GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stereo Headunit Options (non ML)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 10:16 AM
MTB
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Headunit Options (non ML)

Hi All,

I just bought a 2008 GS350 and have done a ton of searches about stereo options. My car has an aux input but no usb input and I'd like the ability to play digital music I've narrowed it down to three options

1. GTA or similar kit, Vais tech doesn't make theirs anymore. The only downside with this option is because I don't have the ML stereo, the display options for the USB are limited and harder to navigate. Can anyone confirm this and if it's really a big deal?
2. Buy just the ML headunit (the part in the dash with the cd player). The ML radio has WMA and mp3 playability on burned discs. Does anyone know if the ML stereo is plug and play, same connectors, same outputs?
3. Buy the oem cable that allows the 30 pin ipod connector.

Any other thoughts?

Also, separate but related question. Does anyone know if the ML amplifiers are plug and play? Can I grab them from a junkyard and just replace my current amps with the ML options?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-19, 09:14 PM
Piranah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not get the Tesla style unit?
Old 02-27-19, 04:48 AM
460Knote
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headunit options

Originally Posted by MTB
Hi All,

I just bought a 2008 GS350 and have done a ton of searches about stereo options. My car has an aux input but no usb input and I'd like the ability to play digital music I've narrowed it down to three options

1. GTA or similar kit, Vais tech doesn't make theirs anymore. The only downside with this option is because I don't have the ML stereo, the display options for the USB are limited and harder to navigate. Can anyone confirm this and if it's really a big deal?
2. Buy just the ML headunit (the part in the dash with the cd player). The ML radio has WMA and mp3 playability on burned discs. Does anyone know if the ML stereo is plug and play, same connectors, same outputs?
3. Buy the oem cable that allows the 30 pin ipod connector.

Any other thoughts?

Also, separate but related question. Does anyone know if the ML amplifiers are plug and play? Can I grab them from a junkyard and just replace my current amps with the ML okdoptions?

Thanks!
If you don’t have the Mark Levinson system then I’d look into the Tesla style unit if it was me. There are videos on YouTube of it.
Old 02-27-19, 02:32 PM
PrzemoRBK
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or install Grom audio Vline2. Great device. Using it for 6 months. Has everything even Apple Car Play

https://gromaudio.com/vline/index.html
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (03-25-19)
Old 02-27-19, 02:51 PM
lectric74
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PrzemoRBK
Or install Grom audio Vline2. Great device. Using it for 6 months. Has everything even Apple Car Play

https://gromaudio.com/vline/index.html
How does that work with the parking sensors? I'm interested, but don't want to lose any functionality that I currently enjoy.
Old 02-27-19, 06:17 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lectric74
How does that work with the parking sensors? I'm interested, but don't want to lose any functionality that I currently enjoy.
You will lose the parking sensor function in the radio/Nav screen with any aftermarket system you install. I believe that is one reason that Lexus duplicated the parking sensor function in the instrument panel display.
Old 02-27-19, 10:25 PM
PrzemoRBK
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lectric74
You won't loose anything. Everything works + Vline2 functions. Perfect solution for OEM radio.

The following users liked this post:
lectric74 (02-28-19)
Old 04-09-19, 05:55 PM
460Knote
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 460Knote

If you don’t have the Mark Levinson system then I’d look into the Tesla style unit if it was me. There are videos on YouTube of it.
so if I do have the ML head unit can I not get the Tesla style radio?
Old 04-10-19, 10:18 PM
OhGreat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 460Knote
so if I do have the ML head unit can I not get the Tesla style radio?
I'm pretty sure you can still upgrade to the Tesla style head unit regardless if you have ML or not. I'm on the oem head unit, non Mark Levinson, and using a SL3B. I was using the GTA kit before, but the audio quality wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be. I may be changing to a different method. I'm not sure what route I want to go with though. I just don't like how the SL3B doesn't autoplay, and the shuffling gets turned off so I have to open the phone and re-enable it.

But anyhow, if you want a GTA kit, I could sell that.
Old 04-11-19, 03:42 PM
460Knote
Driver School Candidate

What you want for the kit. I have an 8+ iPhone. Is it compatible? And I need to know for sure before I buy the Tesla style radio. I talked to one person on here that say they did the exchange with the ML unit. But if I could get a few more then that’ll be great.