GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Adding a Sub-woofer non-ML

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 11:59 AM
Leatherlip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a Sub-woofer non-ML

I have a 12" Infinity Kappa perfect 12 sub woofer and a JBL BP600.1 amp that I've used in a couple of other cars.
I'm thinking of putting it in my GS350 (2010). In the past I've run wiring from the head unit to the inputs, but I've seen some posts where people are taking the wires that run into the existing sub woofer and tap off those(or I think that's what I've read).

From what I see on the amp, it seems to take either low or high inputs.
SO, is it correct that the I can tap off the existing sub woofer (I assume the non-ML has one?) for the Amp, and only need a power cable?

The other question would be about an enclosure. I have a sealed box now that will work, but I was hoping to get something that would be more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not looking for booming base, but rather tight realistic bass. (jazz/classical). I did see some posts about someone that used to make one that fit will in the corner of the trunk but they don't seem to be selling them any longer.
THANKS
Old 08-13-13, 07:53 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Leatherlip
I have a 12" Infinity Kappa perfect 12 sub woofer and a JBL BP600.1 amp that I've used in a couple of other cars.
I'm thinking of putting it in my GS350 (2010). In the past I've run wiring from the head unit to the inputs, but I've seen some posts where people are taking the wires that run into the existing sub woofer and tap off those(or I think that's what I've read).

From what I see on the amp, it seems to take either low or high inputs.
SO, is it correct that the I can tap off the existing sub woofer (I assume the non-ML has one?) for the Amp, and only need a power cable?

The other question would be about an enclosure. I have a sealed box now that will work, but I was hoping to get something that would be more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not looking for booming base, but rather tight realistic bass. (jazz/classical). I did see some posts about someone that used to make one that fit will in the corner of the trunk but they don't seem to be selling them any longer.
THANKS
You are correct as long as you use the speaker level inputs instead of RCA you don't have to run a remote turn on line. Therefore you just need to run a power line and ground the amp somewhere in the trunk.

As far as the custom box, its called a 4080 or something close to that. I don't think its made anymore but I did see a link on this form for a company that was selling the item. If memory severs me correctly the item was out of stock and the customer service was bad.

Why don't you replace the 10 sub with a better one, that should give you the sound your looking for and save some trunk space.
Old 08-14-13, 03:16 AM
Leatherlip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YaMomma

Why don't you replace the 10 sub with a better one, that should give you the sound your looking for and save some trunk space.
Do you have any recommendations on a new 10" sub? I assume I'd still need to find a decent stealth enclosure for it. Are there more options for 10"?
Thanks!
Old 08-14-13, 06:35 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have some nice old school equipment there!

You won't be happy with a 10 for jazz/classical because 99% of them cannot match the low frequency extension of your Perfect 12. Any of them that will, will have to be in a ported box that will be harder to conceal (due to port length) than a sealed box for your 12.

Doing this the right way means to spend your $ on a custom box for your 12. Your ears and your wallet will thank you. You would have to spend some $$$ to beat the sound/output of the Perfect 12. PLUS... you wouldn't even have a box yet! I would know, I've been sponsored by and built cars with the old PPI and Morel.
Old 08-15-13, 03:16 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not saying that a infinite baffle 10 will be louder than a 12 in a ported box but from what I've seen, the 4080 box you are looking for is a sealed inclosure. I have two Kicker CompVR sitting in the garage from my Saab that I didn't put in the GS because the trunk is to small. So if you don't have a problem loosing trunk space then I agree putting your 12 in a ported box will give you the best sound.

I replaced the 10 in the back deck of the car with a Kicker CompD using it as a infinite baffle (free air) therefore there is no box. To me it sounds good, it doesn't sound anything close to my 12's but the bass is cleaner and a little louder. What I would like is a AE IB10AU but it has to be ordered and its expensive for a 10.

I however have ML which maybe why I'm happy with the overall sound of the car. Other members have connected an additional amp to the existing sub to improve the sound...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-better.html

But they had the ML system as well so I don't know what the outcome would be for a non-ML.
Old 08-15-13, 05:52 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point YaMomma. Simply adding an amplifier to the existing sub... and adding a remote gain control (basically a volume ****) would be a great way to do it. That AE sub would take the extra power with aplomb.

OP, your BP600.1 would be perfect as it is a low impedance capable amplifier and even takes high level inputs if you wanted to just hook up directly.

Otherwise you'd have to do a high/low converter, route the RCAs to the front of the car to a spot for your remote gain control, and then route another set of RCAs back to the amp.

Last edited by Simmsled; 08-15-13 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 07:17 AM
myfirstgs
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, this is my first post. Yamomma, did you have to do any modifications tor the kicker sub and is it being powered by your factory system? I sent AE an email to get pricing information. Is the AE that much better than kicker?
Old 08-21-13, 08:16 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

The AE is BUILT for infinite baffle/free-air, so essentially, it SHOULD be.... No one has tested the kicker and the AE side by side to tell you yet though. So until then, we don't know.
Old 08-22-13, 04:14 PM
myfirstgs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know of a sub that can replace the ML sub that is a little better without upgrading the amp?
Old 08-22-13, 04:47 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amp has no power and is what really limits the subs potential. The stock sub is a dual 2 ohm voice coil configuration. I used a two channel stereo amp with one channel on each voice coil and it worked fine. I had to make the hole larger under the sub in the rear deck cover and dampen the cover as well because when I added the power it would rattle. I also dynamatted the rear deck.

