Old 04-12-17, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
​​​​​​

Lexus indicate let engine warm up and wait 15min to check the level

take to the dealer, they have a tool to suck it out
The factory service manual says warm it to full operating temperature, shut it off, wait 5 minutes, check the level. It does not say wait 15.

Regardless, I did exactly that and the oil was more than 2 inches above the top dot.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-12-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:55 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have read threads in the IS F forum and the RC F forum related to owners getting more oil than they bargained for with Lexus service. I was quite dismayed to see the oil level almost a full two inches above the second dot on the dipstick when I checked it. We drove the car on a 7 hour road trip (each way) this last weekend and the gas mileage was really crappy (23mpg vs. 27 mpg) compared to the IS, which I did not expect at all. I figured I'd better check the basics, and sure enough - big time overfill on the oil.

I normally do all maintenance myself, but since this one was included in the purchase price, I figured I'd let them do it. Sad to say I drained out almost 3 US quarts to get the level where it should be. It would seem the tech looked at the dry fill number, not the oil change number in the factory service manual and put in 11.4 US quarts when it should have been 9.3 US quarts - plus a little extra (or maybe the drain wasn't a full drain).

In any case, it only reinforces my concern about letting someone else do something which should be simple, and having it not done right. I used a vacuum pump, 2 quart jar, and a 3/16" hard plastic tube to remove the excess oil. I cut the tube to the same height as the top dot on the dipstick and installed it. I just didn't expect I would need to empty my container twice to complete the job. Very frustrating.
what do you mean when you say the dry fill number and the oil change number?

i did my last oil change. my oil is 1mm over the second dot reading on the oil dip stick. do you think this will make a big deal?

i let my car warm up for 5 mins, jack up the front only an put them on stands. loosen the oil cap and let it lean to the side. drain the oil and filter and let it slowly drain for 45 mins since i usually do other cleaning under the car and engine bay. i fill to 9.5 and keep pouring a bit and checking.
Old 04-12-17, 01:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

There are three numbers in the service manual.
Attached Thumbnails Overfilled oil on 5k service-gsf-engine-oil-fill.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ISFPOWER (04-12-17)
Old 04-25-17, 05:45 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

just following up here. Dealership acknowledged the oil was overfilled. Have it on paper, so ill be keeping that for my records. They ended up performing the 5k service on the car at 2,300 miles.....lol. I told my service advisor what the heck, i just said take out some oil. So he felt bad and said he would comp me the next time i need an oil change. Ill probably change it at 5k miles whenever i get there just because i don't want him to forget about his promise. Funny thing is, he said the master tech at my dealership checked the oil level ensuring its correct, I checked my dipstick and i think its still overfilled..... lol just can't win.
Old 05-08-18, 09:29 AM
breakeroh
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I usually do my own oil changes to avoid these mistakes by others, but my F is cpo so I've let the dealership do it and I also got oil overfill. I immediately felt the car drove more sluggish and thought it was just the new diff fluid flush i also had performed. My mpg has been its worst since my service from the dealership. I still thought its probably the new diff fluid. I decided to check my oil and im shocked, disappointed and angry!

I did this reading after driving home and letting car sit for 15mins. Prior checks on cold had oil levels even higher.

Old 05-11-18, 09:36 PM
dlin4229
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had same oil overfill (1-1.5 qt more)issue on my 17. My dealer was Steven Creek Lexus in San Jose. I always change oil on my own for my previous used cars and I believe my oil change work should be better than many in auto shop. (because I do it slowly and carefully)

So I checked the oil level at that day and bingo I found the problem immediately...
Old 05-11-18, 09:54 PM
dlin4229
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrgirgis
I just had my oil changed on my GSF yesterday and this morning when i went to check the oil level with the car off, cold, on a level surface and the reading showed above the second dot fill line by about an inch...

i turned the car on, let it idle, then turned it off and waited 5 minutes per the GSF manual (p401). I then rechecked the dipstick and it was showing at the correct level. Not sure why a regular cold check would not show the same but at least it checks out at the correct level
I think the first check is good enough. The second check is not good, I guess. Why? because in the second check your engine should still be cold and 5 minute wait is not long enough(the oil is still cold. So it needs much more time to flow down to the bottom).

5 minute wait is for warm engine. Was your engine warm already?