GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 10:07 PM
autobacks
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!

Okay All,

Here they come!!! I think our GS's are not exempt from the acceleration problem!!!!!

Read below at several complaints that have been posted on the NHTSA site

This is a good source to look for complaints that have been registered.

What should we do all!!!!!?????

TL- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS 350. HE STATED THAT WHILE STARTING THE VEHICLE IT ACCELERATED TO 6 TO 7 THOUSAND RPMS WHILE HAVING IT ON DRIVE . HE THEN TURNED IT OFF AND THEN ON WHEN IT OCCURRED ONCE AGAIN WHEN IT REVERSED IT INTO BUSHES AND GAVE HIM A WHIPLASH . HE THEN CONTACTED THE DEALER AND THEY STATED THAT HE HAD TWO FLOOR MATS AND THATS WHAT CAUSED THE ACCELERATION ON THE VEHICLE. HE STATED THAT WHEN HE TOOK IT IN FOR MAINTENANCE THAT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO REMOVE THE MATS AND THEY DIDN'T. THERE HAVE BEEN NO REPAIRS DONE TO THE VEHICLE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 29006 AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 31000.CV

2007 LEXUS GS350 WITH UNINTENDED ACCELERATION. *KB THE CONSUMER STATED WHILE PULLING INTO A PARKING SPACE, THE VEHICLE TOOK OFF AND JUMPED THE CEMENT DIVIDER AND CURB. IT STOPPED ONLY WHEN IT RAMMED THE WALL. THE CONSUMERS FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE AND THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER WHERE IT WAS PURCHASED. AFTER INSPECTING THE VEHICLE TO ESTABLISH WHAT HAPPENED, THEY DETERMINED THAT THE VEHICLE WAS MECHANICALLY PERFECT. THE CONSUMER INDICATED THE POSSIBILITY OF THE FLOOR MAT SHIFTING, BUT THAT WAS REJECTED. THE CONSUMER NOW BELIEVES THE FLOOR MAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE PROBLEM AFTER ALL IN LIGHT OF THE RECENT RECALL. *JB

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. WHILE DRIVING 20 MPH IN HEAVY TRAFFIC THE VEHICLE STARTED TO ACCELERATE WITHOUT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BEING APPLIED. THE CONTACT CONFIRMED A FEW TIMES THAT THE ACCELERATOR WAS NOT ENGAGED. THEN THE CONTACT PRESSED THE BRAKES TO SLOW THE VEHICLE DOWN BUT THE VEHICLE CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE. THE CONTACT CRASHED INTO A VEHICLE AND THEN INTO A RESTAURANT. THE CONTACT WAS KNOCKED UNCONSCIOUS DUE TO THE CRASH AND DOES NOT REMEMBER ANYTHING AFTER THAT. THE CONTACT WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL AND SUSTAINED SOME CUTS AND BROKEN RIBS. THE VEHICLE WAS DESTROYED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 5,000. UPDATED 03/10/10

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO ENTER A PARKING SPACE, SHE EXPERIENCED UNINTENDED VEHICLE ACCELERATION, WHICH CAUSED HER TO CRASH INTO A WALL. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A DEALER, HOWEVER, THE TECHNICIANS COULD NOT IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURE. THE CONTACT IS CONCERNED THAT THE FLOOR-MAT INTERFERENCE CAUSED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO STICK. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 350 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 11,000.

2007 LEXUS GS350 SUDDEN ACCELERATION. THIS IS SIMILAR TO REPORTS ON FILE ON LEXUS 2007 ES350. THE GS350 WILL DRIVE AROUND IN PARKING LOT WITHOUT PRESSING ON GASOLINE PEDAL AT 12-15MPH. AT SPEEDS OF 40MPH A SLIGHT PRESSURE ON GAS PEDAL CAUSES ACCELERATION TO 50-60MPH. I AM FORCED TO DRIVE IT WITH TRIPTRONIC TRANSMISSION TO SLOW VEHICLE BECAUSE EXCESSIVE BRAKE PRESSURE REQUIRED TO STOP IT. THIS IN ON-GOING ISSUE. *TR

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. WHILE PARKED, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED AND CRASHED INTO A BRICK WALL, WITHOUT ANY PRESSURE TO THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. THE DEALER WAS UNABLE TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF FAILURE. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 4,000 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 200.

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE FLOOR MAT BECAME STUCK ON THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND CAUSED UNWANTED ACCELERATION. SHE NEARLY CRASHED THE VEHICLE. THE CONTACT DEPRESSED THE BRAKE PEDAL TO STOP THE VEHICLE. SHE WOULD LIKE TO FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE MATS SECURE AT ALL TIMES. THE VIN, ENGINE SIZE, AND NUMBER OF CYLINDERS WERE UNKNOWN. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 8,000 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 7,800.
Old 03-14-10, 10:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am concerned but not to much. I think many on this forum will ignore this. I will not because I have a pregnant wife and a baby on the way.

