GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Engine oil low??? Engine leak from front diff?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 01:13 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Lexus dealer charged me a bit LESS for the trans flush and rear diff fluid. They also told me that you cannot access the front diff to change that fluid without major mechanical effort.

For what it is worth.

Old 08-13-16, 03:20 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladex00
I haven't changed my tranny or diff fluids yet. I'm about to change them soon... Ganna get a shop to do it, since they had good ratings and quoted me about 500$ for tranny and rear diff... Might get them to check out the front diff too while they're at it...
That's interesting, the fluid looks clean for being original diff fluid. When I changed my rear diff fluid at 95,000 (it was the original fluid), it was as black as the lungs of a 19th century coal miner. Of course, this could be down to the fact that 100% of the power goes through my rear diff vs. 30% for your front diff

Oh and if you got the car used, do you know if the previous owner had the front diff serviced or fluid changed at any point? I assume that the procedure for replacing front diff fluid is the same as for the rear diff: open fill and drain bolts –> drain old fluid –> put back drain bolt –> pump in new fluid until it starts dribbling out of fill hole. My first thought when I saw your pics was that the diff just hadn't been cleaned very well after the last step. It may just be best to clean off the diff, then check it every couple days and see if the fluid comes back.

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Lexus dealer charged me a bit LESS
Probably the first time in recorded history that this has been said

They also told me that you cannot access the front diff to change that fluid without major mechanical effort.
Do you recall how much did they want for it?
Old 08-13-16, 03:26 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by Sodium
That's interesting, the fluid looks clean for being original diff fluid. When I changed my rear diff fluid at 95,000 (it was the original fluid), it was as black as the lungs of a 19th century coal miner. Of course, this could be down to the fact that 100% of the power goes through my rear diff vs. 30% for your front diff

Oh and if you got the car used, do you know if the previous owner had the front diff serviced or fluid changed at any point? I assume that the procedure for replacing front diff fluid is the same as for the rear diff: open fill and drain bolts –> drain old fluid –> put back drain bolt –> pump in new fluid until it starts dribbling out of fill hole. My first thought when I saw your pics was that the diff just hadn't been cleaned very well after the last step. It may just be best to clean off the diff, then check it every couple days and see if the fluid comes back.

They didn't even quote me, told me to forget it, since it wasn't leaking. They charged me $300 for the trans flush and read diff service.
Old 08-13-16, 03:46 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

They didn't even quote me, told me to forget it, since it wasn't leaking.
Lol that doesn't sound like good advice – diff fluid is changed to protect the gears (fluid gets depleted of the extreme pressure additives and other additives as it ages) and should be changed at a regular interval irrespective of a leak.
Old 08-14-16, 08:49 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Lol that doesn't sound like good advice – diff fluid is changed to protect the gears (fluid gets depleted of the extreme pressure additives and other additives as it ages) and should be changed at a regular interval irrespective of a leak.
For sure. That said, as I understand it, the front diff is very lightly stressed, as it mostly goes along for the ride. In other words, it only is used to transmit force when the AWD needs to be activated.

In any event, if they won't do it, I likely won't either.

Old 08-14-16, 11:32 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

For sure. That said, as I understand it, the front diff is very lightly stressed, as it mostly goes along for the ride. In other words, it only is used to transmit force when the AWD needs to be activated.

In any event, if they won't do it, I likely won't either.
Interesting, I wasn't aware that it wasn't active full-time!

Yeah I believe the engine has to be lifted up a few inches to get access to the front diff fill bolt.
Old 08-15-16, 02:49 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus dealer charged me a bit LESS for the trans flush and rear diff fluid. They also told me that you cannot access the front diff to change that fluid without major mechanical effort.

For what it is worth.
Interesting. I've never had any issue servicing the front diff. I guess their techs don't have a swivel head ratchet. They lied to you my friend.
Old 04-14-17, 02:11 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you're right it does look a little light for a 80k mile car at that time. true that it only does work 30% of the time but I live in a snow area so maybe it activates more than it needs? sometimes i do try and power out
Old 05-29-17, 08:20 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update front diff fixed

So, I finally got it into the shop and the guy said based on the red filler, my diff has been opened before apparently. The mechanic says that the seals were just going bad due to wear and tear and that its most likely normal.

My car is at 100k miles spotted this problem at around like maybe 90K?

Ever since the job was done I have gotten rid of the vibration problems from 2nd and 3rd gear around 1500 RPM when throttling very slightly.

COST: 900$ since it took the job about 8 hours.

I also got the mechanic to flush my tranny fluid!!!