GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help with Paddle Shifters/Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 07:29 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Help with Paddle Shifters/Manual Mode

I was wondering if anyone had any tips/guidance on using the manual mode in the GS. My GS is the 6 speed. I know how to drive stick, but I dare not mess with the "manual mode" in my Infiniti and now my Lexus. I've read a few old IS threads and watched some videos online, and they weren't much help. I'm so used to having to clutch in and out and taking my foot off the gas and such, but how do you properly use manual mode in our cars. I wanna try to have some fun with it once in a while. I'm afraid to mess up the engine/transmission if I were to upshift and downshift wrong. Do I take my foot off the gas when I upshift then put my foot back on it? And same thing when down shifting, do I need to take my foot off the gas?
Old 05-02-22, 07:52 PM
vr408
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by initial
I was wondering if anyone had any tips/guidance on using the manual mode in the GS. My GS is the 6 speed. I know how to drive stick, but I dare not mess with the "manual mode" in my Infiniti and now my Lexus. I've read a few old IS threads and watched some videos online, and they weren't much help. I'm so used to having to clutch in and out and taking my foot off the gas and such, but how do you properly use manual mode in our cars. I wanna try to have some fun with it once in a while. I'm afraid to mess up the engine/transmission if I were to upshift and downshift wrong. Do I take my foot off the gas when I upshift then put my foot back on it? And same thing when down shifting, do I need to take my foot off the gas?
You don't need to take your foot off the gas at all. You can up shift/down shift anytime. If you're too high in RPMS, the vehicle will not allow you to downshift. You also can't exactly "red line" it, the vehicle will automatically upshift.
Nothing to be worried about. Enjoy your Lex!
The following users liked this post:
initial (05-02-22)
Old 05-02-22, 08:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,424 Posts

You'll figure it out if you'll just try it. Forget about lifting off the gas when shifting. It's an automatic transmission in which you can shift manually, that's all! It's foolproof. You can't over rev the engine because it will upshift automatically even in manual mode. You can't over rev the engine by downshifting to a [too] lower gear.
The following users liked this post:
initial (05-02-22)
Old 05-02-22, 08:02 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I read that when you slow down it'll automatically downshift for me. Should I even bother downshifting when slowing down or should I just let the car do it for me?
Old 05-02-22, 08:14 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 280 Posts

Just try it. There are fail safes from drivers messing up the transmission.
Old 05-03-22, 06:12 AM
CMK
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by initial
I read that when you slow down it'll automatically downshift for me. Should I even bother downshifting when slowing down or should I just let the car do it for me?
It all depends. If you're coming to a red light, the car will automatically downshift to 1st when you fully stop. If you're entering a corner and want max exit speed, you'll want to downshift manually to your desired gear, because the GS will hold the highest gear possible for as long as possible for fuel economy.
Old 05-03-22, 06:27 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 176 Posts

Paddle shifters on these transmissions with torque converters are not the same as a three pedal experience where you control torque.
DSG’s are more fun but they are not smooth. I have a third car that is stick and never found the joy others do with paddle shifters.
Paddle shifters or not, I only use manual mode on auto trans cars in the mountains if im dialed in to driving and also want to save my brakes some.
Old 05-03-22, 07:58 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
It all depends. If you're coming to a red light, the car will automatically downshift to 1st when you fully stop. If you're entering a corner and want max exit speed, you'll want to downshift manually to your desired gear, because the GS will hold the highest gear possible for as long as possible for fuel economy.
I believe in sport mode, the GS will downshift to stay in its powerband on deceleration when driving spiritedly....
Old 05-03-22, 08:00 AM
CMK
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs
I believe in sport mode, the GS will downshift to stay in its powerband on deceleration when driving spiritedly....
Yes, I imagine that's so while in Drive, but in manual mode it will not. I had assumed we were talking about keeping the shifter in M.
Old 05-03-22, 11:25 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

So, you want to use your paddles effectively?

Find your favorite twisty road.

1. Rotate the drive mode selector to Sport S or S+
2. Slide the shifter from D to M.
3. Mat the throttle.
4. Completely disregard the upshift paddle. The car will upshift automatically for you before redline. You can never hit the rev limiter in gear.
5. As you approach a corner, brake aggressively and use the downshift paddle. The car will rev-match automatically for each downshift. If you have a 6 speed, you will likely only be shuffling between 2nd and 3rd on any given backroad.

There is no need to lift off the throttle for upshifts or downshifts.

The paddles are completely useless on the highway or in normal driving. If you are below 3500rpm, the paddles transmit the shift command by carrier pigeon, and the rev-match tune leaves a lot to be desired (it feels like someone first learning how to heel-toe, always comes up 2-300 rpm too short, making the car lurch slightly).
Old 05-03-22, 10:04 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
Yes, I imagine that's so while in Drive, but in manual mode it will not. I had assumed we were talking about keeping the shifter in M.
You're right. I tried it in M....
Old 05-03-22, 11:52 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs
You're right. I tried it in M....
If you're used to driving a stick - especially in a sporty car - you'll be let down by the paddle shifter experience in the GS. It just doesn't compare to the experience of 3 pedal driving when it comes to controlling the engine. It is useful when you want a particular response because you don't have to use your foot to try to make the car do what you want.

If you've got your foot in it, the paddles do respond pretty fast, but it still has a very artificial feel. I haven't used paddles much except for in this car, so I don't know if other cars "rev match" better or worse than the GS.

I would sign up for a manual if it were available (and free) LOL. Hard to find much to complain about the GS though it has such a great balance between comfort and sportiness overall.
Old 05-04-22, 05:46 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 176 Posts

Other than CVT most modern cars let you have ability to change gears if not via paddles.
My 2020 AWD with 6 spd give me little to complain about. Its an auto with Torque converter and does its job well.
All I ask is it be reliable.

Love the commercials of drivers hitting something akin to downshifting.

Back on task, OP asked for help, not opinions. Sorry to go off that request. You can’t really hurt the car as discussed. It won’t let you.
Old 05-04-22, 06:33 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,271 Likes on 1,009 Posts

The info is also in your owners manual, with detailed explanations that answer all of your questions about using it.