GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

VAIS ML+ Issues/Bugs/Defects

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 04:06 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIS ML+ Issues/Bugs/Defects

I purchased a VAIS ML+ system and it is being installed tomorrow morning. My installer said that he sells more of the sl2ic because it is less expensive with many of the same features, and that he needs to service them less.

The money is not an issue for me, especially because I want the digital audio and I like the aesthetics of the interface a lot better, but has anybody needed to have their system serviced, and if so why?

*NOTE*
I think I may be making too big of a deal out of this (or maybe taking what he said the wrong way)... I spoke with them today, and he said I shouldn't be worried about the ML+ at all. Installed and it is awesome.

Last edited by Ashdaddy; 08-22-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 06:42 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try going on they're website and see the reviews. You can also contact rominl he has experience with it
Old 08-21-11, 07:50 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

I'd also like to know. I just bought one myself.
Old 08-21-11, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have done quite a few of both. to me i will only recommend ml+. the setup is much nicer and makes a lot more sense. in terms of usage i think the ml+ is much easier to use and much better interface.

i don't know what problems installer refers to but i see problems on both sides. they are equally new, and there were bugs to work through. but i can say all the ml+ i have installed, they are all working very well and smooth
Old 08-22-11, 03:27 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Installed... I love this system. Lexus should be talking to them and getting their act together. This is how the car should come from the factory. Plus, the sound quality is AMAZING

Last edited by Ashdaddy; 08-22-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 05:45 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Ordered mine yesterday for my conversion can't wait now!
Old 08-22-11, 06:03 PM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Congrats man, you're going to love it!
Old 08-22-11, 09:19 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

There are pros and cons of the ml+.

The best feature is the "iPod out" I have been waiting for so long to display foreign languages...

The most I still want from Vaistech is the A2DP Bluetooth music streaming... Although I have the ml+ but I add a Satechi Bluetooth FM transmitter just because I don't feel like to take out iPhone from my pocket everytime, open center armrest and plug it in with the fat-and-not-very-flexible Apple component cable, etc. Sometimes the convenience of the A2DP is really my preferable way to go even the sound is not as good but very close in my opinion.
Old 08-22-11, 11:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was among the first in this board to install the ML+ the week it came out. The first couple of months had some important software updates to process, however I did these myself without going to the installer. Ater that the system has pretty much been perfect. It is possible to cause your own problems if you start messing with your widescreen settings on the iPod, and also sometimes the iPod starts malfunctioning and needs to be reset, but the ML+ is pretty solid IMO. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-23-11, 02:12 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by memasterac
There are pros and cons of the ml+.

The best feature is the "iPod out" I have been waiting for so long to display foreign languages...

The most I still want from Vaistech is the A2DP Bluetooth music streaming... Although I have the ml+ but I add a Satechi Bluetooth FM transmitter just because I don't feel like to take out iPhone from my pocket everytime, open center armrest and plug it in with the fat-and-not-very-flexible Apple component cable, etc. Sometimes the convenience of the A2DP is really my preferable way to go even the sound is not as good but very close in my opinion.
How much better is satechi bluetooth fm transmitter compared to a conventional tape deck fm transmitter in sound quality. Ill be honest i bought one of the tape deck aux fm transmitter and the sound was so bad i had to dump that thing quick.
Old 08-23-11, 07:01 AM
Ashdaddy
Driver

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
How much better is satechi bluetooth fm transmitter compared to a conventional tape deck fm transmitter in sound quality. Ill be honest i bought one of the tape deck aux fm transmitter and the sound was so bad i had to dump that thing quick.
I have a Belkin bluetooth audio receiver in in my center console that plugs directly into my aux input. Useful if I just want to get in and go. Works great and the audio isnt bad at all. Not as good as the ML+ but pretty good. Only cost me $50 at the Apple store.
Old 08-23-11, 11:44 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I did not have experience with the tape deck FM transmitter but the Satechi sounds decent as far as a (Bluetooth) FM transmitter goes. No hiss sound due to the strong FM signal it produces and the station does not drop. This is a nice add on for 06-07 GS which do NOT have a 3.5mm aux-in.

Originally Posted by Ashdaddy
I have a Belkin bluetooth audio receiver in in my center console that plugs directly into my aux input. Useful if I just want to get in and go. Works great and the audio isnt bad at all. Not as good as the ML+ but pretty good. Only cost me $50 at the Apple store.
If my 07 has an aux-in I will go with Belkin or Blackberry Gateway or similar... but stupid Lexus.

Let me steer back to the original topic, the Vaistech ml+ has been reliable so far as well as the VML I had before. Just a few hicups but they went away with engine restars. I am waiting for the next firmware update that suppose to resolve the default screen goes back to MAP after the reverse gear.

I plugin my iPhone/iPod to ml+ for longer trips and it stays in the armrest storage, not my pocket. For short trips, I either use the Satechi Bluetooth FM transmitter or ml+ with USB memory (mp3 emulation mode) that is always plugged in.
Old 08-05-12, 02:39 PM
Ahzari
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
i have done quite a few of both. to me i will only recommend ml+. the setup is much nicer and makes a lot more sense. in terms of usage i think the ml+ is much easier to use and much better interface.

i don't know what problems installer refers to but i see problems on both sides. they are equally new, and there were bugs to work through. but i can say all the ml+ i have installed, they are all working very well and smooth
Hey rominl do you do installs for VAIS equipment in OC? noticed you said you've done "quite a few" I have a IS250 and may be upgrading from the SL2iC to the ML+ after the new iphone comes out (September-ish) to see how the new OS and hardware will fare with the ML+..

If you do installs do you have a shop? or have you just done a bunch for friends..