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I would abandon that dealership and tell them I don't like being ripped off. The pads are 9.34mm thick brand new. They are good to 1mm according to the factory manual. The brake pad wear indicator light comes on with 2mm of pad left. If you have 5mm left, you're at barely 50% of the standard service life.

Change the rotors? Not even a SMALL chance. They're far less than 50% worn, and there's no way yours are significantly worn either. You're being scammed by the oldest dealer scam in the book - unnecessary brake maintenance. Seriously, I would run from that dealership, they are not your friends.
THANK YOU so much for your advise. Being a girl, my service advisor assumed that I don't know any better. I also asked my dad over the phone earlier today, and he told me I definitely won't need new rotors, it doesn't make sense...Yes, I don't know much about cars, but that's why I joined this forum and ask.
The following users liked this post:
NinjaNap (09-24-20)
Old 04-22-18, 08:35 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by frugaldiva
THANK YOU so much for your advise. Being a girl, my service advisor assumed that I don't know any better. I also asked my dad over the phone earlier today, and he told me I definitely won't need new rotors, it doesn't make sense...Yes, I don't know much about cars, but that's why I joined this forum and ask.
Like lobux said, you have tons of life in your brake pads left. Also like lobux said, when the brake lights do come on, they come on prematurely and you probably have a little bit to go at that point. But me personally, I would just replace them shortly after the light comes on.

Brake rotors shouldn't need to be replaced with pads unless the rotors are warped and have significant wear. I've never heard of with maintenance that rotors have to be replaced at the same time. Rotors should outlive pads 2-3 times or 80k miles (Under normal conditions) but it is a good measure to measure them everytime you replace the pads. This is depending on how you drive the car of course, stop and go traffic, etc.

Essentially, you don't need brake maintenance, I hate how they take advantage of women at the dealership. I always go with my fiance so that they're not gonna rip her off.
Old 04-26-18, 07:12 AM
Coveted
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Results

Pads are due to arrive on Wednesday. I'll do a full write up then.
I actually just had my light come on.. Dealer parts department quoted me at $536.00 for front pads with sensors and $620.00 rear pads with sensors..

I'm wondering weather i even need to replace sensors.. lol
Old 04-26-18, 12:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I paid $298 for the front OEM pads with new sensors included. Pretty hard to beat. I spent a while on the job, but it could be done quickly if need be. I spent about 4 hours on it, but cleaned up the calipers and did some other checks while the car was off the ground. I didn't have help, so I only took a couple of pictures. It really is a simple job. Messy as all get out, but simple. Note the open bleeder - this makes compressing the pistons a cake walk, and the fluid in the calipers is the most degraded if you've got the brakes hot at all. Earl's Solobleeders are next!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-26-18 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 07:26 PM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Update: I just went in for my service (currently, at 27k now), and my front brake pads are at 3mm. Lexus quoted me $900 for new front brake pads resurface brake rotor. I am contacting the service manager since in Dec, I was quoted $500 for new pads and rotors (I even have the print out for that quote) and now they want $900. I save all of my diagnostic reports. Because I am a women, they "think" they can get more money from me, but I do try to do my homework first. Where did you purchase the OEM pads for $298? I would like to purchase it and take it to an outside shop to get it done. Thank you for all of your advise!
Old 06-23-18, 07:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^You do not need to and should not resurface the rotors

From another thread:

MyLParts - forum sponsor - sells the full front brake kit with pads and sensors for $298 with the ClubLexus discount and free shipping. That's where I got mine.

The sensors are destroyed by brake wear, so unless you bypass the sensor, you'll have the warning lit all the time even when you have good pads. Bypassing the sensor isn't hard if you know what it does.
Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 06-23-18 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: GS F Brake Notes