GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 07:04 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rattles

So as the name suggests I'm trying to track down this random rattle that comes here and there it isn't that frequent so its hard for me to actually get a video of it. I used to have a rattle coming from the sunroof but that seems to be completely gone as that rattle was much more prevalent and very annoying almost impossible to not hear.

This last rattle I have is much harder to track down so I want to get some ideas from you guys ( i know it's hard without a video but whatever suggestions you have just let me know). There is some rattle that seems to be coming from around the pillar near the front passenger door and rear passenger door (it's hard to say if its actually coming from the door).

I have already tried electrical tape on the panel with the window switch to try to eliminate it. I also doubt it could still be related to the sunroof as that annoying rattle from there is gone from before and everything around the sunroof is new. Is it possible that its coming from the seatbelt? (i've tried readjusting and positioning it in different spots with no change). I've also tried to see if its coming from the door as it may possibly be from the door panel (but I also don't think thats the case but I could be wrong). I'm lost for ideas and I'm almost certain its coming from around the pillar by the front passenger door.

Any suggestions would be great.

Lexus could not track it down as it didn't do it while it was being test driven for a good 15 minutes on bad roads with tons of bumps. I don't really blame them as I've driven for a good 30-minutes without it ever happening but then sometimes it occurs randomly its got a mind of its own and its starting to annoy me LOL.

Thanks I'm dying to track this down
Old 07-21-21, 11:26 AM
wiltony
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a 2016 GS350 F-sport from the dealer L/Certified that had a persistent sunroof rattle. They stripped that thing down to the frame trying to fix it. They injected foam, re-did headliner, seals, sunroof rails, etc. They ended up having to re-weld the crossbar and that fixed it. They had it for like 2 months.
Old 07-21-21, 11:32 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the same ****in rattle in that area - some days it's not there and other days it drives me insane!! I was going to remove the passenger door and then the pillar to see if I could find anything - if not I was going to put that felt tape around every mounting point and sub-panels while everything is exposed. Unfortunately I think that's the only option since I've checked and tested everything in that area that I could see.

If you find a solution before I rip everything apart please share!
Old 07-21-21, 04:37 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by wiltony
I bought a 2016 GS350 F-sport from the dealer L/Certified that had a persistent sunroof rattle. They stripped that thing down to the frame trying to fix it. They injected foam, re-did headliner, seals, sunroof rails, etc. They ended up having to re-weld the crossbar and that fixed it. They had it for like 2 months.
Any pics of what they welded?
Old 07-21-21, 04:38 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyBishop
I have the same ****in rattle in that area - some days it's not there and other days it drives me insane!! I was going to remove the passenger door and then the pillar to see if I could find anything - if not I was going to put that felt tape around every mounting point and sub-panels while everything is exposed. Unfortunately I think that's the only option since I've checked and tested everything in that area that I could see.

If you find a solution before I rip everything apart please share!
Did you replace the sunroof seal yet?
Old 07-22-21, 08:44 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

No, I don't hear anything from the sunroof area. It's definitely coming from the passenger side
Old 07-22-21, 11:23 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My is350 gets a random rattle from the driver's door seal. It is hit or miss, I think it gets worst when is cold, since the summer rolled through it has toned down significantly.

I have resolved the issue somehow by applying a light coat of wd-40 to the frame door and seem to be working. The sunroof gets some minor sound, but I think is just normal from wind noise.

Although this is a different model, will be interesting to see what is the resolution.

I wonder if your car was involved in a minor collision offsetting panels, door, sunroof trim/alignment.
Old 08-04-21, 09:47 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I recently noticed when I'm driving by myself... i get this rattle which sounds like it's coming from the passenger seat as if the seat itself is moving... Could this be related to the sunroof seal?

Old 08-04-21, 10:58 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

^^have you considered if it is the passenger's seatbelt buckle hitting on the trim
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (08-04-21)
Old 08-04-21, 12:07 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
^^have you considered if it is the passenger's seatbelt buckle hitting on the trim
I hope you are right!! lol i guess I'm getting paranoid..
Old 08-05-21, 05:42 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
I recently noticed when I'm driving by myself... i get this rattle which sounds like it's coming from the passenger seat as if the seat itself is moving... Could this be related to the sunroof seal?
The joys of purposely trying to find faults in your whip. But yes, it's possible you have loose items in the doors of your vehicle hitting against the plastic, or the seat belt hitting the plastic trip, maybe items in the glove box. Check it out and see what you find out!
Old 08-05-21, 10:35 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eddie420
The joys of purposely trying to find faults in your whip. But yes, it's possible you have loose items in the doors of your vehicle hitting against the plastic, or the seat belt hitting the plastic trip, maybe items in the glove box. Check it out and see what you find out!
HAHAH it was the seatbelt - the metal 'click' part... kept sliding down and dangling... and hitting door pillar/panel