GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

All front lights went out simultaneously while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 09:00 AM
onebratt08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All front lights went out simultaneously while driving

Last night, my husband's 2007 GS350 experienced a problem. All the lights on the front end of the car went out - no running lights or headlights. I don't know if the same happened to the rear lights. I wish he had pulled over so we could have checked them. Instead he turned the lights off and back on a couple of times and after a short delay, all the lights started working again. He runs his lights on auto, so my thought was a bad sensor, but the daytime running lights didn't come on when the problem occurred, so we don't think it's a bad sensor. I've done some reading on the forums about this and everything from fuse to ballast to headlights have been mentioned as the problem. Seeing that all the lights on both side of the front end of the car went out at the same time, I'm not believing it's a bad headlight or ballast, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the anatomy of this car to feel confident in that belief. I'm leaning towards thinking this could be a fuse issue. The hole in my fuse theory is that it seems odd that they would start working again after a couple off and on sequences.
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-13, 03:43 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by onebratt08
Last night, my husband's 2007 GS350 experienced a problem. All the lights on the front end of the car went out - no running lights or headlights. I don't know if the same happened to the rear lights. I wish he had pulled over so we could have checked them. Instead he turned the lights off and back on a couple of times and after a short delay, all the lights started working again. He runs his lights on auto, so my thought was a bad sensor, but the daytime running lights didn't come on when the problem occurred, so we don't think it's a bad sensor. I've done some reading on the forums about this and everything from fuse to ballast to headlights have been mentioned as the problem. Seeing that all the lights on both side of the front end of the car went out at the same time, I'm not believing it's a bad headlight or ballast, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the anatomy of this car to feel confident in that belief. I'm leaning towards thinking this could be a fuse issue. The hole in my fuse theory is that it seems odd that they would start working again after a couple off and on sequences.
Thanks for the help!
Very strange that this has happened, I also would rule out a fuse as it would definitely not turn back on. If you are using your lights on auto, like you said.... it will rule out with the fact that your DRLs would be on/off. However you said you didn't get out of the car, DRLs are meant for people to just see your car during the day, they may have been on since you did not get out of the car. To my knowledge anyways, the DRL aren't bright enough with street lights around you for lighting detection to be off. Next time it happens, definitely get out of the car... As you can rule out the sensor.... (Also, the sensor would do nothing to the car to my knowledge if you just simply flip the switch to the ON position, correct me if I am wrong here anyone).

Ballasts can be ruled out as apparently, you assume the whole system shut down. It doesn't have a chance of being ballasts/bulbs, BUT I would say this would be an exception to it.

If I am wrong on my suggestion, someone here please correct me.... But I'd take a look at a relay for your headlights. I am sure there is a relay for it somewhere as this would definitely explain what's gone bad.

Either way, good luck and hope it doesn't happen while you're on the road!
Old 07-05-13, 05:46 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with your husband. I personally do not like to stop on the side of the road and especially at night. Try everything I could to get everyone home safe, than find the problem and KILL it. Safety first.

Super weird that all lights went out. I think the problem is the switch to turn the light ON/OFF. Goodluck finding the problem.