GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Navigation Drive Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 08:13 PM
illini19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Drive Bad?

I was trying to change my disk from 12.1 to 13.1 in my 2008 GS 350 AWD so I ejected the disk via the screen, took it out and put the new one in. Started making a continuous clicking sound and then took the disk half-way out then in then totally out. I was like, WTF. Ok, maybe a bad disk so I tried to put 12.1 back in and same thing happened. Ok now I tired the orignal disk that came with the car. Same thing. Very odd. It worked fine up unitl the second I took it off. Any thoughts?

Last edited by illini19; 01-11-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 11:06 AM
illini19
Rookie

Old 01-13-15, 03:06 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow that sounds bad. Yea sounds like its bad, sounds like a cd player head unit when its bad. Try to see if you can find a used one and do it yourself before you try the dealership, also try spraying of the duster air could just be some dust in there. I was gonna say let it sit a little and restart car but this is three days now so sure that won't work. I would say try your dealership see if they can pinpoint the problem then do it yourself.
Old 01-13-15, 11:54 AM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Wow that sounds bad. Yea sounds like its bad, sounds like a cd player head unit when its bad. Try to see if you can find a used one and do it yourself before you try the dealership, also try spraying of the duster air could just be some dust in there. I was gonna say let it sit a little and restart car but this is three days now so sure that won't work. I would say try your dealership see if they can pinpoint the problem then do it yourself.
Thanks bigblack06. I'll try spraying but sounds more mechinical but never know. If that doesn't work, then I'll open the area up and get the drive out and see what's doing. Looked at some used ones on ebay. All over the place but around $300 average. Better than $4000 I guess. I'm sure if I take it to the dealer they will say, bad drive. You need a new one but I might try that first tomorrow.
Old 01-13-15, 02:38 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before spending money, I'd look inside to see if something came loose inside.
Old 01-14-15, 10:01 AM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Before spending money, I'd look inside to see if something came loose inside.
Thanks DrexLex, I plan on taking it apart as best I can and see if anything stands out before I go out and purchase anything. Very odd that is was working fine and no issues and all I did was eject the disk and try inserting the new one and then the issues. Ughhhh
Old 01-14-15, 11:34 AM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by illini19
I was trying to change my disk from 12.1 to 13.1 in my 2008 GS 350 AWD so I ejected the disk via the screen, took it out and put the new one in. Started making a continuous clicking sound and then took the disk half-way out then in then totally out. I was like, WTF. Ok, maybe a bad disk so I tried to put 12.1 back in and same thing happened. Ok now I tired the orignal disk that came with the car. Same thing. Very odd. It worked fine up unitl the second I took it off. Any thoughts?

Here's my saga (exact same issue as you):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-a-dealer.html

Your DVD drive is dead. Replacement of it is dramatically expensive since its a Auto Temp rated product if you can even find one, Denso seems to have them on lockdown. Had the same thing happen to me. You aren't going to fix it, its the plastic gears inside the DVD are kaput.

Good news though, if you can get a new nav ECU its about 1 hour to replace it in the glovebox.
Old 01-14-15, 12:12 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2008gs460
Here's my saga (exact same issue as you):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-a-dealer.html

Your DVD drive is dead. Replacement of it is dramatically expensive since its a Auto Temp rated product if you can even find one, Denso seems to have them on lockdown. Had the same thing happen to me. You aren't going to fix it, its the plastic gears inside the DVD are kaput.

Good news though, if you can get a new nav ECU its about 1 hour to replace it in the glovebox.
Figured as much 2008gs460. Thanks for the link to your original post. Finding a new one is going to be a challenge. I did search Ebay and there are a bunch of used ones that range from $150-$500. Buying a used one doesn't really appeal to me but options are limited. No chance I'm spending big $$$$ to replace. Maybe roll the dice on a used one. UGH!
Old 01-15-15, 12:12 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

If it looks like this inside, no picnic to fix the mechanism. Denso link. But there is a chance that you could help the disc get seated into the drive, and it could work, until someone pushes the button again.

Last edited by DrexLex; 01-15-15 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 03:21 PM
illini19
Rookie

If it looks like this inside, no picnic to fix the mechanism. Denso link. But there is a chance that you could help the disc get seated into the drive, and it could work, until someone pushes the button again.
Interesting....still trying to find a decent used one or new one at a fair price that I can get my hands on.
Old 01-15-15, 07:40 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

In the video your inserting the disk label side down, doesn't it go label side up? Fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-16-15, 10:48 AM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeller
In the video your inserting the disk label side down, doesn't it go label side up? Fingers crossed for you.
THe label is up. Just hard to tell from the video. It's a backup copy that I made but I tried the original disk that came with the vehicle as well as others that worked along the way. All the same result.
Old 01-27-15, 12:10 PM
illini19
Rookie

Had a buddy give me a new ECU he had ecept it's model 86841-0E030 which is from the RX I think. he said it would work and all I needed to do is take off the plastic face cover.

So after I figured out how to get that stupid glove box out, which is not easy since you have to take pretty much everything apart, I replaced and he was right, it does work well except for the fact the new unit has a slider on the top of the ECU to eject the disk where my orignal 86421-33040 has the eject built into the nav screen. The eject button is no longer available on the nav screen so if I want to update the disk, yup, everything has to be taken apart again.

Not really a big deal as I have 12.1 in there now and they are one 14.1 so it should be fine for a while. Mission accomplished I guess to a certain extent.
Old 01-28-15, 12:46 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by illini19
Mission accomplished I guess to a certain extent.
Good news!

What are you gonna do with the old drive? If you're gonna toss it, toss it my way. I'd like to better understand the failure mechanism.
Old 01-28-15, 10:05 AM
illini19
Rookie

Good news!

What are you gonna do with the old drive? If you're gonna toss it, toss it my way. I'd like to better understand the failure mechanism.
Funny DrexLex, I just took the thing apart and after staring at it for a couple minutes, put it back together not touching anything. I was thinking about seeing if someone who had more expertise wouuld want to try to take a shot at perhaps seeing where it failed and fixing it for me and if it was not worth it, no biggie. Worth a try. If you want to take a shot at it let me know. I would make it worth your efforts.

Quick Reply: Navigation Drive Bad?