GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 03:23 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by guzzy92fs
Great writeup! Just to let you know, be careful when buying keys off ebay, I recently purchased an used smart key with a blank key insert, I validated the FCCID and IC to match my key with the one on ebay, but by my surprise the inside of the key was completely different, apparetely the seller swaped the outer shell with something else on the inside, my key was a TYPE 71 and the one I Received was type 74, so I ended up with a useless key! so be careful!!

BTW my original key was
FCC ID: HYQ14AAB
IC: 1551A-14AAB
Using Techstream I was able to add an additional key Series 71 (2007 GS450h) (same as my original) with same fcc and id after I "virginized" it.

Another key I got series 74 I could not program to ecu even after I virginized it. I think this fob is for later model GS and ecu series. (2008+)
Old 10-13-18, 02:39 PM
lexdallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Yes you can add used smart keys to your car

Yes you can add used smart keys to your car... must match all numbers at the corner on the inside chip (on top of the date). Well, start matching all the outside characteristics including the rear FCC ID Codes. Pay attention to that... some fobs looks the same, but inside chips are coded differently and will not work for your model and year... you have to ask the seller to show you pics of the chip to make sure it matches.
With the proper tools you can virginize (erase/renew) the used smart key and have it ready to program as a 2nd or spare key.
Immobilizer must be reset in case "All key lost" situation... all previous keys will be erased from the car's computer in this case.
I have done this several times in my cars.
Dealership business is to "sell new keys and new ECM's"... Not to deal with used keys and the reset process... so people end up paying a lot of money for that.
So please always keep a copy of your key in a safe place... Losing all your keys is a headache... but not the end of the world... there is always a solution for this situation... Do not panic!
Also, in case your car's computer needs replacement, there is a way to reprogram it so you can keep using your smart keys as usual. There are some "at your own risk" tutorials online to do that.

This is a great topic... and also soooo misunderstood.

Last edited by lexdallas; 10-13-18 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 08:43 PM
Xenith
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default links please

Originally Posted by lexdallas
Yes you can add used smart keys to your car... must match all numbers at the corner on the inside chip (on top of the date). Well, start matching all the outside characteristics including the rear FCC ID Codes. Pay attention to that... some fobs looks the same, but inside chips are coded differently and will not work for your model and year... you have to ask the seller to show you pics of the chip to make sure it matches.
With the proper tools you can virginize (erase/renew) the used smart key and have it ready to program as a 2nd or spare key.
Immobilizer must be reset in case "All key lost" situation... all previous keys will be erased from the car's computer in this case.
Dealership business is to "sell new keys and new ECM's"... Not to deal with used keys and the reset process... so people end up paying a lot of money for that.
So please always keep a copy of your key in a safe place... Losing all your keys is a headache... but not the end of the world... there is always a solution for this situation... Do not panic!
Also, in case your car's computer needs replacement, there is a way to reprogram it so you can keep using your smart keys as usual. There are some "at your own risk" tutorials online to do that.

links to the tutorials to let me know how
.I have just bought my second GS (i have a series one Gen one )the new one is a 450h
but it only came with one key .I have a source for another key and would love to see the tutorials
Old 06-08-20, 07:56 PM
Rizz67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Below is the procedure to erase all keys to start from scratch. This is the procedure using Toyota's Techstream. The person doing the erasure will need to have a valid "Security Professional" subscription to Toyota TIS in order to input the SEED NUMBER and obtain a PASSCODE NUMBER to perform the erasure.

After the keys are erased, then you can program as usual using procedure "A" as shown below.

(e) PROCEDURE "E"
All keys ID erasure

Process
Procedure

1. Start of erasure
1.Connect intelligent tester (with CAN VIM) to DLC3
2.Turn engine switch on (IG)
3.Turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less
4.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE RESET" from tester menu
5.Read "SEED NUMBER" sent from TIS according to tester screen

2. Erasure of ID code
Perform operation according to prompts on tester screen

3. End of erasure
Finish key ID code erasure

(a) PROCEDURE "A"
New key ID registration (when replacing certification ECU and ID code box, or certification ECU, ID code box and steering lock ECU), or when performing all keys ID erasure (key code reset):

Process
Procedure

1. Start of registration
3.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE REG" from tester menu
HINT:

Engine switch cannot be turned on (IG) more than 10 times. After connecting tester, turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less to continue key registration procedure.

