GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sunroof dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 08:54 AM
darimura
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof dead

I have purchased a used 2006 GS430, The sunroof never worked since I had taken ownership the sunroof does not open or tilt not a sound, I checked the fuse under the drivers dash and looked at what looks like a main fuse (#67) in the engine compartment alongside the battery both fuses looked good and I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset any minor faults, I have also tried holding the sunroof buttons for 30 seconds and still nothing. does anyone have any insight ??
Old 04-09-15, 12:39 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by darimura
I have purchased a used 2006 GS430, The sunroof never worked since I had taken ownership the sunroof does not open or tilt not a sound, I checked the fuse under the drivers dash and looked at what looks like a main fuse (#67) in the engine compartment alongside the battery both fuses looked good and I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset any minor faults, I have also tried holding the sunroof buttons for 30 seconds and still nothing. does anyone have any insight ??
Start by checking if you have power to the fuse then trace to the switch and finally the motor...
Old 04-09-15, 12:53 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

There's also a fuse box on the passenger side and the rear trunk.

It's too hot (100F out right now) for me to go and run a fuse check for you buddy. Like Gotcha350 said, see if there's power with a multimeter.

I'm not sure if our cars have relays, but might be worth looking into to see if the relay is faulty.
Old 08-24-15, 09:45 PM
darimura
Rookie

So I finally got around to do some diagnosing, I located the fuse panel in the drivers side compartment #35 25-amp fuse is NOT blown, then I checked with a meter and did not show power on either side of the fuse socket. this is where I am not sure on where to go. I looked in the owners manual and there is a fuse block located in the engine bay (next to the battery) (passenger side) that shows a bizarre looking possible relay block (picture) the manual indicates fuse #67 80 ampere
LH J B-AM this fuse seems to power many things one of which is S/Roof

my question is that I have never seen one of these blocks before let alone how do I check if this part is working properly?

Old 08-24-15, 11:15 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

those "boxes" have nothing to do with the sunroof, so it doesn't matter.

See if this manual and wiring diagram help.
If you get it working, post back what you did
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
67-slidingroof.pdf (1.36 MB, 537 views)
File Type: pdf
ewd-sr.pdf (64.3 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by pman6; 08-24-15 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
coug66 (05-21-17)
Old 08-25-15, 04:39 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the belt by removing the dome light.

i know mine skipped a bunch of teeth not too long ago and when you pressed any buttons for the sunroof you wouldnt hear a sound. i had to drop down my roof becuase not only the belt was off but the rail for the sunroof was off too.
Old 08-25-15, 09:15 PM
darimura
Rookie

pman6

thanks for the prints, possibly might be an ecu problem but I will need to verify, I will update this post once I find out.
Old 12-13-15, 04:08 PM
darimura
Rookie

Well my problem was not electrical but mechanical, the previous owner had disconnected the power going into the moonroof drive motor, so you can imagine I was a little hesitant to plug it back in. I plugged it in and pressed the switch and only one side seems to move and now the moonroof is diagonally jammed, which sounds familiar to the same issue as the posts listed earlier.

does anyone have a print for dropping down the headliner?

thanks in advance
Old 12-14-15, 04:31 PM
darimura
Rookie

I was able to dig deeper in the problem and was to take out the moonroof drive motor and find the broken drive cable to be the problem.

my local Lexus dealer with indecision told me that the entire moonroof assembly would have to be purchased.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Old 12-14-15, 05:14 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I would think that the dealer would try and scam you... So try and find a shop that specializes in Toyota's to get them to fix the problem! I was wonder where I could buy the weatherstrip because mines starting to look its peeling a bit... can I just re-glue it? can I do it myself?
maybe this might help OP

Last edited by xbladex00; 12-14-15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 04:19 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to dig deeper in the problem and was to take out the moonroof drive motor and find the broken drive cable to be the problem.

my local Lexus dealer with indecision told me that the entire moonroof assembly would have to be purchased.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

any updates on your roof?
Old 06-30-18, 02:14 PM
TDIII
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uberEJ
check the belt by removing the dome light.

i know mine skipped a bunch of teeth not too long ago and when you pressed any buttons for the sunroof you wouldnt hear a sound. i had to drop down my roof becuase not only the belt was off but the rail for the sunroof was off too.
I think the teeth on the passenegr side of my sunroof is missing also. I have had no luck being able to close my suynroof, although the motor still runs. How did you fix yours?
Old 06-30-18, 02:16 PM
TDIII
Driver School Candidate

Well my problem was not electrical but mechanical, the previous owner had disconnected the power going into the moonroof drive motor, so you can imagine I was a little hesitant to plug it back in. I plugged it in and pressed the switch and only one side seems to move and now the moonroof is diagonally jammed, which sounds familiar to the same issue as the posts listed earlier.

does anyone have a print for dropping down the headliner?

thanks in advance
How did you resolve this? I believe I have the exact same issue...
Old 07-19-20, 11:56 AM
LKP730
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TDIII
How did you resolve this? I believe I have the exact same issue...
Hi, I have the same issue. Did anyone have a solution to this?
Old 10-10-22, 11:36 PM
Huezzy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
those "boxes" have nothing to do with the sunroof, so it doesn't matter.

See if this manual and wiring diagram help.
If you get it working, post back what you did
Hey just wondering if you have any more PDFs like this for this car? Been looking to work on it by myself.

Quick Reply: Sunroof dead