GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Akebono brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 02:51 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You cant run the aftermarket pads with the oem shims.
Just curious if there is a specific reason you say you "can't"?

cheers
Old 06-11-13, 07:25 AM
dzell81
Rookie

Originally Posted by phat32
I just purchased the same setup with the akebono pads and centric premium rotors for my 06 GS 300 AWD. i did some product reviews on these individually but nothing together... everything i read was positive stuff, once i put mine on this coming tuesday ill advise on what i think.
Let us know how it goes. I'm doing my front end this weekend with the same parts.
Old 06-13-13, 05:36 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dzell81
Let us know how it goes. I'm doing my front end this weekend with the same parts.
i was to lazt to put them on the last couple of days. I've been trying to look over a DIY write up from someone to see what all is needed as far as removing the rotors. Anyone have a link for that??
Old 06-13-13, 07:07 AM
dzell81
Rookie

Found this yesterday. I think its close enough to our setup. Someone let me know if I'm way off on that......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nt-brakes.html
Old 06-13-13, 07:21 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by phat32
i was to lazt to put them on the last couple of days. I've been trying to look over a DIY write up from someone to see what all is needed as far as removing the rotors. Anyone have a link for that??
Rotors are easy to take off. Once you have the caliper off the rotors just pop off by screwing in two 8mm bolts into the holes in the rotors. See link below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...many-pics.html
Old 06-17-13, 06:00 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Just curious if there is a specific reason you say you "can't"?

cheers
I couldn't use the OEM shims when i put my akebono pads on because the pad base was too wide and thick. Plus the akebonos already had metal base on the back side like built into the pad.

I put the brakes on the past weekend. The fronts went on fairly easy but the rear was more of a pain because on thise metal keepers that keep tha pads in place. Wasnt a hard job just a little time consuming. The car stops smooth and theres no brake noise at all. There was a guy in the shop putting the same setup on his Vette so it must be a pretty popular combo. only have around 175 miles on them so far so i can say im pretty happy especially with the quality of the pads over stock.
Old 06-18-13, 05:08 AM
dzell81
Rookie

So I finally started in on my project last night. Was just planning to do the front end.

The first setup went fine. I replaced the pads and rotor and had it back together in 45 mins (not bad for me).

The second corner was going even quicker until I tried to put the caliper bolts back in. It looks like the dealership that did them last time completely cross-threaded the bolts into the calipers. I can't get them back in with my equipment. Going to a shop this morning to see if they can re-tap the calipers.

So question is. If I don't have any success re-taping the caliper and I have to get a new one.... should I replace both front calipers? Also, after unhooking the break line from the front left caliper (as I did last night) will I need to bleed all four corners?
Old 06-18-13, 05:10 AM
dzell81
Rookie

Also. The local Advance shop carries two brands; Fenco and Beck/Arnley.

Anyone have a preference?
Old 06-21-13, 05:58 AM
phat32
Driver School Candidate

So I finally started in on my project last night. Was just planning to do the front end.

The first setup went fine. I replaced the pads and rotor and had it back together in 45 mins (not bad for me).

The second corner was going even quicker until I tried to put the caliper bolts back in. It looks like the dealership that did them last time completely cross-threaded the bolts into the calipers. I can't get them back in with my equipment. Going to a shop this morning to see if they can re-tap the calipers.

So question is. If I don't have any success re-taping the caliper and I have to get a new one.... should I replace both front calipers? Also, after unhooking the break line from the front left caliper (as I did last night) will I need to bleed all four corners?
what did you end up doing with your caliper???
Old 06-26-13, 05:02 PM
dzell81
Rookie

Sorry for the delay, did a long weekend in Vegas.

The situation got even worse..... I got new calipers for the front axel and installed them right before my trip. I can't think of the name off hand, but I'll look later on and repost. They are a glossy black exact replica of the ones I took off and I think they look pretty sharp. I think all in after the core I paid $120 per.

After installing them and bleeding the two front corners extensively, I took it for a quick test drive. I noticed very early I had almost no braking power. Figured I must have gotten too much air in the system and would need to bleed the rear as well. So when i got back from Vegas began the project. While removing the first rear wheel I broke the lug-key off in the locking lug nut.

Finally gave up, took it to the dealer and had them replace the locking lugs, flush the break-fluid, and turn off all the warning lights (3) that were on. Things are in good shape now, but I'm not looking forward to the next job.

Better luck to the others!
Old 12-11-15, 12:57 PM
silent8i7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by illini19
2008 GS350 AWD - Going on either this weekend or next. Just need to find the time. The pin and bushings are for my driver side rear caliper that is seized. Just in case I needed a new one if the old one is in too bad of shape.
I have the same 3GS as you, what ACT number are those Akebono pads that you are using?
Old 12-12-15, 11:50 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for the delay, did a long weekend in Vegas.

The situation got even worse..... I got new calipers for the front axel and installed them right before my trip. I can't think of the name off hand, but I'll look later on and repost. They are a glossy black exact replica of the ones I took off and I think they look pretty sharp. I think all in after the core I paid $120 per.

After installing them and bleeding the two front corners extensively, I took it for a quick test drive. I noticed very early I had almost no braking power. Figured I must have gotten too much air in the system and would need to bleed the rear as well. So when i got back from Vegas began the project. While removing the first rear wheel I broke the lug-key off in the locking lug nut.

Finally gave up, took it to the dealer and had them replace the locking lugs, flush the break-fluid, and turn off all the warning lights (3) that were on. Things are in good shape now, but I'm not looking forward to the next job.

Better luck to the others!
damn one hell of a ride you got going dzell81... I had a time where I bleed the brakes too by unbolting the lines and didnt even get the brakes to work... at that time i think i was doing the rear calipers too... had to shift from drive to park and there was a slamming sound got it sent to the shop to do after that so be careful guys and remember to clamp the brake lines before you change them!