GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front door hinges make a 'popping' noise when opening and closing! Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 09:54 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I have this problem on my 98 gs. My plastic piece that pops in place near the bottom of the door keeps popping out. I have learned to just live with it. It only comes out of the door 3 to 4 times a week. I just tap it and the piece pops back into place.
Old 09-25-03, 06:17 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fixed my popping door! Sure enough popped the black plastic off and tighten'er up. Is there anything you guys don"t know about these cars?

DT
Old 09-25-03, 09:39 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, once u tighten it up, it shouldn't come loose any time soon. but if you really want to make sure it never comes back out, u can always unscrew the screw out, put some threadlock on the screw, and screw it back on.
Old 09-25-03, 10:31 PM
Downtown
Pole Position

That was just 2 easy. I kinda miss that popping noise. Kinda like when you open a can of beer.

DT
Old 09-26-03, 03:27 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Downtown
That was just 2 easy. I kinda miss that popping noise. Kinda like when you open a can of beer.

DT

Well, you know how to bring the noise back too now!
Old 09-26-03, 07:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody has fixed my popping noise yet!!

j/k
I'm taking my car in for a transmission flush and fluid replacement and the dealer said he'd get them to figure out what the deal was with the doors too.

Oddly enough I stopped by the used car showroom and found a 2001 GS300 that had the same exact thing happening but it was only about half as loud- barely audible on the driver's side and just as loud as mine on the passenger side...
Old 04-19-15, 10:14 PM
sdjensen5
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Same problem (Door Check) Popping Sound

I have the exact same problem and found that the door check on the LX470 was catching on the inside of the door along the tracks that slide the window up and down and slowly bending the track (strong metal tracks). Every time I opened and closed the door, the door check (the black plastic bar has a metal washer on the end) was catching inside my door. It just kept getting worse, and I finally decided to take the door apart. However, once I got the door taken apart, it was too hard to fix. So I reassembled it and will live with the popping noise for now. Not worth getting it fixed. If I take it apart again, I will literally need to "bang out" the window track and file down the door check washer. But that is a big job for a small nuisance.
Old 04-20-15, 10:50 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My driver side door does this. The pivot pin that goes through the arm and bracket has worn and it pops when the door is opened all the way up. Only fix for me is to replace the arm, pin, and bracket. I just live with it.
Old 07-09-19, 03:54 PM
Darmac
Driver School Candidate

Default Car door scraping against fender

My car door is also scraping against the fender. Can I fix this myself?

Originally Posted by Sleepyboi
thats definately not normal...i remember my bro's SC having that problem too...but his problem was the end of the door was actually rubbing against the fender and the popping sound was when the door and the fender would scrape past each other....

dunno about the hinge thing tho...if ur car is still under warranty i would definately take it back to the dealer and ask them to check it out
Old 07-10-19, 05:39 PM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Darmac
My car door is also scraping against the fender. Can I fix this myself?
It depends on how badly it is rubbing as well as where it is rubbing. If you are not extremely mechanically inclined I do not recommend you attempt this yourself.

For anyone questioning my advice, I am an ASE, Nissan, and Infiniti Master Technician. Additionally, I spent a year at an exotic car dealership.

This is not GS specific advice, but general car advice. If your door is rubbing the fender and your door check links and hinges are correctly torqued, there is a good chance your door is sagging.

The following is what 99 percent of shops will do to fix it. Do not complain to me if you screw up your car. If you have ANY doubts about your ability, STOP NOW!!! I cannot stress this enough, if you screw up you will have a very, very expensive problem on your hands.

1. Find a floor jack (trolley jack for our friends speaking the Queen’s) and block of wood.

2. Fully open the door that is rubbing.

3. Place the block of wood on the saddle of the jack.

4. Pump the jack so that the wood is touching the bottom of the door, just a few inches from rear edge of the door. STOP the second you feel resistance.

5. Pump the jack 1/3 of a stroke.

6. Lower the jack.

7. Open and close the door to check your progress. If the door opens and closes without rubbing, you are all
done.

8. Repeat steps 2 - 7 until your door is correctly aligned.

9. Do not complain on the forums if you screw up or attempted this when you had a completely different problem.

10. If you do screw up, STOP immediately and take your car to a body shop.

i hope this helps.

Will