GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Tires Needed - Runflats or Regular?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 04:55 PM
LeXgs35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires Needed - Runflats or Regular?

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 GS350 AWD w/ close to 39,000 miles on it. MY TPMS lights went off telling me I had Low Tire Pressure. I realized my right passenger side tire was low, so I took it to a gas station and filled it up with air, only to have the same problem occur a few days later.

After visiting a local Firestone, I was told I had a nail in the tire, which I also saw myself. After looking at my other tires, the inner treads are completely worn down to a solid rubber state.

So my question is, should I go for the regular Dunlop runflats I have on....which are nearly $272 per tire, or switch to non-runflat Michelin/Pirelli/Bridgestone tires?

I've heard ride quality improves with non-runflat tires.
Old 07-21-09, 05:24 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would never put run-flats on anything.. they ride like hell
Old 07-21-09, 05:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

same here, never ever any runflats on my cars. at lesat over the past few yrs, they all suck
Old 07-21-09, 05:47 PM
LeXgs35
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I was thinking it was unnecessary also...my ride quality has been decent with them on, but I don't think I need to go with them again.

I was thinking of going with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

..Or Pirelli's.

I'm not sure at this point.
Old 07-21-09, 06:33 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

take a look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole position. I love the ride of these wheels and the cost. My stocks were the Michelin Sport PS2 and those are great tires but way expensive. The potenza is an excellent tire IMO and has good reviews. Go to Tirerack.com and look at the reviews their.

RG
Old 07-21-09, 06:40 PM
LeXgs35
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses!

See, the problem is I'm looking for ultra-high performance all-season tires, because I have the All Wheel Drive GS...and with the snowfall we get here on the East Coast, it's a must have.
Old 07-21-09, 06:42 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Pirelli's!?
Just buy some bridgestones.
Old 07-21-09, 06:42 PM
LeXgs35
Driver School Candidate

Actually nevermind, the tires you mentioned are all-season and at $180/tire, it's not bad I suppose.
Old 07-21-09, 08:48 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
take a look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole position. I love the ride of these wheels and the cost. My stocks were the Michelin Sport PS2 and those are great tires but way expensive. The potenza is an excellent tire IMO and has good reviews. Go to Tirerack.com and look at the reviews their.

RG
I've had these on my car for 3 months now. Like the handling, but the noise is a bit excessive.
Old 07-21-09, 09:23 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
I've had these on my car for 3 months now. Like the handling, but the noise is a bit excessive.
Really, I don't have any excessive noise in fact they had high rating in reduced noise compared to some of the other tires that is one reason I chose these. I wonder what other BP RE960 owners experience has been.
Old 07-21-09, 09:25 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeXgs35

See, the problem is I'm looking for ultra-high performance all-season tires, because I have the All Wheel Drive GS...and with the snowfall we get here on the East Coast, it's a must have.
The potenzas are a UHPAS Tire!
Old 07-22-09, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXgs35

Read the tire rack review on Good Year eagle F1 all season, they are rated near the top in snow traction.
Old 07-22-09, 06:52 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexgs35, let me tell you the experience i had for the past 3 months with purchasing a new set of tires so that way you will get the heads up. I had some Kumho ( forgot what model ) and they were wearing out so i decided to buy a set of directional Falken Azenis tires because of the performance and lip cover on the tires. After getting the tires install by Discount tires...i notice that my car was pulling to the right after about 6-7 seconds on the road. Brought the tires back to Discount tire and told them about the pull...they assure me it was my alignment. I took my car to dealer to get alignment spent $125 and the problem was still there...dealer told me it was my directional tires. I than went to an independent Lexus dealer ( Davenport ) and they were nice enough to check it out and said it was not my alignment also...so i went back to Discount tire and told them what happen...they still insist that its not the tires and said that we sell directional tires every day and never had an issue like this and left me in the dark. After riding on these tires for about 2 months i finally got so annoy driving it and it keeps drifting that i had to get this issue resolve. I heard about this other place call Lexutech and brought the car in...i met the most nicest tech and he assure me he will resolve my issue. He test drove the car and than told me that it was pulling to the right after 6-7 seconds so he took off the two front tires and switch them and the car pulls to the left afterward...problem resolve because it was the damn tires. He stated in the paperwork to Discount tires that it's the tires that are causing the pull....he didn't even charge me a penny for almost 2 hour of his work...i offer to pay him but told me just come back next time....wow now that was really nice of him...found out thru another tech later there that my tech was the owner of the shop...LOL...never acted like the owner at all. To shorten this story...i went back and gave hell to Discount tires and credit me back my money and i got a set of Yokohoma YK520. My car STOP pulling now and the ride is so quiet...SORRY ABOUT MY LONG STORY !!! just had to get it off my chest after this ordeal.

Last edited by thomastan; 07-22-09 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 03:17 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thomastan
Lexgs35, let me tell you the experience i had for the past 3 months with purchasing a new set of tires so that way you will get the heads up. I had some Kumho ( forgot what model ) and they were wearing out so i decided to buy a set of directional Falken Azenis tires because of the performance and lip cover on the tires. After getting the tires install by Discount tires...i notice that my car was pulling to the right after about 6-7 seconds on the road. Brought the tires back to Discount tire and told them about the pull...they assure me it was my alignment. I took my car to dealer to get alignment spent $125 and the problem was still there...dealer told me it was my directional tires. I than went to an independent Lexus dealer ( Davenport ) and they were nice enough to check it out and said it was not my alignment also...so i went back to Discount tire and told them what happen...they still insist that its not the tires and said that we sell directional tires every day and never had an issue like this and left me in the dark. After riding on these tires for about 2 months i finally got so annoy driving it and it keeps drifting that i had to get this issue resolve. I heard about this other place call Lexutech and brought the car in...i met the most nicest tech and he assure me he will resolve my issue. He test drove the car and than told me that it was pulling to the right after 6-7 seconds so he took off the two front tires and switch them and the car pulls to the left afterward...problem resolve because it was the damn tires. He stated in the paperwork to Discount tires that it's the tires that are causing the pull....he didn't even charge me a penny for almost 2 hour of his work...i offer to pay him but told me just come back next time....wow now that was really nice of him...found out thru another tech later there that my tech was the owner of the shop...LOL...never acted like the owner at all. To shorten this story...i went back and gave hell to Discount tires and credit me back my money and i got a set of Yokohoma YK520. My car STOP pulling now and the ride is so quiet...SORRY ABOUT MY LONG STORY !!! just had to get it off my chest after this ordeal.

LOL, thanks for sharing Nice of you to give props to that tech who turned out to be the Owner, cool.
Old 07-22-09, 05:32 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

I changed runflats to Goodyear F1s (summer set). Great handling, lots of steering input but not much different noise-wise from runflats... Overall I like them.

Quick Reply: New Tires Needed - Runflats or Regular?