Its amazing how much the toyota image has been tarnished in the eyes of people who do not sit on CL all of the time. MAny of my patients have made negative comments in conversation and my staff keeps asking me about my Lexus. I will keep the ears open
Old 03-14-10, 10:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm betting your patients are believing all the media hype they hear on TV. I guarantee if they didn't watch all the media hysteria, they would not have any issues driving their cars period.

If it really bothers those to own and drive a Toyota product, sell it and get something else for piece of mind.
Old 03-14-10, 10:51 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look past it. Even with all the "reports" of the Toyota pedal issues, I'm still not convienced.

Some how my mind tells me that the government/media is out to get all the Japanese manufactures so that people would HAVE to turn back to the American manufactures. Why? The government wants to see the money from the bailout returned. Toyota's pedal problems, Honda's airbags, and Nissan's brake pedal on the larger SUVs.

I would like to see the actual reported dates of the incidents. Some of it was due to "floor mats," which I find it hard to believe as well. If the anchors are in place properly, then it shouldn't slide around.
Old 03-14-10, 11:13 PM
autobacks
Rookie

ek9vboi,

I like that...conspiracy theory! More malicious things have happened in our history. It could very well be that the gloves need to come off.....desperate times....desperate measures

The problem with a lot of companies these days (so not to single out Japanese companies) is that they are not handling these negative publicity things well...it always goes to deny deny deny as opposed to what we were taught in kindergarten which is to own up to your mistakes.......mostly it is due to potential litigation I suppose.

The whole Toyota thing could very well be over exaggerated however.........it turns out that that San Diego Prius incident just the other day may be bogus....that old guy was apparently in financial trouble and wanted to get out of his lease with Toyota.....he apparently had other items repo'ed like his boat etc...

I hope our cars are in fact exempt from this mess.....for all of our and our loved one's safety that is.........
Old 03-14-10, 11:29 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

That guy with the prius on the highway was ****in %100000000 bogus. You could just tell how he was talking on the video he is a bad lier. I actually seen that video at lexus service lounche and everyone was watching it carefully.
Old 03-14-10, 11:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what should we do???????!!!!!!

run for your lives !!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

YOU'RE GONNA DIEEEEE
Old 03-15-10, 12:15 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Make a mistake driving a Toyota these days? Blame it on the car.

I think people are having regular accidents and trying to get out of the blame like children.
Old 03-15-10, 04:35 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=334637

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
That guy with the prius on the highway was ****in %100000000 bogus. You could just tell how he was talking on the video he is a bad lier. I actually seen that video at lexus service lounche and everyone was watching it carefully.
"how" did you tell?

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Make a mistake driving a Toyota these days? Blame it on the car.

I think people are having regular accidents and trying to get out of the blame like children.
too many idiot drivers.

if it does happen, Neutral gear is your friend.
Old 03-15-10, 08:26 AM
DaBeast
Driver

Originally Posted by autobacks
Okay All,

Here they come!!! I think our GS's are not exempt from the acceleration problem!!!!!

Read below at several complaints that have been posted on the NHTSA site

This is a good source to look for complaints that have been registered.

TL- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS 350. HE STATED THAT WHILE STARTING THE VEHICLE IT ACCELERATED TO 6 TO 7 THOUSAND RPMS WHILE HAVING IT ON DRIVE . HE THEN TURNED IT OFF AND THEN ON WHEN IT OCCURRED ONCE AGAIN WHEN IT REVERSED IT INTO BUSHES AND GAVE HIM A WHIPLASH . HE THEN CONTACTED THE DEALER AND THEY STATED THAT HE HAD TWO FLOOR MATS AND THATS WHAT CAUSED THE ACCELERATION ON THE VEHICLE. HE STATED THAT WHEN HE TOOK IT IN FOR MAINTENANCE THAT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO REMOVE THE MATS AND THEY DIDN'T. THERE HAVE BEEN NO REPAIRS DONE TO THE VEHICLE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 29006 AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 31000.CV

2007 LEXUS GS350 WITH UNINTENDED ACCELERATION. *KB THE CONSUMER STATED WHILE PULLING INTO A PARKING SPACE, THE VEHICLE TOOK OFF AND JUMPED THE CEMENT DIVIDER AND CURB. IT STOPPED ONLY WHEN IT RAMMED THE WALL. THE CONSUMERS FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE AND THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER WHERE IT WAS PURCHASED. AFTER INSPECTING THE VEHICLE TO ESTABLISH WHAT HAPPENED, THEY DETERMINED THAT THE VEHICLE WAS MECHANICALLY PERFECT. THE CONSUMER INDICATED THE POSSIBILITY OF THE FLOOR MAT SHIFTING, BUT THAT WAS REJECTED. THE CONSUMER NOW BELIEVES THE FLOOR MAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE PROBLEM AFTER ALL IN LIGHT OF THE RECENT RECALL. *JB

