GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My conversion from Gen4 to Gen5 Nav and MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 01:49 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My conversion from Gen4 to Gen5 Nav and MP3 player

9/27/11 I Just finished hooking up factory reverse camera and installed nav ecu and harness a few days ago. everything works flawlessly i now have a COMPLETE GENERATION 5 conversion in my car. Even ML+ works flawlessly! well worth the money with a little searching its about the same cost as a good indash nav/dvd player setup! harness cutting and modification was necessary so going back would be quite a task.

PAST POSTS,

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! i now have GEN 5 SCREEN/MENUS/VAIS ML+/ all installed and working!!! i will post pics as soon as i get a decent camera my iphone is just making pics you can make out. now i just have to find an ipod with ios4 to use and im golden!!! next is getting nav working and its finished!!

original post

Ok well as we all know there is very little info on the conversion from Gen4 to Gen5. Things i read through in all my reading was the actual screen is the same and so is the resolution of the screen but the Gen4 headunit/HU does not provide for the higher resolution the screen can actually be. So i ordered a complete screen and Radio from a junkyard in CA out of a 2007 GS350. problem is when i got it it was just the HU with no screen attached!! So i figured id try anyway so i removed my radio and installed my screen on top of the newly purchased HU. Turned the car on and everything worked perfect! screen is much more clear everything moves faster. it even plays MP3 CD's. right now everything functions but i still have the old GEN4 NAV DVD in and i dont have a Gen 5 DVD to put in to try. according to the part#'s from lexus the NAV UNIT ECU is same part# till 2009. until i can get a NAV DVD to try im stuck with old nav. my main reason for the upgrade really wasnt for the nav since i rarely ever use it. but really to be able to use the newer VAIS ML+ which i should be able to use with the upgraded HU.

Just read a GEN5 DVD will work in a GEN4 car just need to find one now.

I wonder if i will need to get a GEN 5 NAV ECU to gain the black screen choice or if its on the DVD software update

*******UPDATE*******

***FIRST I NEED A PICTURE FROM A 07-09 GS350/460 with navigation the 3 plugs that go into the back of the display. clear pics of back top and bottom showing wire locations, so i can verify a few colors my diagrams are missing. thanks***

Ok got my 08 GS350 Nave screen in and combined that with my 07 GS350 Headunit. Now the hard part trying to fix the wiring!!! I need to get a gen5 nav ecu and the blue wrapped harness that runs from one to the other. also need a gen 5 DVD.

Right now im trying to fix the connectors k47 and k46. The 06 has K48 that connects directly to the screen. were as the 08 use the blank spots in the k46 to accomplish this. so ill just swap over those pins.

the trick is the 06 has a reverse camera ECU and the 08 has camera directly wired from v30 to the multi display. which according to the diagrams if i can find the connector i can bypass 06 camera ecu altogether. i will see what happens.

I also now know i can install navigation in any 06 non-nav car!!! with my stock parts and about 2 hours labor any 06 non nav car could have factory navigation. i will assume it would be touch screen only. since no voice commands but thats still pretty good!

Last edited by benbuilt4u; 09-27-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-17-11, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nice project

gen5 dvd works on gen4? that's interesting
Old 08-17-11, 02:14 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
nice project

gen5 dvd works on gen4? that's interesting
link from that post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...k-on-gen4.html
Old 08-17-11, 03:12 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Great news and thanks for posting.

Assuming you used the same type of head unit (ML or non ML?), and all the plugs were compatible? No problems swapping the old screen into the new unit? Good to hear the Nav disc unit doesn't need to be swapped either. Even factoring in the cost of a Gen5 nav disc, this is a doable project $ wise to get the sharper nav display and functionality of the newer units.

So with the Gen4 nav disc and the new head unit, you have the look of the Gen5 setup, but without the option for the black color display?

I am interested in this for the same reason you are - to use the Gen5 VAIS units.
Old 08-17-11, 03:44 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you change the nav piece in the glove box?
Old 08-17-11, 04:32 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twylie
Great news and thanks for posting.

Assuming you used the same type of head unit (ML or non ML?), and all the plugs were compatible? No problems swapping the old screen into the new unit? Good to hear the Nav disc unit doesn't need to be swapped either. Even factoring in the cost of a Gen5 nav disc, this is a doable project $ wise to get the sharper nav display and functionality of the newer units.

So with the Gen4 nav disc and the new head unit, you have the look of the Gen5 setup, but without the option for the black color display?

I am interested in this for the same reason you are - to use the Gen5 VAIS units.
i should have took pictures but i was so excited!! i did a exact swap a 06 ML Nav HU for a 07 ML nav head unit. the plugs were identical but not in the same order but yes it plug and play. the 07 head unit is all black casing and has a large fan on the back that the 06 did not have. i dont have black color display but the 4 colors i do have look so much better then before.

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
Did you change the nav piece in the glove box?

no i havnt since as far as i can tell is the same part # for 06-09 and the gen5 nav disc is known to work in it. so to me that means the hardware is the same. when i get a gen5 DVD i will see what if anything changes in the screen. but as of right now i have MP3 capability and DVD changer and the screen is so much crisper.
Old 08-17-11, 04:39 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this a ML Unit??? No issues with bluetooth or climate??
Old 08-17-11, 04:42 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did you pay for just the HU??
Old 08-17-11, 05:00 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u

no i havnt since as far as i can tell is the same part # for 06-09 and the gen5 nav disc is known to work in it. so to me that means the hardware is the same. when i get a gen5 DVD i will see what if anything changes in the screen. but as of right now i have MP3 capability and DVD changer and the screen is so much crisper.

Post pics of the new display please!

for being the first to try this
Old 08-17-11, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

when you said the head unit, do you mean the bottom part of the assembly that you pull out from the dash? i assume the upper part goes together with the screen?
Old 08-18-11, 07:42 AM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
when you said the head unit, do you mean the bottom part of the assembly that you pull out from the dash? i assume the upper part goes together with the screen?
yes this is correct.

does anyone with GEN5 can you tell me if it lists the song titles when playing a mp3 cd? it plays now for me but no titles
Old 08-18-11, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
yes this is correct.

does anyone with GEN5 can you tell me if it lists the song titles when playing a mp3 cd? it plays now for me but no titles
playing from my memory but i believe it does
Old 08-18-11, 09:33 AM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

i just ordered a screen from a 2008 GS350 so i can see if that makes the difference with the black screen option and the title info. also my hazard switch does not work so im hoping this fixes that aswell
Old 08-18-11, 11:05 AM
Dr. M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting info, will check back later for updates.
Old 08-18-11, 11:07 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the "bottom part" that doesn't actually have the screen on it was just the CD/Tape deck... it actually has the CPU in it?

Quick Reply: My conversion from Gen4 to Gen5 Nav and MP3 player