GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Replaced alternator and now car doesn't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 11:28 AM
Jdub82
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced alternator and now car doesn't start.

So I had an alternator go out last week on my 07 gs350. I finally got tome to replace it this morning. After replacement and battery hooked back up push button lights up as if good to start and nothing! Check vsc comes on. I looked at the ign fuses and starter fuses they seem to be good. Tried to jump start it and still nothing. Any ideas?
Old 05-13-17, 11:43 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Does the starter make a clicking noise when you push the start button?

EDIT: Also, are you using the same battery as before the started crapped out? If so, did you figure out the alternator was bad before the battery was completely discharged?

Last edited by Sodium; 05-13-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 12:39 PM
Jdub82
Driver School Candidate

It was slow to start right as alternator went out. Battery tested around 12.6 but after started and running volts would fall off. When I figured alt went out was after running errands all day then power steering went out and vsc came on. So I killed it and restarted power steering came back on and lights went off. Once I got home I smelled a burning smell from alt area and it was extremely hot around that area. I could continue to start it for about a week but was slow to start ( I never drove it though). Replaced alt this morning and checked all wires and connections all looked fine nothing melted. Now all dash lights come on push start lights green but not even a click of the starter.
Old 05-13-17, 03:00 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

These cars are very delicate. Any work done to them must be reprogrammed by a computer of some sort. Maybe a code needs to be cleared or something. Something really dumb that you don't know about. Try reaching out to a good mechanic in your area. Someone that doesn't mind coming out and plugging the car up to the computer and take it from there... Best bet. Good luck my friend. I hope you find it. Please let us know what happens
Old 05-13-17, 03:42 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdub82
It was slow to start right as alternator went out. Battery tested around 12.6 but after started and running volts would fall off. When I figured alt went out was after running errands all day then power steering went out and vsc came on. So I killed it and restarted power steering came back on and lights went off. Once I got home I smelled a burning smell from alt area and it was extremely hot around that area. I could continue to start it for about a week but was slow to start ( I never drove it though). Replaced alt this morning and checked all wires and connections all looked fine nothing melted. Now all dash lights come on push start lights green but not even a click of the starter.
Well in that case the battery shouldn't be completely dead. You could try unhooking the negative and positive leads from the battery and touching them together for a few seconds (cover the battery terminals with a towel so you don't accidentally touch short circuit the battery). Also check the fuses and relays in the engine bay. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need a good scan tool or techstream as aneidiaz suggests.

Oh and one more question – did you disconnect the battery before doing anything with the alternator?
Old 05-13-17, 03:51 PM
Jdub82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sodium
Well in that case the battery shouldn't be completely dead. You could try unhooking the negative and positive leads from the battery and touching them together for a few seconds (cover the battery terminals with a towel so you don't accidentally touch short circuit the battery). Also check the fuses and relays in the engine bay. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need a good scan tool or techstream as aneidiaz suggests.

Oh and one more question – did you disconnect the battery before doing anything with the alternator?
yes I disconnected both the neg and positive, it took me around 2-3 hours as I took it off then took it with me for core exchange when purchasing new one. So it was disconnected for about 3 hours total. I was hoping it isn't a security deal where the dealer has to reset something. Thanks everybody i have somebody with a snap on scan tool coming over tomorrow. Hopefully I'll know something then
Old 05-14-17, 02:41 PM
Jdub82
Driver School Candidate

Ok fellas after hitting dead end after dead end I started tracing power and found when pulling the alternator out I must of snagged a wire loom that has a connector right under the exhaust manifold. That connector leads back up to the starter, reconnected and good as new. Thanks again everybody
Old 05-14-17, 07:53 PM
vincewchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdub82
Ok fellas after hitting dead end after dead end I started tracing power and found when pulling the alternator out I must of snagged a wire loom that has a connector right under the exhaust manifold. That connector leads back up to the starter, reconnected and good as new. Thanks again everybody
Good to hear!

Curious, how many miles do you have on the car?
Old 05-14-17, 08:14 PM
Jdub82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vincewchan
Good to hear!

Curious, how many miles do you have on the car?
I have 141,061 should be good for a while hopefully lol. Had a squeaky idler pulley which I just replaced, then water pump started leaking and now alternator which all seem to be common problems.