GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: 3GS Owners: How you do really feel about your purchase?
Ecstatic. Perfect. Couldn't be happier. Highly recommended. Would buy again.
36.53%
Pleased. A few things here and there really bother me, but overall pretty good.
47.03%
Meh. So, so. As bad as it is, it was the best of the lot in this price range.
5.94%
Disappointed. I can live with it, but I'll be looking to trade or sell soon.
7.31%
Furious. Worst decision I've ever made with $50k. Not recommended. For sale/already sold.
3.20%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

3GS Owners: How happy are you now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 01:56 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porkiepig1
ive had my gs for about a week and i feel that ive already had a good look into the car. first of all we all need to be patient with the new parts to come out for performance, obviously some of us are just waiting for something to put on that will really boost the engines performance. seriously some people will never be satisfied with the stock amount of horsepower a car has. second of all, there will always be some way to make a car fun to drive. to be bored of a car after a few thousand miles is saying that you purchased the wrong car. yes it has little head room, a high stock suspension and a limited dvd system, but the more features you change, the more problems you will encounter in the future. just admit it, this car just isnt for some people. for me, i personally love the car and was waiting for a long time go get mine, a total of a year, i chose to be different and i traded a BMW 335I coupe to get a GS 350 so obviously im not too inspired of german cars. but to keep the integrity of the stock set-up of the audio system intergration is required and it is costly. wheels and suspension is a key factor in ride feel, the only change for suspension available is for sport driving, i may be wrong. intakes and exhaust modifications are available but nothing further recently. in all the car has potential, just hope you have the money to bring it out. i still have much to learn, im sorry if anyone can correct me. there is only limited information out there that i have found.
how fast is your gs350 compared to the 335i?
Old 09-18-07, 07:26 PM
porkiepig1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not as fast but there is much more head and passenger room. the 335 is much more simpler which is more performance oriented. not really focusing on luxuries. dont get me wrong its there, but its not what you would expect from a car in that price range.
Old 09-18-07, 07:31 PM
porkiepig1
Driver School Candidate

oh i forgot to mention, if some people dont know, the 335 is a twin turbo inline six with a pretty plush but stiff suspension eighteen inch wheels summer tires and a stainless steel exhaust. it was pretty cool.
Old 09-18-07, 10:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by porkiepig1
ive had my gs for about a week and i feel that ive already had a good look into the car. first of all we all need to be patient with the new parts to come out for performance, obviously some of us are just waiting for something to put on that will really boost the engines performance. seriously some people will never be satisfied with the stock amount of horsepower a car has. second of all, there will always be some way to make a car fun to drive. to be bored of a car after a few thousand miles is saying that you purchased the wrong car. yes it has little head room, a high stock suspension and a limited dvd system, but the more features you change, the more problems you will encounter in the future. just admit it, this car just isnt for some people. for me, i personally love the car and was waiting for a long time go get mine, a total of a year, i chose to be different and i traded a BMW 335I coupe to get a GS 350 so obviously im not too inspired of german cars. but to keep the integrity of the stock set-up of the audio system intergration is required and it is costly. wheels and suspension is a key factor in ride feel, the only change for suspension available is for sport driving, i may be wrong. intakes and exhaust modifications are available but nothing further recently. in all the car has potential, just hope you have the money to bring it out. i still have much to learn, im sorry if anyone can correct me. there is only limited information out there that i have found.
Congrats and welcome to CL! That's a huge step forward to leave a BMW 335i and jump into a GS350. Hope we can help you along the way in your GS journey.

I'm with you on the waiting part. It took me some time to finally decide on getting one myself. I have to admit, i'm more excited about this car than my previous (04 IS300).
Old 09-19-07, 12:02 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Wow , that’s some overwhelming love for the GS. Even with a large +/- margin for error -- you know that occasional non-owner whose fantastic "optimism" permits a vote, or, that poster who spites having to click twice to the see the results, etc -- the 90%+ of heavy positivism is amazing to me. This is great to see, but for indecisive people like me (it takes me 2 hours to decide on a shirt) it actually complicates matters in some ways. I've been hemming and hawing over a new car for about 2 years now, just waiting for something to come along and knock me out like the 2nd Gen Legend Coupe did, or the 2nd Gen GS (remember seeing that awesome Lexus commercial for the first time). Though I’m closer than ever on pulling the trigger, I don’t know if I’ve quite met that car yet , at least not in my price range of $50k. Now, in the, say, $125k range, there’s plenty to love. I really thought the Audi A/S 5 might have been it, but I don’t think so. Audi and BMW make these ridiculous red LED inspired interiors that I can never get used to.

Right now, I think the car I really want is the Lexus GS37 – that would be the new G37 with a Lexus badge containing, among other things, the GS’ ML 7.1 surround, its interior fit and finish, and the G37’s nav and industry-leading iPod integration, along with its COUPE! exterior design, motor and suspension.