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. WHILE DRIVING 20 MPH IN HEAVY TRAFFIC THE VEHICLE STARTED TO ACCELERATE WITHOUT THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BEING APPLIED. THE CONTACT CONFIRMED A FEW TIMES THAT THE ACCELERATOR WAS NOT ENGAGED. THEN THE CONTACT PRESSED THE BRAKES TO SLOW THE VEHICLE DOWN BUT THE VEHICLE CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE. THE CONTACT CRASHED INTO A VEHICLE AND THEN INTO A RESTAURANT. THE CONTACT WAS KNOCKED UNCONSCIOUS DUE TO THE CRASH AND DOES NOT REMEMBER ANYTHING AFTER THAT. THE CONTACT WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL AND SUSTAINED SOME CUTS AND BROKEN RIBS. THE VEHICLE WAS DESTROYED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 5,000. UPDATED 03/10/10

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO ENTER A PARKING SPACE, SHE EXPERIENCED UNINTENDED VEHICLE ACCELERATION, WHICH CAUSED HER TO CRASH INTO A WALL. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A DEALER, HOWEVER, THE TECHNICIANS COULD NOT IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURE. THE CONTACT IS CONCERNED THAT THE FLOOR-MAT INTERFERENCE CAUSED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO STICK. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 350 AND THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 11,000.

2007 LEXUS GS350 SUDDEN ACCELERATION. THIS IS SIMILAR TO REPORTS ON FILE ON LEXUS 2007 ES350. THE GS350 WILL DRIVE AROUND IN PARKING LOT WITHOUT PRESSING ON GASOLINE PEDAL AT 12-15MPH. AT SPEEDS OF 40MPH A SLIGHT PRESSURE ON GAS PEDAL CAUSES ACCELERATION TO 50-60MPH. I AM FORCED TO DRIVE IT WITH TRIPTRONIC TRANSMISSION TO SLOW VEHICLE BECAUSE EXCESSIVE BRAKE PRESSURE REQUIRED TO STOP IT. THIS IN ON-GOING ISSUE. *TR

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. WHILE PARKED, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED AND CRASHED INTO A BRICK WALL, WITHOUT ANY PRESSURE TO THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL. THE DEALER WAS UNABLE TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF FAILURE. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 4,000 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 200.

TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 LEXUS GS350. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE FLOOR MAT BECAME STUCK ON THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND CAUSED UNWANTED ACCELERATION. SHE NEARLY CRASHED THE VEHICLE. THE CONTACT DEPRESSED THE BRAKE PEDAL TO STOP THE VEHICLE. SHE WOULD LIKE TO FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE MATS SECURE AT ALL TIMES. THE VIN, ENGINE SIZE, AND NUMBER OF CYLINDERS WERE UNKNOWN. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 8,000 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 7,800.

Or they are stupid and just jump to conclusions about everything. BTW putting the car into Neutral fixes the problem right away!
Old 03-15-10, 11:57 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

FUD is always an effective marketing tool.
Old 03-15-10, 12:03 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seeing the news about the Lexus floormat incident and shaking my head thinking how could the person have not tried this and not tried that?

I had an incident with my GS recently that I'm not sure what to do with. I know now that panic, even on a small scale, can be difficult to fully account for. I also know it's a damn good thing that I had seen the instruction to first put the car in neutral. I can't sit here today and say I'm 100% sure what I would have done.

I backed my GS onto a recently painted garage floor. To prevent paint from sticking to the tires and pulling off the floor, I got out and put cardboard disks in front of each tire. I got back in to roll the car forward a foot or so. When the back tires got on the cardboard, I guess the traction control system had a complete flip out. The cardboard shot out and hit the back wall of the garage and the engine was revved up and the back tires were spinning even though I had both feet on the brake pedal. I nearly crapped my pants. Partly because of the fairly recent news, I gathered myself and shifted into neutral. The engine was at about 3,000 RPM. I killed it and searched the floor for my heart.

Just a small taste of what someone would go through in an incident at high-speed and in traffic. I felt it gave me some perspective.

I don't know what to do with it. I suspect it may not be repeatable...some perfect confluence of parameters and circumstances.

Last edited by drpepper; 03-15-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 12:06 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I smell BS...The car came out in 05, for 5 years there were no reports of such problems. And now all of a sudden GS has acceleration problem?
Old 03-15-10, 12:14 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by autobacks
Okay All,

Sell me your POS Lexus ...

Ill give you $5000 for it now! .... before it runs away and hits a bus load of kids.
Old 03-15-10, 12:16 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do we see more complaints with the Americans?? Seems to me that many americans are dumb and not educated on how to shift cars into neutral nor how to drive a manual, or even check that their floormats are fastened. Anyone agree with me???? I am an american but at least me and majority on this board are more educated in how to control our cars. Right?

Quick Reply: Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!