RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stolen Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 05:21 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Stolen Keys

My keys were stolen today. What a drag! Fortunately, I have an additional master key for them to re-program it. However, my concern is that the person who stole my keys can still open the car doors, even though he cannot drive off with the car. A lot of damage can be done to the car.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 12-30-04, 08:02 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Be AWARE, that there is a huge difference between loosing a key vs. key being stolen. If it is stolen, please DO NOT park in the viscinity of the area where you think it was stolen. Keep in mind the only major reason to steal a key is to gain access and with the engine enable feature in Lexus keys, there is a potentail of some one driving away your car.

I am certain that a number of keys (new master key) can be programmed to be accepted by the ECU but I am not sure if they can be UN-programmed. I would urge you to go to the dealer to see if they can "un-program" the previous key/s. [This may be a moot point if you can reassure yourself that the key theif can not locate your car.] .... Times like this, you really wish the remote was not that strong.

PS> Check with your insurance if they would cover some of the cost of un-programming the ECU. You can have a brand new ECU installed but the price may run into low tripple digits.

Salim.
Old 12-30-04, 09:39 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the dealer has programmed your new key in place of the stolen one, you should be OK. The thief cannot disable the alarm since the stolen key is no longer in the rolling code database. So as soon as he opens the door (thru key cylinder,) the alarm will sound. You can have all five key cylinders and all four keys replaced. It will cost you though.

Hopefully we can start our future Lexus by fingerprint. Then again thieves will cut our fingers off.....
Old 12-31-04, 07:56 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
If the dealer has programmed your new key in place of the stolen one, you should be OK. The thief cannot disable the alarm since the stolen key is no longer in the rolling code database. So as soon as he opens the door (thru key cylinder,) the alarm will sound. You can have all five key cylinders and all four keys replaced. It will cost you though.

Hopefully we can start our future Lexus by fingerprint. Then again thieves will cut our fingers off.....
I need to understand this a little better ...

Here is the scenario.... no theft involved...
I have a pair of master keys [came with the car at time of purchase]. I keep one for safe keeping and have a duplicate made from one master. Locksmith/dealer registers the duplicate with the ECU. Would my original 2nd master become non-functional?

Salim.
Old 12-31-04, 12:58 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how could a key get stolen????
Old 01-01-05, 11:16 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I need to understand this a little better ...

Here is the scenario.... no theft involved...
I have a pair of master keys [came with the car at time of purchase]. I keep one for safe keeping and have a duplicate made from one master. Locksmith/dealer registers the duplicate with the ECU. Would my original 2nd master become non-functional?

Salim.
The ECU can keep 4 sets of rolling codes. Those are for the 2 master keys, one valet, and one wallet. So it depends on which key's code was replaced by the new master key.
Old 01-01-05, 11:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rx900
how could a key get stolen????
Easy. Back in my "good old days" in the "meat market," lots of guys like to leave their Lexus, BMW, Benz keys on the bar to "attract" potential mates. Anybody can easily swipe the keys away.

You never see Ford or Dodge keys on the bar.