GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

New (to me) GS F, I have a question about the bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 01:44 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New (to me) GS F, I have a question about the bumper

I took delivery of my 2016 Liquid Platinum GS F on yesterday and I am really excited about it. I averaged 26.0 mpg as I drove from Augusta, Ga to Jacksonville, FL on mixed Interstate, state and county roads. It was a nice ride but certainly not as smooth as my current 2015 GS 350 F-Sport, which I hope to sell within the next few days / weeks. Anyway, my question is about the front bumper and honeycomb grill. As you can see from the attached pics, the horizontal bumper bar behind the mesh (honeycomb) grill appears to be quite visible, especially in sunlight, given the black mesh grill. It's the same silver color as the car. Shouldn't it be gray or black and less noticeable? Your thoughts and opinions please.
Attached Thumbnails New (to me) GS F, I have a question about the bumper-img_0284.jpg   New (to me) GS F, I have a question about the bumper-img_0285.jpg  
Old 12-28-17, 03:24 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 GSF white exterior and that piece on my car is black. Not sure if the 2016 were different.
Old 12-28-17, 04:43 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2016. It should be black. Hate to ask, but any signs of paint work?
The following users liked this post:
anbark22 (01-12-18)
Old 12-28-17, 06:28 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Per the Lexus of Augusta Dealership service history, the passenger side bumper was "SUBLET TO REFINISH FRONT BUMPER per customer request", when it had 589 miles on it. Apparently they did an excellent job because I did not notice the horizontal bar color until this morning. The car literally looks brand new, inside and out, as it had only 8,900 miles on it when I bought it yesterday. Teutonic, you just hit the jackpot!!! Apparently they refinished the complete bumper, including the cross bar. I'll contact Lexus tomorrow morning to see what can be done. Unfortunately, I am about 280 miles from Augusta, so maybe they can rectify this at my local dealership.
Thanks again!!
Old 12-30-17, 08:46 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

You're missing a center plastic piece:

Originally Posted by anbark22
I took delivery of my 2016 Liquid Platinum GS F on yesterday and I am really excited about it. I averaged 26.0 mpg as I drove from Augusta, Ga to Jacksonville, FL on mixed Interstate, state and county roads. It was a nice ride but certainly not as smooth as my current 2015 GS 350 F-Sport, which I hope to sell within the next few days / weeks. Anyway, my question is about the front bumper and honeycomb grill. As you can see from the attached pics, the horizontal bumper bar behind the mesh (honeycomb) grill appears to be quite visible, especially in sunlight, given the black mesh grill. It's the same silver color as the car. Shouldn't it be gray or black and less noticeable? Your thoughts and opinions please.
finny76 (01-01-18)
Old 01-12-18, 08:49 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Teutonic
I have a 2016. It should be black. Hate to ask, but any signs of paint work?
Well, I visited several paint and body shops today to determined what was going on with my bumper. Teutonic, you were correct. It appears that the bumper was repainted and the painter painted the whole bumper silver, including the center horizontal cross member. Estimates range from $250 to $350 to repaint the center bar black again.
Old 01-12-18, 08:59 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

That much? It's black paint over a horizontal bar. Spray paint would even do the trick.
Old 01-12-18, 09:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^Not if you expected it to last and not chip away.

Lou
Old 01-12-18, 10:22 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

It's unfortunate, but true. The bumper was painted at some pointe. The correct way to fix will be to remove the bumper, and remove all items attached. Then mask and repaint center black. Dealer where purchased should pick up this tab?

Here is a pick of what your looking at...

anbark22 (01-29-18)
Old 01-13-18, 12:14 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by yardie876
That much? It's black paint over a horizontal bar. Spray paint would even do the trick.
Yes, the thought occurred to me. However, each shop I visited stated that the paint must be clear coated, otherwise rock chips would soon be revealed and the silver will show again.
Old 01-13-18, 12:20 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by biggame
It's unfortunate, but true. The bumper was painted at some pointe. The correct way to fix will be to remove the bumper, and remove all items attached. Then mask and repaint center black. Dealer where purchased should pick up this tab?

Here is a pick of what your looking at...

Biggame, you are correct. The bulk of the cost is for removal and reinstall of the bumper. Also, the silver paint on the bar has to be sanded so they can apply the black paint and then the clear coats to prevent the rock chips.
Also, where did you find the parts diagram for the bumper? I had been searching the web for a while to find such detail.
Thank you,
Old 01-13-18, 12:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by 16GSF00336
You're missing a center plastic piece:
Edit my idiot post. Here's what happened - the crossbar is plastic, not aluminum. It is a part of the bumper cover. When they sprayed the bumper cover, they should have masked off the cross bar to keep it's plastic surface intact. It is NOT painted from the factory at all. They sprayed the whole thing and reassembled, so it has been painted when it should not have been. Not sure how to fix this correctly without replacing the bumper cover at this point. Any paint is going to chip where the OEM setup will just have minor damage to a raw plastic surface. Technically, it needs to be stripped, not painted.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-13-18 at 01:01 PM.
anbark22 (01-29-18)
Old 01-13-18, 01:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^Yep, sounds to me! Shop really screwed the pooch on this one. I guess another shop could spray it in flat black, bake it, and then put on 3M film

Lou
Old 01-13-18, 02:30 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Between removal and installation of the bumper cover, and minor paint work at body shop rates it's super easy to get to the $250-350 number
Old 01-13-18, 06:29 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Edit my idiot post. Here's what happened - the crossbar is plastic, not aluminum. It is a part of the bumper cover. When they sprayed the bumper cover, they should have masked off the cross bar to keep it's plastic surface intact. It is NOT painted from the factory at all. They sprayed the whole thing and reassembled, so it has been painted when it should not have been. Not sure how to fix this correctly without replacing the bumper cover at this point. Any paint is going to chip where the OEM setup will just have minor damage to a raw plastic surface. Technically, it needs to be stripped, not painted.
WOW!!! Then that explains why none of the paint shops I visited could tell me what color to use, including the Lexus Collision Center. One shop suggested flat black, another thought it was satin black, another suggested I paint it the same gun metal gray color of the mesh grill. You guys are amazing and have a wealth of information on this forum. I'm going to print this thread and show it to whichever shop I decide on. They may just want to strip the silver paint back to the original plastic color. That should save additional cost of paint and clear coats.
Outstanding!!!
Thanks again to all.

Quick Reply: New (to me) GS F, I have a question about the bumper