GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 06:26 PM
YoungBbile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this. I'm sure this saved me a couple hundred bucks. Thanks OP!
Old 07-17-16, 01:40 PM
Fivecat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xman
Well like many other owners I recently developed wet carpets in the back and damp carpets up front. After searching the forums I saw how common the problem was and TSB's that addressed the issue. Although I could drop the tranny and gain access to the plug as posted in the DIY by another member it seemed as if there was a better way. Well this is what I did and it took all of 20 mins start to finish with no unbolting of the exhaust, tranny or drive shaft.

After driving the car up on ramps I removed the black plastic cover from under the tranny held by 4 screws and 2 plastic nuts. Then used a lighted inspection camera with a flex head to see the plug. I purchased the camera from Harbor Freight Tools for 80 bucks. Next I used 11 inch long needle nose pliers with a right angle tip. With my left hand I snaked the flex tip camera up and over the tranny from the pass side just above the shift linkage. Then with my right hand I was able to get my arm up between the suspension and catalytic converter with the pliers. Keeping the camera focused on the plug I was able to guide my pliers to the plug and remove it.

I let the car run for 10 mins with the windows up and the AC on high to confirm that water was now coming from the drain. With my car long out of warranty this would have been an out of pocket expense. Just for safe measure I am going to pull the rear seat bottom and the front seats to remove the carpet. This allow me to clean the carpet thoroughly and spray lysol underneath to kill any possible mold spores as I am not sure how long the water had been there.

Hopefully this will help others. SInce its doesn't take very long to complete I would recommend others with 2006-2007 GS or IS cars do it as preventative maintenance. It can save alot of headaches and potential dangerous mold from forming in the carpets. With the factory mats covered with rubber underneath this can go undetected for quite a while.
I had the "water in the rear footwells" issue. Did all the research and found posts and Lexus TSB that said the trans needs to be dropped. Thanks xman for the tips. I did not have the tools to drop the exhaust and transmission, so I continued to try alternatives. I finally positioned myself under the transmission with the front of the car lifted securely on floor jacks; my head toward the rear and my feet out the front. This allowed me to literally hug the transmission and get my hands up and around to the top where the drain is located. In this position I was able to reach the drain with my hands and pry the grommet off with my fingers. It was not easy, but it was possible. The ac is now draining. I spent the rest of the day sucking out the water with a wet/dry shop vac until it was as dry as possible. Then I ran the heat full hot on the floors and allowed the car to run and dry the remaining moisture.
Old 07-18-16, 06:38 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You muscled that thing. Wow
Old 02-21-17, 10:29 AM
tbjohnton
Driver School Candidate

2006 is350 great write-ups to get this fixed. I didnt disconnect anything, like some of the others, I could feel the grommet by putting my arm up the drive side of the transmission, as someone said, its between the 3rd and 4th bolt from the front on the transmission. I couldnt do anything with it though, so I put a mirror up the passenger side of the transmission and used a cellphone flashlight to find the grommet ,then with the mirror in place, i put my arm up the driver side and was able to get some pliers on the grommet to get it pulled. (I'm 6'1 205 with decent size forearms, so did get a little scratched) water flows like a champ, now, when the a/c is on. thanks for all the posts, hope this helps someone
Old 07-10-17, 08:36 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the drain plug in the same spot for the GS300? under the trans? Because this diagram says the plug is somewhere else, look:
The following users liked this post:
Farqui (07-11-17)
Old 07-18-17, 06:15 AM
Milonga
Rookie

I did this over the weekend and it was pretty easy and only used a regular plier. On my GS300 rwd the best way to reach it putting you arm up the passenger side where the linkage is at. After I located it, I got the plier up there and removed it. It looks just like the image posted in this thread. Unfortunately, I can't take out the carpet since it has been raining but I am leaving the windows open since I have roofed parking in my building and it had been drying pretty quickly.
Old 07-18-17, 07:08 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have spent 3 hours under my 2006 GS 430 and can not find the grommet... I also have an inspection camera and have looked everywhere the grommet could be and can not find it. I am also able to reach up on the passenger side by the tranny linkage with my hand and move it around but I only feel the sprayed foam that is above the tranny on the tunnel. Very frustrating... LOL. Is it forward of the linkage, which on the 430, is on the passenger side? Would it be dead center on top of the tranny tunnel? Very tight getting anything above on the drivers side... I also looked towards the rear, above where the exhaust curves around and found two bolts with what looks like a very small plug(smaller then a dime) between them. This will not pull out and may be something that is inserted on the carpet side. Please help me before I go nuts... LOL.
Old 07-18-17, 06:59 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I have spent 3 hours under my 2006 GS 430 and can not find the grommet... I also have an inspection camera and have looked everywhere the grommet could be and can not find it. I am also able to reach up on the passenger side by the tranny linkage with my hand and move it around but I only feel the sprayed foam that is above the tranny on the tunnel. Very frustrating... LOL. Is it forward of the linkage, which on the 430, is on the passenger side? Would it be dead center on top of the tranny tunnel? Very tight getting anything above on the drivers side... I also looked towards the rear, above where the exhaust curves around and found two bolts with what looks like a very small plug(smaller then a dime) between them. This will not pull out and may be something that is inserted on the carpet side. Please help me before I go nuts... LOL.
Alright, lets see if I can help you... At first I could not find it when I put my had up the passenger side but you have to move your hand forward a bit. If you feel the foam, you are on the right track just keep moving towards the center then forward. It is after you pass the foam but just a few cm after. It is there and when you poke it water should start dripping. Keep asking, I'll try to help you solve this and keep me update it if you got it.
Old 07-19-17, 06:38 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Thank you. I will attempt another grommet mission in a few days... My back is still messed up from the last attempt. Lol.
Old 07-19-17, 10:41 AM
Milonga
Rookie

Thank you. I will attempt another grommet mission in a few days... My back is still messed up from the last attempt. Lol.
My neck is the one that has been hurting for the last 3 days and always happens when I work under the car.
The following users liked this post:
XJSFan (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 12:28 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

It sucks getting old. LOL...
Old 07-19-17, 08:41 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Humm, this is interesting, ny car doesn't have problems with water getting inside, but, it wont hurt to clean u the drain.. will do this weekend.
Old 07-25-17, 07:14 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Going to make another attempt at removing the grommet on Thursday morning... My back is still sore from last time but I am committed to removing that sucker. LOL.
Old 07-25-17, 02:42 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Going to make another attempt at removing the grommet on Thursday morning... My back is still sore from last time but I am committed to removing that sucker. LOL.
Let us know your results.
Old 08-15-17, 01:13 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Found it with the inspection camera and was able to poke it with a heavy gauge metal rod that I slight bent at the end. Was able to open up the drain and water came out. Did not look like a grommet but a plugged up rubber opening. Good thing is it now drains.... Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: ***Easy Fix For The Clogged AC Drain***