GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Overfilled oil on 5k service

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 12:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Overfilled oil on 5k service

I have read threads in the IS F forum and the RC F forum related to owners getting more oil than they bargained for with Lexus service. I was quite dismayed to see the oil level almost a full two inches above the second dot on the dipstick when I checked it. We drove the car on a 7 hour road trip (each way) this last weekend and the gas mileage was really crappy (23mpg vs. 27 mpg) compared to the IS, which I did not expect at all. I figured I'd better check the basics, and sure enough - big time overfill on the oil.

I normally do all maintenance myself, but since this one was included in the purchase price, I figured I'd let them do it. Sad to say I drained out almost 3 US quarts to get the level where it should be. It would seem the tech looked at the dry fill number, not the oil change number in the factory service manual and put in 11.4 US quarts when it should have been 9.3 US quarts - plus a little extra (or maybe the drain wasn't a full drain).

In any case, it only reinforces my concern about letting someone else do something which should be simple, and having it not done right. I used a vacuum pump, 2 quart jar, and a 3/16" hard plastic tube to remove the excess oil. I cut the tube to the same height as the top dot on the dipstick and installed it. I just didn't expect I would need to empty my container twice to complete the job. Very frustrating.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-21-17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 06:13 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, while i don't own a GSF, I have a free oil change in 2000 miles so i will make sure to check oil level before leaving service dept.
Old 03-21-17, 07:28 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have read threads in the IS F forum and the RC F forum related to owners getting more oil than they bargained for with Lexus service. I was quite dismayed to see the oil level almost a full two inches above the second dot on the dipstick when I checked it. We drove the car on a 7 hour road trip (each way) this last weekend and the gas mileage was really crappy (23mpg vs. 27 mpg) compared to the IS, which I did not expect at all. I figured I'd better check the basics, and sure enough - big time overfill on the oil.

I normally do all maintenance myself, but since this one was included in the purchase price, I figured I'd let them do it. Sad to say I drained out almost 3 US quarts to get the level where it should be. It would seem the tech looked at the dry fill number, not the oil change number in the factory service manual and put in 11.4 US quarts when it should have been 9.3 US quarts - plus a little extra (or maybe the drain wasn't a full drain).

In any case, it only reinforces my concern about letting someone else do something which should be simple, and having it not done right. I used a vacuum pump, 2 quart jar, and a 3/16" hard plastic tube to remove the excess oil. I cut the tube to the same height as the top dot on the dipstick and installed it. I just didn't expect I would need to empty my container twice to complete the job. Very frustrating.
what mode do you drive in? I can't even get 23 mpg!
Old 03-21-17, 09:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by tq745
what mode do you drive in? I can't even get 23 mpg!
Road trip mode. Fill up with gas, get in the car, drive until empty at freeway speeds. You should see at least 26 mpg doing this. I have seen as much as 28 mpg in my IS F doing this on multiple road trips. Eco, normal, sport, and sport plus don't really impact your fuel mileage. Your right foot impacts it dramatically.
Old 03-21-17, 09:16 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Road trip mode. Fill up with gas, get in the car, drive until empty at freeway speeds. You should see at least 26 mpg doing this. I have seen as much as 28 mpg in my IS F doing this on multiple road trips. Eco, normal, sport, and sport plus don't really impact your fuel mileage. Your right foot impacts it dramatically.
Thanks for the head's up Lance and I will have to go out and check my oil level. I also agree with you on your highway mileage for both the ISF and GSF but as far as city driving in the GSF, for me I am barely breaking 16 mpg and that is 90% non-spirited driving (only because too much damn traffic in ATL). That said, did not buy this one for the fantastic mpgs...

I will let you know if Lexus service got me too since I got the complimentary 5K service about the same time as you all did. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-08-17, 02:12 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

so prior to purchasing my car, i had my dealer change my oil since the car was sitting for a few months on the lot. Decided to check my oil level ths morning and i noticed the oil level was above the second dot dipstick not by much but by a noticeable amount. Now my question to the experts is, what the heck do i do now. with almost 2000 miles on the car, how much damage could I have possibly caused. Or should i let the engine warmup first and then check the dipstick.

My father always told me you need to check the dipstick when the engine is cold to get a "true" reading... hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks
Old 04-08-17, 02:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Dad was right Also on level ground.

Lou
Old 04-08-17, 02:27 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
so prior to purchasing my car, i had my dealer change my oil since the car was sitting for a few months on the lot. Decided to check my oil level ths morning and i noticed the oil level was above the second dot dipstick not by much but by a noticeable amount. Now my question to the experts is, what the heck do i do now. with almost 2000 miles on the car, how much damage could I have possibly caused. Or should i let the engine warmup first and then check the dipstick.

My father always told me you need to check the dipstick when the engine is cold to get a "true" reading... hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks
​​​​​​

Lexus indicate let engine warm up and wait 15min to check the level

take to the dealer, they have a tool to suck it out
Old 04-08-17, 10:04 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks!! ill have to take my car in next week then. This may explain why I'm getting roughly 15mpg city and highway combined... lol when I'm doing just local driving I'm getting 12 mpg..

I consistently get 50 miles per quarter tank so 200 miles per tank. Is this consistent with what everyone else is getting? I know this car wasn't meant to have good gas mileage btw lol

Last edited by CobraGSF; 04-08-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 06:04 AM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Was it a true 5k service? By that I mean does your car have 5k miles on it? The reason that I ask is because I think a true 5k service is basically an inspection service. The oil isn't changed until 10k. We have a 2015 GS350 F-Sport and that's how it is on it. Not so sure on a GSF though.
Old 04-09-17, 08:01 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lildann
Was it a true 5k service? By that I mean does your car have 5k miles on it? The reason that I ask is because I think a true 5k service is basically an inspection service. The oil isn't changed until 10k. We have a 2015 GS350 F-Sport and that's how it is on it. Not so sure on a GSF though.

the GSF and RCF gets oil change every 5k miles
Old 04-09-17, 08:36 AM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my oil changed on my GSF yesterday and this morning when i went to check the oil level with the car off, cold, on a level surface and the reading showed above the second dot fill line by about an inch...

i turned the car on, let it idle, then turned it off and waited 5 minutes per the GSF manual (p401). I then rechecked the dipstick and it was showing at the correct level. Not sure why a regular cold check would not show the same but at least it checks out at the correct level

Last edited by Rrgirgis; 04-09-17 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 01:29 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Good info and thanks.
Old 04-10-17, 08:25 PM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correction

UPDATE:

So i went to check my oil level again since it just seemed weird to me that the oil level would be more accurate the way the manual describes to check it...

so i waited overnight and decided to check my oil level again and heres what I found

Filled way above the second dot fill line!!

It was filled WAY above the top full dot! So I had the oil sucked out from the dipstick and took out about 1.5 quarts to bring it back to the correct level.

so goes to show that even at the dealer they overfill.

Always make sure to check your level after you have your car serviced no matter where you take it!
Old 04-11-17, 10:54 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rrgirgis
UPDATE:

So i went to check my oil level again since it just seemed weird to me that the oil level would be more accurate the way the manual describes to check it...

so i waited overnight and decided to check my oil level again and heres what I found

Filled way above the second dot fill line!!

It was filled WAY above the top full dot! So I had the oil sucked out from the dipstick and took out about 1.5 quarts to bring it back to the correct level.

so goes to show that even at the dealer they overfill.

Always make sure to check your level after you have your car serviced no matter where you take it!
read post number 8 and confirm it with the owners manual

Quick Reply: Overfilled oil on 5k service