GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Transmission Problem - 2006 GS300 RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 10:40 AM
Lanaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 - Transmission

Hey, I had kind of the similar situation in 2013 with my transmission. @118k miles I had to take my car in for the pistons recall (my car died on my twice), and at that time they told me that I needed a new transmission. After going through Lexus corporate and getting some assistance, I paid $3k out of pocket for a transmission. This was November 2013.

However, here is something new that has happened this week.

I got a call from my dealership informing me of a safety recall on my GS for a Potential Fuel Pressure sensor Leak. I dropped off my car to them for work on the recall. As soon as I pulled into the driveway, my check engine light, check vsc etc came on. They asked me whether I got gas and screwed in the cap properly. I did get gas and apparently didn't screw in the cap properly., which might be a cause for those lights. After they ran a diagnostic on my car, they told me that it showed code - P0751 for transmission replacement.

I am currently at 141k miles and they are telling me that I need a new transmission?! Unbelievable! I cannot believe this is actually even possible. Unless I got a real bad apple. 23k miles after a transmission replacement, my Lexus needs a new transmission?

I called Lexus Corporate and am awaiting for them to investigate this matter and let me know what to do. The price of this transmission replacement is $5,073.

I don't know what to do if Lexus won't cover this amount.
Old 02-12-16, 08:42 PM
peewhy
Driver

I have posted about this before in this tread i think but haven't drove the GS in a year or so. Well I have been reading up about the transmission problem and the error I have P0761 Solenoid C and P2714 Solenoid D. seems to be fairly simple to do but my only problem is trying to find the part number for Solenoid C and also the location a diagram of the lay out of the transmission I have a few imagines but need to the part number for C to figure out the location of it. Also the wire harness as for some have reported the AC condensation will drip on the harness and corrode the pins.. If anyone can help with the part number for C would be extremely helpful.
Old 03-19-16, 09:07 AM
moda50
Driver School Candidate

Hello

Just purchased 2006 GS300 RWD love it but the transmission seems to be hunting for gears at low speed almost feels like a thunk from time to time any suggestion on what this could be or what to look for.
Old 07-21-16, 10:07 AM
eBigRich
Driver School Candidate

Default Update? I have the same codes

Originally Posted by peewhy
I have posted about this before in this tread i think but haven't drove the GS in a year or so. Well I have been reading up about the transmission problem and the error I have P0761 Solenoid C and P2714 Solenoid D. seems to be fairly simple to do but my only problem is trying to find the part number for Solenoid C and also the location a diagram of the lay out of the transmission I have a few imagines but need to the part number for C to figure out the location of it. Also the wire harness as for some have reported the AC condensation will drip on the harness and corrode the pins.. If anyone can help with the part number for C would be extremely helpful.

Did you ever get your problem fixed?
Old 07-27-16, 05:57 PM
moda50
Driver School Candidate

Default GS300 trans

Originally Posted by eBigRich
Did you ever get your problem fixed?
I had it looked at by Lexus they told the trans is searching for gears at low speed.

The too said its normal but it drives me nuts and I disagree that it's normal.
Old 07-29-16, 11:50 AM
eBigRich
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moda50
I had it looked at by Lexus they told the trans is searching for gears at low speed.

The too said its normal but it drives me nuts and I disagree that it's normal.
so did you replace anything?
Old 11-15-16, 08:49 AM
mbsupport
Driver School Candidate

Hello friends,
I have lexus GS300 2011 and I have problems after transmission repair. I have fault code P0751 - Shift Solenoid "A" Performance or Stuck OFF.

Which solenoid is "A"? I want to change it. Thank you.

Regards!
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Problem - 2006 GS300 RWD-355036g.jpg  
Old 01-02-17, 09:19 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I seem to be having the same problem, revving high rpm 4,000 to get 60mph as well as the relatively violent jerk coming to a stop.

Does anybody know if these two issues stem from the same source??

Some people are saying its the ECU replacement which I figure I may be willing to do before the transmission replacement.

Very frustrating

Edit:

Went to a couple shops today, they say they get a lot of 3rd gen GS coming around with these issues. One said flat out I need a new ECU replacement (like some on CL have already said).

Another scanned and saw a couple solenoids were STUCK OFF so the solution may be transmission needing to be cleaned out and if that doesn't work, the Solenoids (~$300 each) should be replaced. I'm going to take it in tomorrow to get the transmission cleaned out first ($180) and if that doesn't work, will go to next step.

He also said the transmission is struggling to go into higher gears and its best to not drive much with this problem so if you guys have these symptoms, better to first get your transmission maint. done or have it done on time because most people don't get it done because of of the dipstick issue.

Check in with you guys soon.

Last edited by G Star; 01-03-17 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 01:45 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

My shop is recommending I get a used transmission off a GS for my (can't go above 3rd gear problem), total is gonna be $2500. Don't know if its worth sinking that into this car right now.

Looking for some guidance here, or I figure everyone already got rid of their GS. Maybe its time for me to move on to a new car instead.

Thoughts?
Old 01-11-17, 08:14 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
My shop is recommending I get a used transmission off a GS for my (can't go above 3rd gear problem), total is gonna be $2500. Don't know if its worth sinking that into this car right now.

Looking for some guidance here, or I figure everyone already got rid of their GS. Maybe its time for me to move on to a new car instead.

Thoughts?
Does $2500 = parts + labor, or is that just for the part?
Old 01-11-17, 11:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
Does $2500 = parts + labor, or is that just for the part?
$2500 for used transmission parts and labor. Problem is, not guaranteed to fix the issue but they guarantee the transmission.
Old 01-12-17, 03:52 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G Star
$2500 for used transmission parts and labor. Problem is, not guaranteed to fix the issue but they guarantee the transmission.
So best case, $2500 gets the car running properly; worst case, you waste $2500 on a tranny you don't need, and have to spend a further $1500 for a new ECU to get the car working properly. Damn, that is a dilemma! Did you ever replace the tranny fluid, or is it still running with the original fluid?
Old 01-17-17, 06:26 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My girlfriends' 2006 GS 300 RWD is having the same problem with the transmission. When she took it to the dealers they said it would cost $5K to replace. For all the posters who have this problem, are you completely changing the entire transmission or just replacing the solenoids for the transmission?
Old 01-17-17, 08:34 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vtp86
My girlfriends' 2006 GS 300 RWD is having the same problem with the transmission. When she took it to the dealers they said it would cost $5K to replace. For all the posters who have this problem, are you completely changing the entire transmission or just replacing the solenoids for the transmission?
Try doing two or three drain/fills of the tranny fluid and see if it improves after a thousand miles. Lexus says it's "lifetime" fluid, so most people never get it changed
Old 01-18-17, 04:55 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodium
Try doing two or three drain/fills of the tranny fluid and see if it improves after a thousand miles. Lexus says it's "lifetime" fluid, so most people never get it changed
I'll keep that in mind and let my girlfriend know. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem - 2006 GS300 RWD