GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Fog lights on or off with no fog out?
OFF
15.14%
ON
84.86%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 01:50 AM
Aristo916
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog lights

On or off with no fog out?
Old 09-09-03, 02:39 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Long ago (before fogs were present on a majority of cars) I was stopped by a state policeman for a little informative visit. Me and my Prelude Si were out for a drive with fogs on when this occured; they gave me a little better light pattern around the front corners of the car. He suggested that I leave them off except in appropriate conditions since the low but quite wide dispersion pattern created a glare problem for oncoming traffic, even on the 4 lane divided interstate that this visit occured on. So mine have stayed off ever since, but the proliferation of fogs and driving lights on cars has demonstrated time and again to me the validity of his "advice".

Pontiac and BMW drivers seem to be the worst offenders around here.

Last edited by mooretorque; 09-09-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-09-03, 02:47 AM
Aristo916
Driver

I do say OFF I think it's stupid to have them on with no fog. Mooretorque makes a very point why!
Old 09-09-03, 05:13 AM
LexFather

mooretorque, didn't the Si have yellow fogs similar to ours? Mine are usually on. The yellow beam IMO is not bright enough to create glare.

Hameed has HIDs in his fogs and they looked AWESOME!
Old 09-09-03, 11:55 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

IMO i prefer then ON.. i bought my yellow fogs bc my car was not equip. with them so thats why i leave them on. for some reason the yellow fogs gives our cars that "lexus" look and i had to have that.
Old 09-09-03, 12:30 PM
LarryF
Rookie

I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and remember that when I still lived there (before 1988) a woman I worked with got fined by a PA State Policeman because, at that time at least, PA had a law against driving with fogs on when it wasn't foggy. I have no idea if that law still exists or if it's being enforced, but there could be other states out there with similar laws. I live in Maryland, and doubt that such a law exists here, since lots of people drive in all conditions with their fogs on.
Old 09-09-03, 02:55 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

I understand when you have the fog lights on from a car that comes equiped with them (they are already leveled correctly). What I don't understand is SUV's showing off the big spot lights they put on their grilles in perfectly clear weather.
Old 09-09-03, 05:56 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

I used to drive with them off....but recently I've started to drive with them on, b/c like somone else commented, it gives it that "Lexus look" and it looks good in my opinion. Besides, living in L.A., there really aren't that many foggy days.
Old 09-09-03, 07:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Was pulled over as well - back in my 1990 Supra. I also leave them off for several other reasons
1. The yellow fogs look terrible with the HIDs (although they do work well in the fog)
2. So many idiots in Pontiacs and sport utilities have them on and they blind me. But man, those things on Explorers, Expeditions, and F150s are blinding.
Old 09-09-03, 07:26 PM
roller400
Rookie

In my opinion, fog lights don't help with fog that much, but before I had my lex, I have been creeped up upon by GS's and IS's with the yellow fogs and it is an intimidaing feeling, so I like to have them on while I'm driving so people know what's about to pass them.
Old 09-09-03, 09:19 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

my fogs are always on

i even wanted to do little mod on my car when i can turn my fog lights without headlights that looks pretty nice, i only saw 2 GS w/ that and i want it pretty badly if anyone did that or knows how to do it let me know (PM /email me)

Old 09-09-03, 09:32 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Definitely!! I turn it on all the time. Mainly because I have IS fogs on my Gs and love the yellow egg yoke look.
Old 09-09-03, 09:56 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

on GS? 1st gen?
Old 09-09-03, 10:58 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by alexus
my fogs are always on

i even wanted to do little mod on my car when i can turn my fog lights without headlights that looks pretty nice, i only saw 2 GS w/ that and i want it pretty badly if anyone did that or knows how to do it let me know (PM /email me)

goto bananaGS's website he has a DIY on how to do it looks kinda hard though.
Old 09-10-03, 02:49 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

SICK, yup, the Si had yellow fogs. As far as glare, maybe the Si had a wider pattern, because I remember (subsequent to my chat with the ASP) remarking to myself that the cop was right on seeing another Si with fogs on a few weeks later. I'm surprised I can remember ANYthing that far back........age does that to ya.

Legally, I don't know if Ark has a law but the practice is now so commonplace that not much could be done by the police. Don't think I'd mind it quite as much if they were all aimed properly, but it seems like half the cars that have them on have damage to the front bumper/valance resulting in the left side light aiming way left of center!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! And the bastards with driving lights are just as bad!!!!

Quick Reply: fog lights