I have since moved on to a single sub in a sealed box firing towards the back of the trunk and I am much happier. I have a JL12w6v2 and a Morel Primo 10 that I switch back and forth from and they both do quite well.
Old 08-22-13, 05:33 PM
XxGoKoUxX

hey myfirst, I would love it even more if you could test out that AE sub man, if it weren't for my 2 sd-2 12's (Sundown Audio) I would definitely venture into replacement 10s for IB/Free-Air.

Audiobob, how does the 12w6v2 compare to the morel primo 10? I've never heard the Morel Primo 10 before, but I've phased myself out of JL Audio gear now since I purchased my sundown subs
Old 08-22-13, 07:03 PM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 12w6v2 is much louder than the Morel Primo 10, but I really like the sound of the Morel better. The box that I have for the 12w6 is about one cubic foot so it is smaller than the 1.25 or 1.35 that I think that it really needs. I have the Morel in a 1 cubic foot box, which is ideal according to Morel. I inherited the JL in the last month and I have not built a new box for it yet. In my experience with subs in a small box they tend to be on the boomy side and that is what I think is going on with it.

I have heard good things about Sundown as well as AE when it comes to IB subs. The AE IB15 is pretty legendary with IB fanatics. You could also mount a baffle board below the deck and move up to a 12' pretty easy if you wanted to go IB. You are just not going to get much output out of a singel 10" IB. If using the stock amp on the rest of the system, the stock sub on a decent amp will satisfy most people.
Old 08-22-13, 07:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by AudioBob
The 12w6v2 is much louder than the Morel Primo 10, but I really like the sound of the Morel better. The box that I have for the 12w6 is about one cubic foot so it is smaller than the 1.25 or 1.35 that I think that it really needs. I have the Morel in a 1 cubic foot box, which is ideal according to Morel. I inherited the JL in the last month and I have not built a new box for it yet. In my experience with subs in a small box they tend to be on the boomy side and that is what I think is going on with it.

I have heard good things about Sundown as well as AE when it comes to IB subs. The AE IB15 is pretty legendary with IB fanatics. You could also mount a baffle board below the deck and move up to a 12' pretty easy if you wanted to go IB. You are just not going to get much output out of a singel 10" IB. If using the stock amp on the rest of the system, the stock sub on a decent amp will satisfy most people.
Personally, I would favor the Morel over the JL since the SQ is much better in that criteria. I've also had the JL 12w6, and while it is boomy, it just isn't as accurate as I wanted it to be. I had one in a ported box down to the exact specs JL recommended. One side literally took up my whole trunk so I gave it away to a friend and he refoamed+rebuilt a new box for it.

I'm in the works of doing a sealed box on each of the inserts on the left and right side of the trunk. I wasted about half a gallon on "recommended" fiberglass resin and hardener, while the hardener didn't even make the glass harden. So I trashed the project and am starting over this spring break

To me, that is probably the most space efficient way to run things, especially since I don't use the two sides for anything besides the emergency kit.
Old 08-26-13, 07:16 AM
myfirstgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
hey myfirst, I would love it even more if you could test out that AE sub man, if it weren't for my 2 sd-2 12's (Sundown Audio) I would definitely venture into replacement 10s for IB/Free-Air.
Would love to try the AE sub but I sent an email to them for price and no response. I also tried calling but it seems they're located in Nova Scotia and I don't any expensive phone bill. So no AE for me.

I will try dynamating the rear deck. If I'm still not happy then I'll add an amp to the factory sub, then I'll probably add a pair of 10's or single sealed 12. I have a 15 month daughter so I need my trunk. I would have loved one of those 1080 enclosures but they're no longer being made. I will go with whatever sealed enclosure that will give me the most trunk space. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 08-26-13, 09:40 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by myfirstgs
Would love to try the AE sub but I sent an email to them for price and no response. I also tried calling but it seems they're located in Nova Scotia and I don't any expensive phone bill. So no AE for me.

I will try dynamating the rear deck. If I'm still not happy then I'll add an amp to the factory sub, then I'll probably add a pair of 10's or single sealed 12. I have a 15 month daughter so I need my trunk. I would have loved one of those 1080 enclosures but they're no longer being made. I will go with whatever sealed enclosure that will give me the most trunk space. Thanks for the suggestions
I would do a pair of 12s, it was what was in my car (2 12's sealed, fit PERFECTLY in the notch towards the cabin). I used 2 Sundown SD-2 12s, it was L-O-U-D, and I was only pushing like 500-750w to it. It was flexing the roof, mirrors, and other components so I turned it down to maybe 2/10th's gain or something.... It is now out of the car and my trunk is awaiting a more "flush" setup on the left and right notches instead.

The 4080 enclosures are still being made.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...enclosure.html

They branched off to another company, and are charging people 450ish PER box..... Ridiculous IMO.

Quick Reply: Adding a Sub-woofer non-ML