GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

need help with rear brake replacement (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 02:50 PM
justYnG
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help with rear brake replacement (vid)

having some issues replacing my rear brakes and installing my new pads. the outer brake pad is hitting the rear disc (LH) not allowing the pad to be installed. not sure what is going any help will be great!

Last edited by justYnG; 11-26-16 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 06:57 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Did you push the brake piston all the way in before installing the new brakes?
Old 11-26-16, 06:59 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like the caliper is not floating. It needs to move right and left on the caliper guide pin (see pic from RockAuto catalog). I removed the caliper mounting bracket, left the caliper connected to the car. Then cleaned up the corroded pin on a bench grinder with a wire wheel. Lube it up and re-install. New rubber boot for the guide pin would be nice too.
Attached Thumbnails need help with rear brake replacement (vid)-hw14950-007.jpg   need help with rear brake replacement (vid)-wirewheel.jpg   need help with rear brake replacement (vid)-270_16198_1.jpg  
Old 11-27-16, 12:08 AM
justYnG
Driver

Originally Posted by sha4000
Did you push the brake piston all the way in before installing the new brakes?
yep! the reason why the piston side goes in with ease. i used a c-clamp to compress the piston into the caliper. is there something else im suppose to be doing? id figure itll be straight forward like any other disc brake vehicle in the market.
Old 11-27-16, 12:13 AM
justYnG
Driver

Originally Posted by ServerTech
Looks like the caliper is not floating. It needs to move right and left on the caliper guide pin (see pic from RockAuto catalog). I removed the caliper mounting bracket, left the caliper connected to the car. Then cleaned up the corroded pin on a bench grinder with a wire wheel. Lube it up and re-install. New rubber boot for the guide pin would be nice too.
going from the picture you think its the silver pin? i do think its that one as well. ill do this tomorrow and see what i find seems very logical since it doesnt move freely away from the disc brake. seems pretty straight forward to me and shouldnt take as much time repair this either. ill keep you posted and thanks!
Old 11-27-16, 06:11 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like ServerTech said, the caliper doesn't appear to be floating. Pull the caliper towards you to put the other pad in. I always do outside pad first. It just makes it easier. If the caliper doesn't float, its seized. You shouldn't have to beat anything with a hammer. I bet that silver pin is turning in the bracket. Being a Lexus tech, I've seen it quite a few times.
Old 11-27-16, 11:47 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Your floater pin is seized inside the caliper and the other end you somehow loosened from the bracket.

This is what you will need to do! First flex out the caliper like you did in the video now hammer the caliper towards the car and you want to try to break loose they seizing. If this does not work you will need to unbolt the caliper carrier and un bolt the brake hose line. Grab a propane torch and heat the caliper area for about 2 min and with a hammer, hammer in the pin into the caliper to help break the pin loose. If you see it budge then hammer the caliper out. Once you have separated the caliper from the pin then with sand paper scuff down and lube the pin with grease and the inside of the caliper.

Now when you go to install it back together, you want to make sure that caliper floats smoothly onto that pin. If it doesn't you will have problems! Slap it back together and youll be great! This heat method not many people like to do it, but to me its the quickest and less headache approach. Ive had to do this on my GS and IS! Many will buy new calipers and install them.
Old 11-27-16, 11:49 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Othic
Like ServerTech said, the caliper doesn't appear to be floating. Pull the caliper towards you to put the other pad in. I always do outside pad first. It just makes it easier. If the caliper doesn't float, its seized. You shouldn't have to beat anything with a hammer. I bet that silver pin is turning in the bracket. Being a Lexus tech, I've seen it quite a few times.
If he hammers that caliper outward without free play in the pin this will cause the brake pad to put pressure on one side and heat up his rear brake. I made this simple mistake before the heat method
Old 11-27-16, 03:36 PM
justYnG
Driver

Originally Posted by Othic
wish you were local because there is something i need to get done on my is300 and my gs430. im going to mess with tomorrow, i didnt have time today. from the picture above i can see there is an allen fitting on the bolt so i should be able to break it free and pull it out, right? maybe i should apply some pb blaster on threaded side under the boot as well. let me know.
Old 11-28-16, 01:16 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by justYnG
wish you were local because there is something i need to get done on my is300 and my gs430. im going to mess with tomorrow, i didnt have time today. from the picture above i can see there is an allen fitting on the bolt so i should be able to break it free and pull it out, right? maybe i should apply some pb blaster on threaded side under the boot as well. let me know.
Been there, done that! I let mine soak and didnt even budge the problem is the design, you have a metal pin into an aluminum bore. When moisture enters (especially northern cars) the aluminum corrodes, and the steel rusts together seizing it really good.

If you dont have a small torch go buy one, not expensive maybe less then $20 bucks. Heat the caliper side for 3-4min on the end, you want the aluminum end to expand. Turn it around and hammer in the pin, once you see the pin move, then hammer it completely apart. Easy really 5-10 min job!