Occasional Track Tires/Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 06:53 AM
GtDiesel
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional Track Tires/Wheels

Hey all,

New to the forums. I've read through a bunch of threads and didn't see any questions quite like this, apologies if I missed one.

I've had a 2016 GS-F since October. Mileage is up to 7k and it's been through 2 all-day track days. My front PSS are down to 4/32 already

It's a daily driver but I'd like to take it through the track every month or two. My question is about the tires. I can store a set of wheels/tires and have them swapped by the track. Anyone have recommendations for a set of track wheels and tires that would work on the GS-F? The wheels could be cheap - don't care how they look at the track and they won't have to deal with pot holes or anything else.

Basically am wondering if I can get some track tires setup that overall would save money over replacing PSS multiple times/year.

I'm no track veteran but the GS-F does pretty well out there. Lots of comments about the noise when at full throttle. I still haven't seen another one outside of a dealership in Atlanta so I think it's a slight novelty when folks see it there.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-17, 01:04 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Do you have a budget in mind?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-08-17, 05:47 AM
GtDiesel
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I wasn't sure where to start. I figure based on how the PSS held up after a couple tracks days, if I had 10-12 track days/year that'd work out to roughly 3 sets of fronts and 2 sets of rears or ~$2500.

I'm not sure what a set of track tires costs, but if I found a set that could hold up to those 10-12 days it feels like I could come out ahead. Could be I just need to keep it simple and stick with the PSS. Any thoughts on a set of track tires and how long they would hold up if dedicated 100% to dry track driving?

Also am wondering if the newer Pilot Sport 4S would hold up better all around. My Lexus dealer said they could put them on but I'd lose my wheel / road hazard addition. Maybe eventually that will be Lexus spec if the PSS are going away.