GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 GS350 Fuel Pump Resistor

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 06:39 PM
cycle22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 GS350 Fuel Pump Resistor

Anybody ever experience the fuel pump resistor going bad? If so, what were your symptoms? What codes did it throw if any?
Old 07-16-19, 12:07 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

What do you mean by a fuel pump resistor? What issues are you getting?
Old 07-16-19, 01:19 PM
cycle22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
What do you mean by a fuel pump resistor? What issues are you getting?
It was brought to my attention that these cars have a variable speed fuel pump that the ecu controls the speed thru a resistor that is located in the engine compartment..When the car needs fuel, the ecu will vary the resistance which in turn increases the speed of the pump which delivers more fuel..My car(07 350 AWD) will not accelerate cleanly..It stumbles very hard and if I stay in it, it will sometimes cut off..It will even lose power going down the interstate and I have to pull over and sit for a few minutes before it will crank and run/drive again..I do get a CEL/VSC light that will come and go on it's on without it being cleared..The code is bank1 cat converter ineffeciency..My two areas of focus at this point is the fuel pump resistor and the fuel pump itself..
Old 07-16-19, 02:56 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Usually when you get a code for a bad cat on an AWD, means you more likely have an exhaust leak. Only the AWD, have this design flaw to where they put fiberglass matting inside a tin metal shell surrounding both mid pipes. Over time the fiberglass soaks moisture and eventually rust works itself eating up both sides.

Solution, take your car to a muffler shop, remove all the tin on both sides, and the fiberglass mat. Have them inspect for leaks and repair as needed, they usually leaks beside the clamps.

An exhaust leak will drop your performance, but it will not to the point you need to pull over. Have you done any maintenance work like air filter, oem spark plugs?
Old 07-16-19, 08:27 PM
cycle22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Usually when you get a code for a bad cat on an AWD, means you more likely have an exhaust leak. Only the AWD, have this design flaw to where they put fiberglass matting inside a tin metal shell surrounding both mid pipes. Over time the fiberglass soaks moisture and eventually rust works itself eating up both sides.

Solution, take your car to a muffler shop, remove all the tin on both sides, and the fiberglass mat. Have them inspect for leaks and repair as needed, they usually leaks beside the clamps.

An exhaust leak will drop your performance, but it will not to the point you need to pull over. Have you done any maintenance work like air filter, oem spark plugs?
All of that has been done.. yes new plugs, coils and air filter have been installed..
Old 07-17-19, 04:00 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cycle22
All of that has been done.. yes new plugs, coils and air filter have been installed..

If youre certain 100% theres no exhaust leaks, then I would suspect you have a clogged cat. A clogged cat will kill your performance greatly. Even to the point of chocking out the engine.

If you have one of those laser thermometers, you can raise the car on a lift. Measure the inlet and outlets temps of the cats, if you see one with a greater inlet temp than the outlet. Then that catalytic convertor is not functioning properly.

Also the plugs that you replaced, did you use oem plugs from a reputable source? There are tons of fakes on ebay!