GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bluetooth Address Book Transfer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 07:36 AM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bluetooth Address Book Transfer

From reading the various forums it seems like that the only GSM bluetooth phones that allow a complete address book trasfer (rather than one entry at a time) to the 06 GS300/430 are the Sony/Ericsson (T610, T637, etc.) and the Cingular Treo 650 . Does anyone know of any additional phones (especially Nokia or Motorola) that can do it?
Old 06-13-05, 01:11 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help. Sorry! But I do know that it is a TERRIBLE pain in the neck since I have hundreds of entries for work that I tried to put in my RX but just gave up.

What an idiotic thing! If only phone-manufacturers pursued perfection...
Old 06-13-05, 09:03 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave up too

I gave up too. It's actually easier to just keep the phone in the cupholder when I'm in the car and dial with the phone. Even if all of the phone numbers were in the Lexus addressbook, it's too many steps to choose one. I just wish they added a headset "click" button to the steering wheel. This way I could use the voice dialing ability of my SonyEricsson P910a to dial without even having to touch the phone.

I guess we can hope that they will come up with a firmware upgrade for the system to fix these problems.
Old 06-14-05, 04:27 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bluetooth Phones

I've read in several places that the Motorola V551 works fine - it's the one I plan to get.
The Lexus salesman had the Nokia 6620 (the wide one with buttons in the side of the screen).
This is with Cingular.

I was considering Verizon, but they appear to have crippled their Bluetooth Motorola flip, such that you can't send your address book to the car. If you are considering Verizon, do your homework before making a commitment. I wanted to fully use my GS phone feature. Also, I really don't like the idea of dealing with a company that would cripple a phone in an apparent attempt to manipulate how you communicate with your phone, especially when their competition doesn't. They advertise it as Bluetooth on their web site, but don't bother to tell you about the limitations you'd have.
Old 06-14-05, 10:43 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1
Can't help. Sorry! But I do know that it is a TERRIBLE pain in the neck since I have hundreds of entries for work that I tried to put in my RX but just gave up.

What an idiotic thing! If only phone-manufacturers pursued perfection...
well, i really don't blame the phone mfrs or cell-providers as much as i do lexus. i think the bluetooth phone system they chose for their cars is downright pitiful...i had the same lame bluetooth system in my RX330 and had hoped for/expected some improvement in the GS. importing each phone record is definitely a pain...but the fact that you can't manually key and store a phone number into the address book, nor even EDIT an existing imported number, is an abomination. i mean come on, the touchscreen is there, so is the database -- it just required an input and editing screen to enable. surely there was/is an alternative bluetooth program available to integrate with the nav program, and somebody didn't do their due diligence and screwed up choosing the hitachi add-in vs the sony (just kidding about the brands, but i think you get my point).

i'll bet this quirky phone limitation is a sticky point with savvy lexus salespeople...since the good ones will fully disclose what you can and cannot do with your phone. handsfree bluetooth phoning meant a lot to me when i heard about it, and i'm still hoping for a better system in my nex' lex'.

sorry for the rant. i'd still buy a lexus with or without the bloody bluetooth, since in my opinion, there ain't nuthin else quite as nice and dependable on the road. and then when you consider the levinson sound, which is now 5.1 surround (as long as you buy DVD surround discs), oh my god!!!
Old 06-14-05, 11:22 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i use cingular, which has the SIM chip technology for storing entries. my new phone is the nokia 6230, which requires transfers 1 entry at a time.

my workaround for this problem was to get my old sony ericcson T61 out of my drawer and put the sim chip in there, and then do the transfer. it worked beautifully, much better than sitting there with the nokia all day doing 200+ entries.

that's the easiest way if you also use a chip in your phone. just find a friend or coworker who'll loan you their BT phone for a few minutes. if it's stored directly in the phone, i don't know what else you can do.
Old 07-18-05, 07:31 AM
jyinger
Driver School Candidate

Default transfer phone book using bluetooth laptop

I get my new LS430 Wednesday.

I'm hoping to transfer my phone book to the Lexus using my Sony Vaio T250..

That approach worked last night to transfer my phone book to my new Moto Razr V3, so maybe it wil work also to transfer the phone book to the Lexus.

I'd hate to sit there and transfer the entries one-at-a-time.

