GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wheels or Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 04:23 PM
Amgenlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ice, what kits are you considering? Full bumper replacements or lip kits? For bumper replacements I do like the ones by Job Design (Difference) and another by Admiration (Ricercato). Problem is that they both are insanely pricey. Also both would require replacement foglights too. I want a kit now, but looking for something subtle. I'm on a continuing search as you will I'm sure. I did wheels first and then HKS coilovers. The wheels are coming in about 4 weeks from Work. Hopefully after the wheels and the drop I can be content. I just don't like the '07 front bumpers. An '08 conversion as you had mention is a great idea if doable for a good price. I'm interested to see what kit you decide on should you take this route.
Old 10-04-09, 07:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Amgenlee
Ice, what kits are you considering? Full bumper replacements or lip kits? For bumper replacements I do like the ones by Job Design (Difference) and another by Admiration (Ricercato). Problem is that they both are insanely pricey. Also both would require replacement foglights too. I want a kit now, but looking for something subtle. I'm on a continuing search as you will I'm sure. I did wheels first and then HKS coilovers. The wheels are coming in about 4 weeks from Work. Hopefully after the wheels and the drop I can be content. I just don't like the '07 front bumpers. An '08 conversion as you had mention is a great idea if doable for a good price. I'm interested to see what kit you decide on should you take this route.
Same here, don't like the bumper.
I like the 08 bumper but not the 08 grill or I would have done the conversion.
Old 10-04-09, 09:23 PM
hierohead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
No, that's not true.
I am interested in a kit ONLY because I am a modder at heart.....but I really don't want one. They change the car but are a pain in the butt. Great for garage queens and weekend warriors but too much drama for daily driving. I want to drive, bob and weave, put my foot in it sometimes, take curves in a haste......not look out for every curb and dip....watching out for that parking cement thingy. I've been there before and I'm not feeling it.
Plus, I really believe the 3GS does not need a kit. It has a tall body. A kit makes it even taller taking away any sleekness the car has.
I may still get one some day when the car is no longer a daily....if I have it that long. WHeels do more of what I am looking for. 5 spokes have that bold and expressive presense when they are turning and even when they are sitting still. Those big spokes really pick up the eye. You're drawn to them.
I'm too cheap to do both at the same time so it's one or the other.

I know what I'm going to do.
I totally agree with you. The 3GS looks great without a kit. In fact, I was contemplating the same thing - I ended up getting the wheels first (thanks to your advice actually - thx) and did a drop with coilovers. After that was done, it didnt need a kit, it looked perfect. It is already a pain (this is my DD also) watching for dips and whatnot. In LA the streets are terrible, and when I had the IS loaner from the dealer, I realized I missed being able to just jam, weave in traffic, not worry about speed bumps or those dips at every intersection... oh well, I guess thats the price of looking good...
Old 10-05-09, 01:20 PM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my kit hugs the body and makes it look clean and it follows all the body lines... but then again its a kit that lexus made for the car!!
Old 10-05-09, 03:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LMNis250
my kit hugs the body and makes it look clean and it follows all the body lines... but then again its a kit that lexus made for the car!!
You still have to watch curbs, dips and other problems that someone without a kit can ignore. There is a price for looking good.
Old 10-07-09, 11:37 AM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of a kit, or wheels u need to drive carefully. my kit requires very little maintenance, I drive up to bump stops and speed bumps with no problems . I'm low though and that's why I have to be careful
Old 10-07-09, 11:56 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kit......!!!!!
Old 10-07-09, 03:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I've decided. I've placed my order for new wheels. Can't wait to get them. I'm gonna miss the Work T1S though. They are very popular and have incredible street cred. There is a T1S thread on G35Driver I joined and you guys should see the fabulous pics in that thread. SO it's a little hard to let go of a wheel that served me well and has the props.

Thanks to you guys I will probably do the kit as well. Not crazy about it but modding is in the blood and you all know how we do.....we can't help ourselves.
Old 10-07-09, 08:00 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what wheels are you getting............ never mind Im sure your not going to tell until there on the car.

can't wait to see though.