GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

maintaining 450h traction battery level at 100%?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 11:19 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default maintaining 450h traction battery level at 100%?

for those of you fortunate to own a 450h, how do you maintain the traction battery at 100%? the best i've been able to do is approx 95% (1 bar less from fully charged), but it only lasts momentarily. my usual traction battery level, on average, is at the 75% level.

on days where it is bumper to bumper traffic and it is crawling at a snail's pace, the traction battery can drop all the way down to 1 bar. good thing is that after approx 5-10 min of driving, the battery does get charged back up fairly quickly to the 75% level or higher.

your thoughts and comments appreciated!
Old 05-07-09, 11:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
for those of you fortunate to own a 450h, how do you maintain the traction battery at 100%? the best i've been able to do is approx 95% (1 bar less from fully charged), but it only lasts momentarily. my usual traction battery level, on average, is at the 75% level.

on days where it is bumper to bumper traffic and it is crawling at a snail's pace, the traction battery can drop all the way down to 1 bar. good thing is that after approx 5-10 min of driving, the battery does get charged back up fairly quickly to the 75% level or higher.

your thoughts and comments appreciated!

Well I'm an "h" newb but I cant get it to 100% either. I have also noticed driving around in traffic bumper to bumper depletes the battery. The good thing is it seems it doesn't take much to charge it back up between braking/coasting.

On a side note my father was in his yard doing yardwork and I literally pulled right next to him where he nearly jumped. "I didn't even hear you".

So he has named the car "the silent assasin"
Old 05-07-09, 12:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I'm an "h" newb but I cant get it to 100% either. I have also noticed driving around in traffic bumper to bumper depletes the battery. The good thing is it seems it doesn't take much to charge it back up between braking/coasting.

On a side note my father was in his yard doing yardwork and I literally pulled right next to him where he nearly jumped. "I didn't even hear you".

So he has named the car "the silent assasin"
LOL! anyways, i'm glad i'm not the only one who can't get 100%. i wonder if it is realistically possible?
Old 05-07-09, 12:33 PM
LexFather

^^ Not sure but I'm going to try now and take pics of the power gauge
Old 05-07-09, 04:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does it make a difference better for the battery life or better for anything
Old 05-07-09, 04:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah you shouldn't have to worry about it. i guess if you are cruising at 60mph for 100s of miles you will probably charge up the battery. i have done that before in my rx400h loaner when driving freeways
Old 05-07-09, 04:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
does it make a difference better for the battery life or better for anything
at full (or near full) capacity, the hybrid power is significantly stronger than if the battery was at low capacity. this translates to better off the line performance. full capacity battery just means you have peak performance at all times.

it should makes no difference for battery life; the hybrid powertrain and battery has a 8 yr factory warranty, not something i would worry about.
Old 05-07-09, 04:48 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only seen 100% 2 times. Both of which involved steep downhill portioned where I used the first few cm of the break pedal to keep my speed down. Remember that once you see the regen gauge stop going into the blue you are now using the hydraulic brakes. I have heard that revving the car in either P or N (only one will let you rev but I can't remember which) can also charge the battery.

But you are correct in that the hybrid system can do some crazy things when at full charge. For instance I've seen the provide full electric propulsion at speeds of around 65-70 on 0-1 degree inclines. I think one key to getting the car faster is keeping the battery full.

Also, I've found cruising on the highway to be the best way to quickly charge the batter from 1-6 bars (total of 8). Keep in mind though that trying to keep the 8 bars up is bad for the fuel economy. I've gotten the point that when you hit the brake pedal, the kW gauge doesn't even dip into the green.

I would REALLY like to know of a way to quickly charge the battery. I could see more stupid faces on mustang drivers then!

Last edited by lucasb7; 05-07-09 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 08:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I have only seen 100% 2 times. Both of which involved steep downhill portioned where I used the first few cm of the break pedal to keep my speed down. Remember that once you see the regen gauge stop going into the blue you are now using the hydraulic brakes. I have heard that revving the car in either P or N (only one will let you rev but I can't remember which) can also charge the battery.

But you are correct in that the hybrid system can do some crazy things when at full charge. For instance I've seen the provide full electric propulsion at speeds of around 65-70 on 0-1 degree inclines. I think one key to getting the car faster is keeping the battery full.

Also, I've found cruising on the highway to be the best way to quickly charge the batter from 1-6 bars (total of 8). Keep in mind though that trying to keep the 8 bars up is bad for the fuel economy. I've gotten the point that when you hit the brake pedal, the kW gauge doesn't even dip into the green.

I would REALLY like to know of a way to quickly charge the battery. I could see more stupid faces on mustang drivers then!
yeah, i thought it was you that mentioned about the 100% battery, but wasn't sure.

thx for the tip about the revving. i will try that next time and see if that works. unfortunately for me, i work less than 10 minutes away by car, so there's not much driving distance to regenerate the battery to get to full capacity.
Old 05-08-09, 06:41 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yeah, i thought it was you that mentioned about the 100% battery, but wasn't sure.

thx for the tip about the revving. i will try that next time and see if that works. unfortunately for me, i work less than 10 minutes away by car, so there's not much driving distance to regenerate the battery to get to full capacity.
I too work 10 minutes from work so I rarely see full capacity. But I have had the treat of taking the 450h from the Silicon Valley up via Highway 1 (marvelous) all the way up to BC then through Idaho, Montana, and Nevada, so I got a lot of experience with how to really get the most from the system.

PS: Thaks (Stormforge and 1SICKLEX) for seemingly pioneering the way in modding the 450hs. I'm not a big modder but I really like the things you guys are doing and may consider some hybrid upgrades if you guys found some good ones.
Old 05-08-09, 09:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I too work 10 minutes from work so I rarely see full capacity. But I have had the treat of taking the 450h from the Silicon Valley up via Highway 1 (marvelous) all the way up to BC then through Idaho, Montana, and Nevada, so I got a lot of experience with how to really get the most from the system.

PS: Thaks (Stormforge and 1SICKLEX) for seemingly pioneering the way in modding the 450hs. I'm not a big modder but I really like the things you guys are doing and may consider some hybrid upgrades if you guys found some good ones.
you came up to BC? dude! the next time you take a road trip and you pop into Vancouver, give me a holler! we'll hook up!

LOL! thx for the props, but i don't think it's anything special compared to what some of the other guys here have done to their GS. we're all here to help out, we're one big happy family!

i'm hoping to share another mod with you guys soon, stay tuned!