In any case I’m psyched that these replies reaffirm what I always thought to be true about this car.
Old 09-19-07, 02:11 PM
porkiepig1
Driver School Candidate

thank you very much and im very happy about my choice. i succeded in being different, i got a chardonnay pearl with cashmere gs that i have never seen the same color gs on this island, not to mention that i live in an area that there isnt too many luxury cars around. what i wish to add? some painted, not chrome, rims, an ings kit and some kind of forced induction system, most likely a turbo if possible. also thanks for the welcome, im very happy to be here.
Old 09-21-07, 02:02 PM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Just like someone mentioned earlier...the GS350 is a great car.

A few disturbing/annoying issues are:

-voice recognition system..they really need to make improvements on this..no matter how hard i try to enunciate she can't seem understand the address. Half the time I find myself screaming at this lady.

-unable to input address while driving...i understand its a safety issue but why is it that BMWs and Acuras can input while driving? If it is a safety issue why not standardize it across all car makers?

-the annoying ticking noise while idle. Service manager said its normal...just an annoyance.

Overall this is a very comfortable car to drive/ride in...but recently I had a chance to drive my friends brand new 2008 BMW M5...theres just no comparison as far as performance...

...M5 is such a fun car...but I HATE BMW customer service..they are by far the worst!
Old 09-22-07, 10:26 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up my 450h yesterday and I am so much more impressed with the power. I owned a 2GS and there are too many differences between the 2. The only thing that I wished it had was an automatic open/close truck feature. Otherwise, I'm very happy with it.
Old 09-24-07, 02:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ucmyGS350
-the annoying ticking noise while idle. Service manager said its normal...just an annoyance.
I just find it funny that ppl complain about this in US, and many ppl cant wait for diesels.

I have ridden in, arguably, the best diesel in the world, 3 series with 3.0 twin turbo, and you could notice it was an diesel, together with seat/gearlever/door shake
Old 09-25-07, 03:34 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Had the 06 300 and now the 07 350. Been disappointed with both models.

No ipod connectivity. How about a hard drive like the LS or Infiniti systems.

Why is there a cassette player still in this car? Hello, it's 2007.

The rattles - I've given up having the dealer try to fix them. This is a deal killer for a 50k car.

No XM traffic with Nav option - Acura has had this for years.

The seats - uncomfortable.

Electronic trunk latch - your kidding me. How about making it completely automatic. If I have to close the trunk myself anyways, how does the electronic latch help? Lame.

Some controls are not well thought out. Changing air temperature - no way to quickly go from hot to cold. Pushing a button twenty times does not cut it. Lame.

The inability to do things while driving is just maddening. No input of Nav information, no phone dialing, no folder scanning of MP3 CDs. I know we can use the voice commands, but thats just insane.

Voice commands are too slow. To many prompts. Even with the prompts turned off, it takes to long to do something.

Stock tires suck. Its a 50k car!

Overall quality is not what Lexus use to be, in my opinion. My 07 is much better than my 06 was. So hopefully the 08 will be that much better than the 07.

On the positive side, the car looks like a million bucks and goes down the road nice.

Mine will be gone as soon as I find a replacement. Other than that... its great.

Last edited by scottmyers; 09-25-07 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-28-07, 05:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just washed and waxed the Ice350 after a solid week of rain.
I fell for it all over again. Yes, I prefer sport coupes but this is the next best thing. I'm keeping her. I'm sure I'll love her more when she gets a set of new shoes.
Old 10-15-07, 02:53 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

i love my car 2 :P
Old 10-15-07, 11:29 AM
spiralynth
Rookie

scottmeyers nicely sums up the list of disappointments on post #40. I'm sure a lot of those items appear on a universal list, even for those who, despite those dislikes, still feel positively overall about the car. I'm intersted in how those same dislikes can tip the scale to the polar end of the spectrum -- essentially making them non-negotiable -- for the few that voted negatively.

If they feel so inclined, I'd be curious to hear more from those who voted negatively in order to further elucidate where that tipping point lies.
Old 10-25-07, 06:00 AM
gslexusboy
Driver School Candidate

Mostly love it except for the fatal flaws in teh Nav system. Am taking Lexus to mediation since they claim it's their supplier fault. I now want them to repurchase the car. At $4,030.00 with the upgrade Mark Levinson/Nave package, that's too much for something that doesn't work as promised.
Old 10-25-07, 06:08 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gslexusboy
Mostly love it except for the fatal flaws in teh Nav system. Am taking Lexus to mediation since they claim it's their supplier fault. I now want them to repurchase the car. At $4,030.00 with the upgrade Mark Levinson/Nave package, that's too much for something that doesn't work as promised.
Works for me! - What's your problem?

Quick Reply: 3GS Owners: How happy are you now?