GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 05:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

this recall going/went smoothly for everyone so far?
Old 03-11-14, 08:07 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james0076s
Turned out to be the 02 sensor, Not sure how that went bad as it has no correlation with the engine recall. I was out of warranty, I expressed my frustration to the Service Advisor of having to pay for this but they went ahead with a good will replacment for me. to Lexus Service!
Way better than Inifiniti, which likes to place the blaming game which I previously use to go through.
My question is, is it possible to have a faulty O2 sensor and not have the Check Engine and VSC light come on? I'm running just a little bit rougher than normal and I've had the Check Engine and VSC light come on after redlining my car. Because I had a very similar incident to you and I'm thinking a faulty O2 sensor could be the culprit..and not a loose battery connection like the dealership said!

Last edited by Mesca; 03-11-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 07:38 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped mine off today for this service. I also requested they replace the spark plugs which I provided (Lexus plugs from Sewell). They quoted me $450 for replacing the plugs but would call me back with an "adjustment" since I provided the plugs and they were already going to be working on it. They called me an hour later and said it would "only" be $325. WTF?!? I told them no thanks, that's the difference in the price of the plugs! They have all of that torn apart and the coil packs off, right?? I'm going to give them hell tomorrow when I go to pick up the car. What kind of scam is this? At that point, it should be a 15 minute job to remove and replace the spark plugs yet they're trying to charge me full labor. Anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 04-03-14, 08:25 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Damn I'm in the wrong business lol. That's highway robbery. It's not even that hard of a job WITHOUT having everything already apart. I'm pretty sure I could do it one handed in less than an hour.
Old 04-03-14, 09:02 PM
darinmg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 30-45 minute job. Takes almost as long to take the plastic covers off and put them back on as it does to change the plugs.
Old 04-03-14, 10:01 PM
geester
Driver School Candidate

I would **** and moan on the spark plugs....They did mine free of charge since I had the plugs already. If not, they were going to just charge parts costs. I would see if you can get another service rep to talk to. Mine was telling me the best ways to save on all the costs.

Also got an oil change, radiator flush, differential fluid change, brake fluid flush, changed air and cabin filters...I provided all parts except for differential.

Charged $388 total. Transmission flush up to $500 now since they said their new machine is able to replace 14 quarts rather than the 4 quarts in the past, which was $120. So I passed. I will buy the ATF fluid and I think he said labor is about $300 on this.

Only drawback on the service is they did not fill the gas tank. I purposely left it almost empty for that sole purpose...Dang!!
Old 04-04-14, 10:51 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anthrax144
I dropped mine off today for this service. I also requested they replace the spark plugs which I provided (Lexus plugs from Sewell). They quoted me $450 for replacing the plugs but would call me back with an "adjustment" since I provided the plugs and they were already going to be working on it. They called me an hour later and said it would "only" be $325. WTF?!? I told them no thanks, that's the difference in the price of the plugs! They have all of that torn apart and the coil packs off, right?? I'm going to give them hell tomorrow when I go to pick up the car. What kind of scam is this? At that point, it should be a 15 minute job to remove and replace the spark plugs yet they're trying to charge me full labor. Anyone else had a similar experience?
That's a load of crap!! Have they started the work, tell them you're going to take it somewhere else cause the other place isn't going to charge you to put plugs in; assuming you have someone else you can take it too... LOL...
Old 05-17-14, 01:30 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Received the recall notice in mail and called local dealer to set it ail up. Get this - they say that ONLY the Service Manager can schedule these appointments and she only works Mon-Fri. Was told I would get a call from her to do this but have waited over a week already and nothing at all. What in the world could be so vital that ONLY the Manager has to be involved with?
How essential is this recall to the car and is it bad to wait a long time before being done?
BTW- this dealer is in Alexandria VA.
Old 07-13-14, 12:08 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

I dropped my car off to get the VVT recall a few days ago. I get it back tomorrow and I honestly can't wait. Really not feeling the ES350 loaner. This is my first Lexus and I have to admit I'm really appalled by the customer service and how professionally they handled the situation thus far, but the servicing for the car is insane for things I can do myself!! I mean nearly $120 for an air filter change and $230 for an injector flush and cleaning the throttle body?!

Last edited by Mistahoo; 07-13-14 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 12:50 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mistahoo, that why I head to the toyota dealer to get the same service done for 1/3 the price. Granted i'm not walking on "marble" floors, I am willing to deal with it to save a nickle
Old 07-14-14, 09:02 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

Yeah... I didn't get the servicing done. I'd rather do them myself and save some money. Besides most of the things I'll need are about $20 a piece and some sweat
Old 09-15-14, 07:29 AM
drydeniv
Driver School Candidate

I just had the VVT recall done (about a week ago, '2010 GS350, 34k mi), and I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing anything like I am....

1 (minor): the Idle seems to be a bit more rough - it's never been the smoothest idling car, but it seems to intermittently shudder now - more frequently than it was before, RPM stays pretty steady during the little shudders, that i can only notice at a stop light or during a longer idle (and when my radio is fairly quiet).

2 (unsure). Has anyone been having issues re: engine starting? I've had about 3 issues so far:
when I went to start my car today, it initially started like normal (hear the crank, and i heard the very beginning of engine starting / revving), but as soon as the starter kicked off the engine died - , no error messages or warning lights came on. However, when i tried to start the car again, it worked perfectly, and worked fine throughout the day. It has struggled a time or two since then, but hasn't had the same issue.
The battery voltage measured 12.45V (~70% life, off state) a few weeks ago, so i kind of doubt that is the problem at the moment, although it is a couple years old

I haven't driven enough to determine fuel economy changes, but I log everything, so I'll post back with an update on that.