GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My conversion from Gen4 to Gen5 Nav and MP3 player

Old 03-24-12, 11:08 AM
BadLexy06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus Club and lots of questions

Benbuilt4u,

Hi! I'm so freakin' excited to see that this conversion actually worked out for you dude! I've got the old school Generation 4 GS300 and I so badly want the VAIS ML+ but of course, not compatible with my car. So, seriously contemplating this upgrade so I can have the Generation 5 Navigation. It's pretty pimp! I have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering lolol:

1. I see you bought several different parts to make this conversion work...can you confirm that this is all I need to make sure the generation 5 Navigation will work...I was the VAIS too!

Part number 86111-30A20 which comes with:
• 08 GS350 Navigation Head Unit
• 08 GS350 Navigation ECU (with blue wiring harness)
• 08 GS350 Screen
• 08 GS350 Radio

2. My kit comes standard without any wires, so do I need to buy any? If so, where? I saw you mentioned blue wiring for the ECU (back up camera) Also, is the ECU the same thing as a "TMPS ECU"?

3. Where did you find your wiring diagrams for the 06 GS300 to follow along with the GS350 configuration? My hubby will be doing the install with a friend and I just want to make sure everything goes well.

4. How do I go about getting my back up camera to work with the new install? Since I know you had the GS300 too, how did you get the plug and play to work with bypassing the one single cord that the GS350 now has...we've got some kind of "middle man" thing we've gotta work around lol

5. Also, I have the ML sound system. Will the above listed part number work for me or does it have to list ML on the radio?

Thank you so much for answering!! I look forward to hearing from you soon!!
Old 03-24-12, 05:09 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

electron, not yet. i got the wrong screen by mail (they sent me a non nav screen) but i have everything else sitting around.

no time and wrong screen. but i should have everything figured out. besides the back up camera, everything seems straight forward. just by passing the camera controller. benbuilt4u can correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-24-12, 07:36 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadLexy06
Benbuilt4u,

Hi! I'm so freakin' excited to see that this conversion actually worked out for you dude! I've got the old school Generation 4 GS300 and I so badly want the VAIS ML+ but of course, not compatible with my car. So, seriously contemplating this upgrade so I can have the Generation 5 Navigation. It's pretty pimp! I have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering lolol:

1. I see you bought several different parts to make this conversion work...can you confirm that this is all I need to make sure the generation 5 Navigation will work...I was the VAIS too!

Part number 86111-30A20 which comes with:
• 08 GS350 Navigation Head Unit
• 08 GS350 Navigation ECU (with blue wiring harness)
• 08 GS350 Screen
• 08 GS350 Radio

2. My kit comes standard without any wires, so do I need to buy any? If so, where? I saw you mentioned blue wiring for the ECU (back up camera) Also, is the ECU the same thing as a "TMPS ECU"?

3. Where did you find your wiring diagrams for the 06 GS300 to follow along with the GS350 configuration? My hubby will be doing the install with a friend and I just want to make sure everything goes well.

4. How do I go about getting my back up camera to work with the new install? Since I know you had the GS300 too, how did you get the plug and play to work with bypassing the one single cord that the GS350 now has...we've got some kind of "middle man" thing we've gotta work around lol

5. Also, I have the ML sound system. Will the above listed part number work for me or does it have to list ML on the radio?

Thank you so much for answering!! I look forward to hearing from you soon!!

your list looks good and yes you need the blue nav harness i made mine as the dealer wants 500 for it. backup camera can be repinned to main harness behind glove box. diagrams are difficult to find that are complete i used mostly alldata. all the gen5 5 will work with or without ML

Originally Posted by knshro13
electron, not yet. i got the wrong screen by mail (they sent me a non nav screen) but i have everything else sitting around.

no time and wrong screen. but i should have everything figured out. besides the back up camera, everything seems straight forward. just by passing the camera controller. benbuilt4u can correct me if im wrong.
yes camera was easy part LOL
Old 03-25-12, 11:26 AM
BadLexy06
Driver School Candidate

Default BlueWiring harness

You said you made a blue wiring harness cuz dealership was gonna charge you $500?! Smh, I don't even have the blue harness, I just know that's what you said we need...so million dollar question for me is how did you make the harness? Is alldata a website? Couldn't find...
Old 03-25-12, 11:28 AM
BadLexy06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
your list looks good and yes you need the blue nav harness i made mine as the dealer wants 500 for it. backup camera can be repinned to main harness behind glove box. diagrams are difficult to find that are complete i used mostly alldata. all the gen5 5 will work with or without ML

yes camera was easy part LOL
Can I buy the harness from toyota or something?? lol How do you make a harness?
Old 03-25-12, 06:11 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Making it was complicated. Buy from Lexus
Old 03-26-12, 11:07 AM
BadLexy06
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
Making it was complicated. Buy from Lexus
Okay...last question. Is there any complications that you ran into that would be good to know...like certain tools you needed, etc.? Also, how long did the setup take exactly? Did you take any pics while you were doing any of the work? Me and hubby are visual folks so the finished product is awesome, but just want to make sure that I don't need anything else...
Old 05-24-12, 03:59 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badlexy,

where did you buy your parts from?

i want to do the conversion and trying to figure out the best way to get the parts.

also question for everyone: i have the mark levinson system, which part of the gen 5 parts (if any) do i need to make sure are also ML?

i saw someone say it one part of the gen 5 didn't matter but not sure if that goes for all the parts including the ECU.

thanks!
Old 05-25-12, 06:31 AM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tucker21
badlexy,

where did you buy your parts from?

i want to do the conversion and trying to figure out the best way to get the parts.

also question for everyone: i have the mark levinson system, which part of the gen 5 parts (if any) do i need to make sure are also ML?

i saw someone say it one part of the gen 5 didn't matter but not sure if that goes for all the parts including the ECU.

thanks!

if you want MP3 then you will need a 07-09 ML dvd changer other wise the other parts dont matter
Old 06-19-13, 11:56 PM
jusjelli
Driver School Candidate

Default Gen 4 to Gen5 conversion

Hi benbuilt4u,
I too am keen for this conversion! I have already tried the following with no success and it would be nice if you cound provide some assistance:

Installed the gen 5 entire "nav screen/cd changer/nav ecu, from a 2008 GS into a 2006 GS both ML.
However when I connected it and started the engine, the screen booted up with the lexus logo then after a brief pause, it says audio not connected and the screen remained black.

My questions are:
1) Why did this happen and how do I go about to make it work?
2) Referring to the LIGHT blue port in the attached picture, the wire that connects into this port, where does it come from? the nav ecu behind glove box? the reverse camera?
3) I notice there are 2 ports on the back of the 06 nav ecu where as on the back of the 08 nav ecu, there are three. The wire that connects to this extra port, where does it come from?

Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails My conversion from Gen4 to Gen5 Nav and MP3 player-blue-port-circled.jpg  
Old 08-04-13, 02:26 AM
endleesss
Rookie

im also waiting for some answers
Old 03-30-14, 08:53 AM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

so if you have the ml gs300 its just plug and play?
Old 03-31-14, 04:09 PM
jusjelli
Driver School Candidate

no it isn't i tried and it didn't work for me.
Old 03-31-14, 07:38 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

well if thats the case ill be doing the conversion soon ,i did it to my jaguar x-type i put in a factory sat nav with voice bluetooth dvd movie play sirius , so now is my next task ,i read this thread great info ,once i get the cnponents ill do a step by step guide in layman terms
Old 03-31-14, 08:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

awesome verly, keep us updated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My conversion from Gen4 to Gen5 Nav and MP3 player