GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Smart Card Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 05:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Batman,

It looks like your ID's don't completely match. One ends in ABB the other in AAB. Do they not need to match exactly?
Yeah that's weird isn't it? I have always been told that they need to match perfectly. But mine are off and all 3 of my keys work.
Old 02-16-11, 07:13 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Why wouldn't you just return it?

I did some thread combing, and I found two '07 GS owners that had (successfully programmed) smart cards. So apparently it can be done. I sent them both PM's and will share any insights if I get any. I would still love to replace my fob with this card; one less thing to have to keep track of.
Since there have been so many returns I made a price deal so I wouldn't lose so much but they would accept, if that makes any sense. so in other words a made a deal to get it at a price in order to not return it.

Yes please keep me up to date with those who have accomplished this!
Old 02-17-11, 08:52 AM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can one purchase a smart card for a GS430 06'? Checked Sewell and didn't see it for the car and I don't have the part # to search specifically.

I lost one of my key fob's during a drunken tour of bars...if I had the smart card I woulda been fine, bah.
Old 02-17-11, 10:56 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
It's straight forward. The only time people had problems is when Sewell sent the wrong key. The FCC ID has to match. You can send Darrell your existing FCC ID from your current key to be sure. Also remember when you program a key, you should take all your keys in at once.
If I may, the first 4 sentences are incorrect. There's quite a bit of detail involving smart cards. We've been working with various smart cards for a while now and hope to have something useful to share shortly.

Darrel
Old 02-17-11, 11:23 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Long story short, they tried several times to program the card, but they couldn't get it to work. Fortunately Sewell gave me a refund. To be frank, they weren't much help beyond making the sale and providing the refund. This despite my efforts to get further instruction, arrange for a conference call between my dealership tech and theirs, etc.

A shame, really. If someone could get their @#$! together and establish a proper programming procedure, these things would probably fly off the shelf.
Chris - I can only imagine the only true help you could have received in this case would be for us to have your technicians successfully program the card. It's no help, but after your return, I removed the cards from our site.

This is what happens when we all try to make other accessories work on models to which they were never intended. All we can do is keep trying

Darrel
Old 03-03-11, 08:08 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sewell
If I may, the first 4 sentences are incorrect. There's quite a bit of detail involving smart cards. We've been working with various smart cards for a while now and hope to have something useful to share shortly.

Darrel
So is the mismatched FCC IDs the possible root of the issue with the smart access cards not working with the 08 IS-F or is that a matter of the car just not accepting smart access cards period?

As discussed in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ll-models.html

I want to buy one of these cards but as far as I know, that's not an option for an 08 IS-F. But that's according to the thread dated from a year ago... any new developments?
Old 03-03-11, 12:14 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Originally Posted by Fapout
... any new developments?
The 08 IS-F accepts the same smart card as used on the 06-08 IS250's.

Darrel
Old 03-03-11, 02:45 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Darrel
Any developments for 3GS owners?
Old 03-04-11, 11:54 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Any developments for 3GS owners?
Try not to lump the GS owners into just one group. It is only the 2006-2007 GS do we remain to experience difficulty. The 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 GS's Smart cards work just as they're expected.

There's a new phrase that needs to be introduced - similar to to the commonly expressed "FCC ID number". The phrase is "language code".

Open your key fob as if you were replacing your battery. Once opened, flip over the green computer board and see the 4 digit number located in the upper right hand corner. Chris, you should have a '0140' while other GS owners will see a 3370. It is this language code that must match - not necessarily the FCC ID number. Key fobs and smart cards amongst the various models will have different language codes. Some are different while some will be shared. In some cases, one fob may work for another as much as one smart card might be used for another (they're interchangeable in some cases).

Despite this, we still can't program a smart card to a 2006-2007 GS - at least not yet.

Key note: [currently] there is no method in identifying the language code from looking at the outside of a Smart card so for those of you attempting to obtain a card from another source (e.g. eBay) please be mindful of this information. By our count, there are 8 different Lexus Smart cards available.

Darrel
Old 03-04-11, 12:39 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

The 08 IS-F accepts the same smart card as used on the 06-08 IS250's.

Darrel
Thanks. I'm going to get one now. Any with the F logo available?
Old 03-04-11, 12:57 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fapout
Thanks. I'm going to get one now. Any with the F logo available?
Just ordered mine....
Old 03-04-11, 01:20 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys i have to agree with Darel.

I just check my original key FOB FCC # and Smart Key card FCC # they both don't match.

I successfully got the smart key card programmed at a local lexus dealership 3 years ago and it works flawlessly since day one.

Tom

Last edited by Lexus GS3; 03-06-11 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 01:23 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

[QUOTE=Sewell;6196077]Try not to lump the GS owners into just one group. It is only the 2006-2007 GS do we remain to experience difficulty. The 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 GS's Smart cards work just as they're expected.

There's a new phrase that needs to be introduced - similar to to the commonly expressed "FCC ID number". The phrase is "language code".

Open your key fob as if you were replacing your battery. Once opened, flip over the green computer board and see the 4 digit number located in the upper right hand corner. Chris, you should have a '0140' while other GS owners will see a 3370. It is this language code that must match - not necessarily the FCC ID number. Key fobs and smart cards amongst the various models will have different language codes. Some are different while some will be shared. In some cases, one fob may work for another as much as one smart card might be used for another (they're interchangeable in some cases).

Yep .... 0140 for me. Hopefully a "cure" will be discovered soon!
Old 06-03-11, 06:35 PM
NiftySVX
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I have an 07 GS 450h and I have already ordered the key from the part number listed on sewell's site for an 07 GS 450h. Will this key work? I don't know if I can return it.
Old 07-20-11, 01:01 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Despite this, we still can't program a smart card to a 2006-2007 GS - at least not yet.

Key note: [currently] there is no method in identifying the language code from looking at the outside of a Smart card so for those of you attempting to obtain a card from another source (e.g. eBay) please be mindful of this information. By our count, there are 8 different Lexus Smart cards available.
Darrel,

Any update on Smart Card compatibility for 2006-2007 GS's?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Smart Card Key Programming