2. Confirmation of ECU code
HINT:

Mode is automatically selected by tester, new registration mode or add more

3. Verification of unregistered key *1
1.Hold unregistered key close to engine switch
2.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)
3.Place unregistered key on front passenger side seat
4.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)

4. Registration of ID code

5. End of registration
Finish new key ID code registration

Locksmiths use different scanners that basically avoid having to have a TIS subscripton, or having to use a techstream. Toyota basically wishes they used these tools, as it is much faster, and easier to reset, and reprogram keys.
Can confirm this works to reset the SmartAccess to use previously programmed keys. Took a gamble since we had one working one. Used an Autel Mk808 device. It says you will need a password but nothing was ever prompted. After 16 minutes , system was reset, 2 keys programmed and off we go. Just wanted to respond if anyone is searching the interwebs for key reset and Autel devices
Old 06-29-20, 10:27 AM
oxus
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rizz67
Can confirm this works to reset the SmartAccess to use previously programmed keys. Took a gamble since we had one working one. Used an Autel Mk808 device. It says you will need a password but nothing was ever prompted. After 16 minutes , system was reset, 2 keys programmed and off we go. Just wanted to respond if anyone is searching the interwebs for key reset and Autel devices
So what do I need to program a used key? Techstream and Autel MK808? Is there a more comprehensive direction online you can point me to?
Old 06-29-20, 11:59 AM
Rizz67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oxus
So what do I need to program a used key? Techstream and Autel MK808? Is there a more comprehensive direction online you can point me to?

Just the Autel MK808. It will clear out all the keys and then you will reprogram the new and used keys together. No password needed. It would be nice to add a used key to an existing working key but that does not work.
Old 07-13-20, 03:34 AM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonn25
Using Techstream I was able to add an additional key Series 71 (2007 GS450h) (same as my original) with same fcc and id after I "virginized" it.

Another key I got series 74 I could not program to ecu even after I virginized it. I think this fob is for later model GS and ecu series. (2008+)
Can you explain how to "virginize" a key? I ordered a spare, but I'm not convinced it will be programmable when I get it. Thanks!
Old 08-17-23, 05:53 AM
davus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Below is the procedure to erase all keys to start from scratch. This is the procedure using Toyota's Techstream. The person doing the erasure will need to have a valid "Security Professional" subscription to Toyota TIS in order to input the SEED NUMBER and obtain a PASSCODE NUMBER to perform the erasure.

After the keys are erased, then you can program as usual using procedure "A" as shown below.

(e) PROCEDURE "E"
All keys ID erasure

Process
Procedure

1. Start of erasure
3.Turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less
4.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE RESET" from tester menu
5.Read "SEED NUMBER" sent from TIS according to tester screen

2. Erasure of ID code

3. End of erasure
Finish key ID code erasure

(a) PROCEDURE "A"
New key ID registration (when replacing certification ECU and ID code box, or certification ECU, ID code box and steering lock ECU), or when performing all keys ID erasure (key code reset):

Process
Procedure

1. Start of registration
3.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE REG" from tester menu
HINT:

Engine switch cannot be turned on (IG) more than 10 times. After connecting tester, turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less to continue key registration procedure.

2. Confirmation of ECU code
HINT:

Mode is automatically selected by tester, new registration mode or add more

3. Verification of unregistered key *1
1.Hold unregistered key close to engine switch
2.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)
3.Place unregistered key on front passenger side seat
4.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)

4. Registration of ID code

5. End of registration
Finish new key ID code registration

Locksmiths use different scanners that basically avoid having to have a TIS subscripton, or having to use a techstream. Toyota basically wishes they used these tools, as it is much faster, and easier to reset, and reprogram keys.
I wish this process worked in Australian cars!

but…..alas

Dave
Old 08-17-23, 07:12 PM
davus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexdallas

Are you able to help us understand how to virginise a used key?. Would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-23, 06:49 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

You need a special device to do it.

It is easier to buy a used or remanufactored one that has been erased already. For example on ebay
Old 08-21-23, 06:52 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Virginize means to erase the bond between the unique id of the fob transmitter chip and the ecu of the car it is currently paired to.

You need a special machine to do this, and they re not cheap.

Its easier to sell the key you have and buy another one. New keys are virgins, old keys can be erased to bring back to virgin state.
Old 08-28-23, 12:53 AM
davus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samsonn25
You need a special device to do it.

It is easier to buy a used or remanufactored one that has been erased already. For example on ebay
Thanks mate. I’d happily do that if I could find one that would work on Australias frequency…..which I believe is 314.3