GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I need your help! Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 07:45 PM
NYCGS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need your help! Please

Dec of 2011 I purchased a CPO 2008 GS350 AWD with 34K on the clock from a Lexus dealership. Everything seemed great expect that i noticed the front and back bumper has been painted. I can tell from the parking sensors (the rubber around the sensor was painted) and overspray in the wheel well. This made me wonder if anything else was painted.....Well guess what?? Half the car has been repainted! I went to my friends shop and he checked the paint depth of every panel, driver side front and back door was repainted as well as the the back panel. The edges on the doors are very rough and clear coat is peeling off the rear door. Passenger side door is rubbing against something inside the fender every time it is opened. Both headlights have condensation in them (which they promised to replace 3 months ago)This was was sold to me as a CPO! I have an appointment to bring the car in on saturday and show them all of this. I will be bringing in a paint meter to show them that the car has been repainted. The car fax is clean on the car which was presented at time of purchase, but there is physical proof that it has been in a wreck. This car should have never been Certified and the accident should have been brought to my attention before the purchase. If I keep the car, i will take a big hit when i sell it due to it being repainted and god knows what else. I would like them to buy the car back from me and pay off the balance i owe to Lexus Finance. What are my options?

Cliff notes
- car was sold as CPO
- car shows clean car fax but it has been repainted on the driver side
- It was sold to me as a non accident car which is False
- I want them to buy back the car
- What are my options?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-12, 09:01 PM
NYCGS350
Rookie

26 views and nothing?
Old 02-23-12, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you can check with them, but i don't think cpo means the car was never been in an accident.
Old 02-23-12, 09:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ your correct.

A car can be involved in an accident and still be CPO and backed. The requirements are that all vin tags must be present. If any panel is replaced it must be replaced with a OEM Spec panel and have the label to prove this. All vin #s must also match so they cant just take it off any old car.

The fact the car was painted doesnt mean it was in any accident. Its possible but may be hard to prove and still wouldnt warrant any case against the dealer unless there is frame damage. Car also could have been damaged on the lot. This is more common they any of us would like to know.

Im not sure what can be done now after having the car for 3 mos IMO its going to be hard to get them to do anything about the paint work. The parts that need to be fixed or replaced is another thing and are backed under the CPO if you went to another dealer.

Maybe run a current copy of carfax to double check. Worth a few dollars to double check that its accurate and if there were any changes/updates. Sometimes there is a delay and there are few occasions where its not reported.

Hope everything works out for you!
Old 02-23-12, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

correct, sometimes scratches on used car are too long (more than certain limit) and they repaint that panel. can also be under CPO
Old 02-24-12, 03:53 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it may not have been in an accident, like Henry said, it could have been some bad scratches.

how do you have physical proof other them reading the thickness of paint? You can determine that it was in an accident from that. Also its not up to the dealer to identify if it was in an accident or not, you should do the research on the car. If the carfax comes back clean how would the dealer know it was in an accident?

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 02-24-12 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 05:10 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Ya doesnt mean it was in an accident like everyone is saying but honestly I would try to return it and see if they would give you a deal on another one. The headlight condensation was promised to be fixed after I got the car I had to call and email Lexus, the general manager and evey higher up to get them both replaced it was a pain but it took about three and a half months to get it done, so dont think that promise will be kept,
Old 02-24-12, 05:43 AM
NYCGS350
Rookie

I think it is hit due to the passenger side door rubbing against something inside the fender every time the door is opened. If i was able to notice the ****ty paint job on the car i wonder how the dealership wasn't. I am worried about the hit I will take when selling the car. I purchased the car thinking it was not hit/repainted. If i knew that half the car was repainted I would not pay what i have.
Old 02-24-12, 11:00 AM
NYCGS350
Rookie

They have a similar GS350 on the lot, hopefully they can get me into this one

http://showroom.auction123.com/bay_r...3A0025378.html
Old 02-24-12, 11:33 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Ill point out again that even if it was in an accident:

A car can be involved in an accident and still be CPO
Im curious how did you miss this paint work when you purchased it? From your post it sounds like anyone would be able to pick up on this.
Old 02-24-12, 11:47 AM
NYCGS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
Ill point out again that even if it was in an accident:

Im curious how did you miss this paint work when you purchased it? From your post it sounds like anyone would be able to pick up on this.
I only noticed the clear coat peeling and checked the paint depth after the purchase, i was like a kid at toys-r-us and did not notice all the details. This is my first used car so i did not know what to look out for. Someone that I know is a finance manager at an Infiniti Dealership and just told me that a car can't be certified if its been in an accident. Not sure if Lexus follows the same guidelines. Bottom line is that i paid for a car that has not been repainted. If i knew it was repainted then the purchase price should of been lower.
Old 02-24-12, 12:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

This is all that Lexus has stated off their website:

HAND SELECTED

Not all pre-owned Lexus vehicles are worthy of the coveted Lexus Certified Pre-Owned designation—only the best. If a model is older than six years or driven for more than 70,000 miles, it's immediately rejected. No exceptions.
HISTORY CHECKED

For extra peace of mind, CARFAX® vehicle history reports are provided for every Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, helping you and your Lexus dealer identify potential problems that might otherwise be difficult to detect.
METICULOUSLY INSPECTED

Every Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle must pass a comprehensive 161-point inspection by a Lexus-trained technician. If any discovered flaws cannot be repaired to Lexus standards, the vehicle will simply not be certified.
THOROUGHLY RECONDITIONED

Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles must be in like-new condition. That means using only certified Lexus parts for any necessary mechanical repairs, performing paint and surface restorations to meet Lexus standards, and thoroughly cleaning and detailing each vehicle to bring out its true beauty.
CONFIDENTLY BACKED

Because every Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is thoroughly reconditioned and meticulously inspected, we can comfortably sell them with a Lexus three-year, 100,000 total vehicle mile limited warranty [1]. This, of course, is fully included in the purchase price.
NEW-VEHICLE FINANCING

Our strict certification standards eliminate the risks typically associated with financing pre-owned vehicles, allowing us to offer the same rates and terms normally reserved for our new vehicles.
LEXUS CUSTOMER-CARE BENEFITS

Those who acquire a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle also enjoy the perks of Lexus ownership, including 24-hour Roadside Assistance [2], trip interruption coverage and dealership amenities [3]. Your vehicle's first basic
Old 02-24-12, 12:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Reading up on the requirements for Infiniti I'm going to say your friend is wrong. I would bet they require the same as everyone else. If it has been in an accident the part must be replaced with a NEW OEM panel. It really boils down to the accident and many of these minor fender benders wont harm a car. If the panel can be fixed and doesnt require replacement this also meets CPO requirements. More cars have had some type of paint work then most are aware of. Heck new cars have had paint and/or body work before someone takes ownership. If I recall a dealer is allowed to have work done on a new car that is damaged from shipping or on their lot and not have to disclose if its under a certain dollar amount. I could be wrong but thought I recalled something about this.

You can always take it to another dealership for inspection or maybe the dealer your friend works for the Used Car Mgr can look the car over. This person will be able to tell if anything major has happened to the car.
Old 02-24-12, 01:04 PM
NYCGS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
Reading up on the requirements for Infiniti I'm going to say your friend is wrong. I would bet they require the same as everyone else. If it has been in an accident the part must be replaced with a NEW OEM panel. It really boils down to the accident and many of these minor fender benders wont harm a car. If the panel can be fixed and doesnt require replacement this also meets CPO requirements. More cars have had some type of paint work then most are aware of. Heck new cars have had paint and/or body work before someone takes ownership. If I recall a dealer is allowed to have work done on a new car that is damaged from shipping or on their lot and not have to disclose if its under a certain dollar amount. I could be wrong but thought I recalled something about this.

You can always take it to another dealership for inspection or maybe the dealer your friend works for the Used Car Mgr can look the car over. This person will be able to tell if anything major has happened to the car.
Thank you for taking your time out and helping me out, I have an appointment to bring in the car tomorrow, i will update once i find out what route they want to go
Old 02-25-12, 03:28 PM
NYCGS350
Rookie

Update********

I went to the dealership today and spoke to the used car manager Keith. I showed him an inspection summary that a body shop did on the car and found only the hood and trunk not painted. We went outside with his paint meter and measured every panel of the car, sure enough it has been repainted all around. He has offered to get me out of this car and into a similar CPO within the next 6 weeks, since they do not have any at the moment. If he is unable to find me a different car within that time frame, we will proceed with other measures of action. This is all in writing as well

Quick Reply: I need your help! Please