GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Drivers Door Hard to Close?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 12:48 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ have you seen any pics of me? I'm sure its my fault due to my weight
Haha good one, i hope it all goes well.
Old 08-07-10, 01:16 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ have you seen any pics of me? I'm sure its my fault due to my weight
Do you use the door like a handrail to get in and out of the car or something?
Old 08-07-10, 04:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I was j/k. I will find out when I go back if they can determine why the went bad. Its only the driver door so my guess is they just wore out?
Old 08-07-10, 07:45 PM
enigmaos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many 3GS members have experienced this problem?
Old 08-07-10, 10:19 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just noticed this in my right rear passenger door. since the door rarely is used, I don't really know how long it has been effected.
Old 08-08-10, 04:11 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple of months back i was just about to pull the trigger on a 2010 GS350, I checked the car over before taking delivery in their Delivery area and I close all the doors with a gentle nudge using 2 fingers and all the doors closed fine except the driver door. I was puzzled and started looking at this door in more detail. I had to give it almost a light slam to be able to close the door, i don't like slamming a car whats the point if you own a Lexus, its a not a domestic brand. Anyways, after making some comments, the dealer said they would get a tech to check out the door - results is they said "They greased the hinged and but it will still require more force than the other doors". I'm not too happy so I said well, I'm not going to buy over this and there are a few little things about the car.. They called another tech and said they checked out the door assembly and the Seals on the door was thicker because the driver door is more used and needs more cushion.. I thought.. WTH, thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard unless it true.. LOL Ofcourse, I didn't believe this B.S. and told them, i'll think about it. the car had only 19 miles on it. It had a few minor issues, (some of the surface of the paint look like they wash the car with a dish-pan sponge and the bottom edge of the bumper looked like it bottomed out somewhere and was noticeable standing in front of the car so i walked.. Anyways, they obviously know something about the door but refuse to fully remedy the issue - telling me excuses and that I should buy the car and the door WILL loosen up.. is not an acceptable way to sell a brand new car..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 08-08-10 at 04:16 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-08-10, 05:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All I can say is it just went dead one day. My car has never been hit or in any accident. At first I did think it just needed grease but the more I opened and closed it that week it just felt dead and like it had pressure to it? I dealt with it for months and finally stopped at the dealer and they first thought it was something else and then found out it was the hinges.

1QWQGS4 - Have you heard of this problem with the 2gen? I thought I had read this or had a local tell me about this? IMO the fit and finish is better in the 2gen GS. I have helped a few locals out installing stereo equipment or other parts inside and its night and day different from my GS. I really like how the car looks lowered and done up. My biggest complaint is the rattles especially when its cold outside. Other then this I have had no issues with my car.
Old 04-12-14, 07:25 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Bumping an old thread. 2006 GS430 with 83k miles. This just happened to my car today. Rear passenger door. Totally out of nowhere. No accidents. I haven't hit anything. The door just died. It won't open or close without an excessive amount of force. I'll take it in this week. My car is still CPO so I assume this is covered. I'll report back with the outcome.

Anyone else experience this issue recently?

e
Old 04-12-14, 08:01 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Just read this. If the hinges are excluded, that will be very disappointing. I get the fact that technically it's a body part, but jeez, in order for me and my passengers to use my car, we need to be able to get in it. Why on earth would hinges that allow the door to function be excluded?

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.
Old 04-13-14, 04:43 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Now I have to worry about door hinges too? Man, I didn't even worry about the door hinges on my first car which was an incredibly crappy Ford Taurus.
Old 04-13-14, 04:51 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Now I have to worry about door hinges too? Man, I didn't even worry about the door hinges on my first car which was an incredibly crappy Ford Taurus.
I feel exactly the same way. I'm 46, my wife is 44, and we've owned many cars over the years. My last car, a 99 GS400, was 13 years old when I traded it in. The doors opened and closed like the day I got her.

I understand that things wear out and/or rust over time. Here's the thing that irks me. I rarely use the back seat. I drive myself to and from work every day, and the only use the back doors see is on the weekends with my kids. However, that being said, we rarely use my car over the weekend as my wife has an SUV and that's our family car.

I'm going to ask Lexus to cover it even though it's excluded. I'll even offer to buy the part if they will install it for me. I don't even care if it's not painted silver to match my car. Let it be black. Who cares as it's hidden inside the door jam. If they won't cover it, that's fine too, but I will be very wary in the future of buying a CPO car.

And I'm sure there are those out there who will say, "Hey dude, it was right there in black and white that hinges were excluded." You're right. You're absolutely right. But (a) I didn't read the warranty before I bought the car (shame on me); and (b) after doing some research, I've found that MANY people are experiencing this problem at about the same time as me, which really makes me wonder whether that specific exclusion is in there for a reason (and, if my hunch is right, then shame on Lexus for not correcting the issue with the hinges in the first place as opposed to disclaiming it from the CPO warranty).

e
Old 04-13-14, 04:56 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol... i know... im getting ultzers reading this forum.... my car drives great and I love it, but reading all these posts is making me depressed. I think I will stop visiting so often.
Old 01-30-17, 12:09 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I drilled holes in my hinges as a member in another post suggested. The theory is the hinge is either dirty or non lubricated. After I drilled the holes in each upper and lower hinge i cleaned them with brake cleaner, than sprayed it with White Lithium grease. It is now much easier to open and close now, probably 90-95% what it should be. Before this it was impossible to close the door unless you slam it within 2 inches.