I'll let you know Thursday if it worked.
Old 07-18-05, 08:56 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

the VZW bluetooth isnt all that bad...i got almost all of my address book in there...i have a tre650. I just went to the drop down menu selected send category (in this case it's ALL instead of Business/Personal/etc) and it did it.
Old 07-18-05, 11:43 AM
LexuSteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by idg
From reading the various forums it seems like that the only GSM bluetooth phones that allow a complete address book trasfer (rather than one entry at a time) to the 06 GS300/430 are the Sony/Ericsson (T610, T637, etc.) and the Cingular Treo 650 . Does anyone know of any additional phones (especially Nokia or Motorola) that can do it?

i'm pretty sure those aren't the only phones that allow a complete address book transfer. the list i made on my post is an ongoing list that gets updated, hopefully with the help of everybody on this board.

i will be recieving my sony ericsson s710 within a week, we'll see if that phone gets added to the list of phones that allow a complete phonebook transfer.
Old 07-18-05, 03:43 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hziemba
I've read in several places that the Motorola V551 works fine - it's the one I plan to get.
I believe that the V551 will only allow you to transfer one phone book entry at a time, not the entire phone book at once.
Old 07-18-05, 07:53 PM
stoshiro
Rookie

Has anyone been able to transfer phonebook via a laptop or PDA with bluetooth?

I tried with my Ipaq, but couldnt get the GS to correctly link with it...
Old 07-19-05, 06:49 PM
RajaReMax
Driver

Wink Transferring Phonebook from Phone-Car

I just bought a new 2005 LS430 in April and finally took the time to figure out the Bluetooth system between the car & phone...I have a SonyEricson S710 and transferred the entire phonebook in about 15 minutes...I might add that I have about 350 numbers programmed...

One trick that the phone manual and the car manual does not tell you is:
If the phonebook does not transfer, TURN OFF THE IGNITION & PHONE !!!

1) Wait about 1 minute and turn both back on.

2) Set up the Car by getting to the "Transfer Phonebook" option.

3) On the phone, go to Phonebook, Options, Advanced, Copy to SIM, Send all Contacts.

4) Car Screen will say "Transfer in Progress". Wait till its finished or at least 20 minutes, before
pressing "Cancel". Most if not all of your contacts should have transferred....Goodluck!

Raja......
Old 07-19-05, 11:19 PM
LexuSteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by RajaReMax
I just bought a new 2005 LS430 in April and finally took the time to figure out the Bluetooth system between the car & phone...I have a SonyEricson S710 and transferred the entire phonebook in about 15 minutes...I might add that I have about 350 numbers programmed...

One trick that the phone manual and the car manual does not tell you is:
If the phonebook does not transfer, TURN OFF THE IGNITION & PHONE !!!

1) Wait about 1 minute and turn both back on.

2) Set up the Car by getting to the "Transfer Phonebook" option.

3) On the phone, go to Phonebook, Options, Advanced, Copy to SIM, Send all Contacts.

4) Car Screen will say "Transfer in Progress". Wait till its finished or at least 20 minutes, before
pressing "Cancel". Most if not all of your contacts should have transferred....Goodluck!

Raja......

i'm guessing that the ls and the gs has the same bluetooth? if so, this is good news for me. I will be picking up my s710 in two days and was worried about the two being compatible.
Old 07-20-05, 10:04 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by LexuSteve
i'm guessing that the ls and the gs has the same bluetooth? if so, this is good news for me. I will be picking up my s710 in two days and was worried about the two being compatible.
as long as your LS has the same newer generation nav, you are ok. all the newer lexus models (generally MY 2005 and up) and toyota models have the new Gen4 nav systems w/ BT.
Old 11-27-05, 01:56 PM
wnrussell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idg
Try this link:

http://toyota.letstalk.com/bluetooth/bt_userguides.htm

It appears that almost all of the Sony and none of the Motorola phones will transfer the whole phonebook at once.

You can tell by looking at the instructions attached to each model on the page.

Here is a link to transfer the phonebook with a laptop computer. If you have Verizon, the new Nokia 6256i is the only phone that will upload your contacts.

http://priuschat.com/Bluetooth-phone...top-t6017.html

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Address Book Transfer