GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS300 AWD lowering

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 09:38 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 AWD lowered

I will be lowering my car tomorrow with Tanabe NF210 springs spec'd for the RWD GS. We raised the car last week looked at the suspension and made some minor measurements. The only concern was for the front end, however the OD for the spring is comparable to stock and the shock/strut seating looks compatible. The front shock/strut has a loop at the bottom (probably to route around the drive shaft), whereas the RWD shock/strut goes stright down (no drive shaft). The rear end is the same as the RWD. I'll update you all with pic's and analysis when the job is complete and after driving around for a bit.

Any thoughts or concerns would help, please reply?

Last edited by nardeezy; 03-18-06 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 10:06 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very pleased that someone is trying this....i didnt expect it from an AWD owner located in California though....

Please share as much as you can when you get this in...i'm anxious to also get this done.
Old 03-18-06, 10:51 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

It's done! Motorsport Techniques in Hayward, CA lowered my car today with Tanabe NF210 springs (spec'd for GS430). Everything went fine and so far no problems (after approx. 100 miles). The ride is not the same as stock. The AWD may have stiffer shocks than the RWD's. Some guys who installed the NF210's on their RWD say that their ride is like stock. I would have to say it's not as smooth as stock, especially when driving over harsher roads. Anyways, I'm happy with it and if you AWD owners want to lower your vehicle it's all good to use after market springs spec'd for the RWD.

Next step is to install larger wheels and tires.

Before
Attached Thumbnails GS300 AWD lowering-img_3416-web-.jpg  
Old 03-18-06, 10:54 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Approx. 8 miles after lowering.
Attached Thumbnails GS300 AWD lowering-img_3508-web-.jpg  
Old 03-19-06, 11:43 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats man! Looks nice!

Were there any problems during the installation? How long did it take to do the install?
Old 03-19-06, 11:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Definitely looks nicer lowered
Old 03-19-06, 12:05 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow that looks great lowered!

This car almost looks designed to be lowered, kinda like the 97-99 Eclipse... looks awesome lowered
Old 03-19-06, 08:32 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I love you
I will be buying springs tomorrow .
Your car looks great (do you have any pics of the install?)

Last edited by 4thone; 03-19-06 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 09:18 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4thone
I love you
I will be buying springs tomorrow .
Your car looks great (do you have any pics of the install?)
No need for pics. The installer is very experienced! He said lowering the 3GS models are easier than the 2GS. Also, the only pre determined issue I thought would be the front end. The installer said it's just like lowering a FWD car. I actually drove the car another 100+ miles that same day with my wife and baby. The car may have settled a little bit more. At least it seems like it's sitting just a tad bit lower. Other opinions may vary and I never rode in any other lowered GS except my car but I definitely can feel a difference in ride comfort (compared to stock) when driving on harsher roads (especially on the freeway). However, the car has less body roll when turning. Anyways, I think it was well worth it.
Old 03-19-06, 09:23 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS4fun
Congrats man! Looks nice!

Were there any problems during the installation? How long did it take to do the install?
No issues. Typical time that it would take to replace coil springs on a double wishbone suspension, approx. 4 hours with alignment.
Old 03-20-06, 06:10 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Looks good, can you take more pics from different angles? How many inches did you drop it from the front and back?
Old 03-20-06, 07:28 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Car looks great.. It really does look better lowered... Just wait to get your wheels.. Its going to look awesome... nice job..
Old 03-20-06, 07:33 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SGT
Looks good, can you take more pics from different angles? How many inches did you drop it from the front and back?
I have more pics at home, the Tanabe NF210's are spec'd at lowering 1.3" front and .9" rear for the RWD. Being that the AWD normally sits .5" higher than the RWD i'm not sure how much it lowered my car. At first I was thinking it's because of the OEM springs but the lower portion of the front shock assembly is different thean the RWD, that could be why the AWD sits higher than the RWD. However, the rear suspension assembly is identical with the RWD. I should have performed a height measurement before and after. Anyways, after loweirng the AWD, the car is lowered approx. 1.3" - 1.8" in the front and .9" - 1.4" in the rear after compensating the stock .5" higher ride height.

I have more pic's on my home PC. Actually, i'll try to take more pics tonight because I believe the springs have settled and the car sit slightly lower than the pic I took above. The reason I posted the pic's above is because it's the best before and after pics for comparison.
Old 03-20-06, 04:40 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nardeezy
I have more pics at home, the Tanabe NF210's are spec'd at lowering 1.3" front and .9" rear for the RWD. Being that the AWD normally sits .5" higher than the RWD i'm not sure how much it lowered my car. At first I was thinking it's because of the OEM springs but the lower portion of the front shock assembly is different thean the RWD, that could be why the AWD sits higher than the RWD. However, the rear suspension assembly is identical with the RWD. I should have performed a height measurement before and after. Anyways, after loweirng the AWD, the car is lowered approx. 1.3" - 1.8" in the front and .9" - 1.4" in the rear after compensating the stock .5" higher ride height.

I have more pic's on my home PC. Actually, i'll try to take more pics tonight because I believe the springs have settled and the car sit slightly lower than the pic I took above. The reason I posted the pic's above is because it's the best before and after pics for comparison.
Its tonight...AWD owners want more pics.
Old 03-20-06, 06:08 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4fun
Its tonight...AWD owners want more pics.

Yes give me a fix

Quick Reply: GS300 AWD lowering