GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Harsh 2-1 Downshift 2006 Lexus GS300 P0756 Code

Old 11-05-17, 07:57 AM
GeeYes300
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Harsh 2-1 Downshift 2006 Lexus GS300 P0756 Code

I am experiencing a harsh 2nd to 1st gear downshift. My code reader shows a P0756 shift solenoid issue. I took it the stealer and of course they said I needed a new transmission for $5000. I would like to find out if there is a lower cost option like just replacing the shift solenoid. Am I wasting my time going from dealer to dealer? Would an independent transmission shop be able to replace just the shift solenoid? How much should I expect to pay for a shift solenoid replacement? If it's worse, is it any less expensive going to a Toyota dealer for the transmission vs. Lexus? I appreciate any assistance. I live in the San Francisco, Eastbay Area.
Old 11-12-17, 07:28 PM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your dealership experience sounds about right: Most like to remove and replace the entire piece, as it can be easier/more cost-effective for them (and more expensive for you). I've seen this issue mentioned elsewhere on the forums, and someone even created a DIY replacement guide for the solenoid (albeit for a SC400) --

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html

The solenoid itself is replaceable. I'm guessing a local transmission shop should be able to do it for around $500 or so (I don't have an exact estimate, as I haven't encountered this issue personally. Sorry!) A quote from an independent repair shop wouldn't hurt, either. As far as Toyota vs. Lexus is concerned, the only savings I've seen are on labor costs. Lexus dealers seem to charge $120-160/hour for labor vs. a $90-100/hour charge from Toyota. Because of that, I wouldn't waste too much time going from dealer to dealer as the quotes won't be dramatically different.

Let us know what you find!
The following users liked this post:
06GS300Lex (12-31-18)
Old 11-13-17, 09:41 AM
GeeYes300
Driver

Thanks for the information. I surmised that the ECM would be the least costly option if it was repaired, $100 plus shipping. I took to a local transmission shop, Schucks Transmission, just to confirm my previous finding. After road testing, they also told me that most likely that it is the ECM that is causing the harsh 2-1 downshift and quoted $1500 for the part plus labor. I purchased a repair option for the ECM through SINA on EBAY. Though, I am not sure if it would need to be reprogrammed after re-installation.
Old 11-13-17, 04:59 PM
PC94
Driver

Not a problem. When they diagnosed the ECM, did they mention anything about the TCM? My father used to have a 2003 RAV4 that had a transmission issue (harsh shifting, hunting for gears, low idle, etc.) and he was able to get the TCM reprogrammed thru a third-party for $300 or so. Once re-installed, the problem vanished completely.

Last edited by PC94; 11-13-17 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 11-20-17, 07:31 AM
GeeYes300
Driver

Originally Posted by PC94
Not a problem. When they diagnosed the ECM, did they mention anything about the TCM? My father used to have a 2003 RAV4 that had a transmission issue (harsh shifting, hunting for gears, low idle, etc.) and he was able to get the TCM reprogrammed thru a third-party for $300 or so. Once re-installed, the problem vanished completely.

SIA Electronics has my ECM and they did mention that the ECM includes the TCM which they stated they would replace. Waiting to test the results of the ECM rebuild.
Old 11-20-17, 09:50 AM
PC94
Driver

Sounds good!
Old 11-27-17, 07:12 PM
GeeYes300
Driver

SAVED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! Stealer told me I need a new transmission. I had my ECU sent to SIA Electronics and had them replace the transmission control module. Car runs fine now without the harsh shifting. Could not be happier with the results.
Old 11-28-17, 09:15 AM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GeeYes300
SAVED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! Stealer told me I need a new transmission. I had my ECU sent to SIA Electronics and had them replace the transmission control module. Car runs fine now without the harsh shifting. Could not be happier with the results.
Was the ECM/TCM module easily removed for shipping to SIA? Glad to hear of your fix, would love to try it myself.
Old 12-25-18, 02:14 PM
goodbadboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone has instructions for removing ECM ?
Old 01-17-21, 04:25 PM
Karyong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 is250

I am experiencing a harsh 2nd to 1st gear downshift. My code reader shows a P0756 shift solenoid issue. I took it the stealer and of course they said I needed a new transmission for $5000. I would like to find out if there is a lower cost option like just replacing the shift solenoid. Am I wasting my time going from dealer to dealer? Would an independent transmission shop be able to replace just the shift solenoid? How much should I expect to pay for a shift solenoid replacement? If it's worse, is it any less expensive going to a Toyota dealer for the transmission vs. Lexus? I appreciate any assistance. I live in the San Francisco, Eastbay Area.
Hi I’m just wondering if you fix you problem on your Lexus cuz I have the same code or problem on my 2006 Lexus is250 and I want to know how you fix it please thank you
Old 08-03-21, 01:18 PM
Caliagent5
Driver School Candidate

Default Removal of ECU

How difficult was it to remove the ECU? Do you have instructions or was it removed by the transmission shop?
Old 08-09-21, 08:50 PM
GeeYes300
Driver

Originally Posted by Caliagent5
How difficult was it to remove the ECU? Do you have instructions or was it removed by the transmission shop?
Not difficult at all. But it's been awhile and I no longer own that car. It is the black plastic oblong box, standing upright on the driver's side near the headlight. I believe you just have to remove a hose, and unbolt it and remove the plug clip. I'm a bonehead, so if I can do it, anyone can.
Old 08-16-21, 06:40 AM
Jd78
9th Gear

Default Another issue to look out for

replacing shift solenoid isn't too difficult of a DIY. It's just precise, time-consuming and no room for errors. However having a shop do it is definitely cheaper than getting a used tranny or remanufactured. Especially from the stealership. One other issue that the 06 gs300 have and that is the ecu because around 130-135k miles a lot of them have had need for either replacement of or reprogrammed with the latest software because of issues with shifting points in the transmission. Mine started acting up around 132k miles now i'm not entirely sure if that's linked to any solenoid issues however the issue that i'm having with mine is ecu replacement with the latest software i just ordered one from flagship 1 a place back east that does refurbished plug and play ecu for just about any car you can think of and they guarantee their work and back it up with a lifetime warranty. no core charge. cost me less than 500 bucks and i'm just waiting for it in the mail.
Old 08-23-21, 07:38 PM
GeeYes300
Driver

I sent out my ECU and had it fixed for $100. $500 sounds expensive.
Old 09-03-21, 05:01 PM
TomParr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here. 200 total with shipping, yet took ridiculosly long time to get car back to running. but it runs like before

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harsh 2-1 Downshift 2006 Lexus GS300 P0756 Code