GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Planning out a new stereo system...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 02:48 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Of course it's a solid car. That goes without saying.

Though going on about the system, I feel like I'm wasting my time because it seems that the entire concept is beyond the scope of some here...
Old 06-19-19, 12:39 AM
insyder
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
Of course it's a solid car. That goes without saying.

Though going on about the system, I feel like I'm wasting my time because it seems that the entire concept is beyond the scope of some here...
Not everyone.

My summer project: I'm looking at retiring my 10" Kicker Comp C in the stock location for a pair or 12s or 15s IB setup. Your planning is sound. I'm looking at building a "5 sided box" that will be angled like you described. I want to fire through the rear seat, and seal, dampen, and reinforce the package tray. The stock location for the 10 is fun, but a complete rattle trap.

I'll follow your build and am happy to share what I get going.
The following users liked this post:
ChopsGS (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 09:36 AM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by insyder
Not everyone.

My summer project: I'm looking at retiring my 10" Kicker Comp C in the stock location for a pair or 12s or 15s IB setup. Your planning is sound. I'm looking at building a "5 sided box" that will be angled like you described. I want to fire through the rear seat, and seal, dampen, and reinforce the package tray. The stock location for the 10 is fun, but a complete rattle trap.

I'll follow your build and am happy to share what I get going.
I still plan on doing this or similar, BUT it will not be in a GS400. As I just found out the other night, what I'm getting is a 2001 LS430! Don't ask me how I confused an LS430 for a GS400. Migraines just have a way of messing me up severely sometimes, like the day I briefly saw the car a week or so ago.

Oddly, the GS400 comes with a 10" sub, the larger LS430 comes with an 8" sub. I guess because it may be a quieter car on the inside and Lexus felt it didn't need such a big sub?
Old 06-20-19, 05:22 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

umm... yea.. those are two completely different cars. How did you believe you were getting a GS400, and you really are getting an LS430? Family?
Old 06-20-19, 06:52 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

I've been following this because I still have yet to do any stereo system changes. At least the idea is still note-worthy. I think I'm just going to swap in a 12" in place of the factory 10" and use my own amp (remove stock and maybe install it there) with a touchscreen deck (kenwood or Pioneer) Upgrade the speakers later. Trying to keep weight down since I'm going for performance in it too. I pulled out the CD changer already because it is obsolete with Bluetooth technology and all. The thing weights at least 30 lbs. I like stealth, so any factory spots I can use I will. Any thread I read about this stuff helps me out because this is definitely not my area of expertise.
The following users liked this post:
ChopsGS (06-20-19)
Old 06-20-19, 11:24 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by sbagdon
umm... yea.. those are two completely different cars. How did you believe you were getting a GS400, and you really are getting an LS430? Family?
Long story... But yes, I am getting an LS430. Family? No, but she might as well be. I've known her going on 20 years now.
Old 06-20-19, 11:28 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
I've been following this because I still have yet to do any stereo system changes. At least the idea is still note-worthy. I think I'm just going to swap in a 12" in place of the factory 10" and use my own amp (remove stock and maybe install it there) with a touchscreen deck (kenwood or Pioneer) Upgrade the speakers later. Trying to keep weight down since I'm going for performance in it too. I pulled out the CD changer already because it is obsolete with Bluetooth technology and all. The thing weights at least 30 lbs. I like stealth, so any factory spots I can use I will. Any thread I read about this stuff helps me out because this is definitely not my area of expertise.
Once I get around to starting on the audio system, I'll start a new thread, but in the LS forum for obvious reasons. I'm somewhat concerned about weight as well, but not nearly as much as I am about a complete stealth install. One thing is for sure, I have some major planning to do! The GS400's trunk had its own set of challenges, but so does the LS430's trunk.
Old 06-21-19, 08:32 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
You'll need to cut a fair bit of cutting of the rear deck to get a 12" sub to work in the factory location. I would suggest you just get a 10" to make your life easier. I used an Alpine MV500 mounted to the bottom of the rear deck and used the line level in from the factory sub woofer to get a signal and used an Alpine SWS-10D2 in the factory location. I wanted to keep my factory ML speakers and head unit though. Its worked well for me so far but something that I saw in the GX forum is that when using that make sure the line level voltage doesn't go above 10V as thats what aftermarket amps are rated for. Someone recommended using an LC2i to control the input if the voltage is too high
Old 06-21-19, 10:14 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
You'll need to cut a fair bit of cutting of the rear deck to get a 12" sub to work in the factory location. I would suggest you just get a 10" to make your life easier. I used an Alpine MV500 mounted to the bottom of the rear deck and used the line level in from the factory sub woofer to get a signal and used an Alpine SWS-10D2 in the factory location. I wanted to keep my factory ML speakers and head unit though. Its worked well for me so far but something that I saw in the GX forum is that when using that make sure the line level voltage doesn't go above 10V as thats what aftermarket amps are rated for. Someone recommended using an LC2i to control the input if the voltage is too high
No, you don't have to limit yourself to a 10" driver. You can make a baffle adapter to easily mount a 12" driver and fire it through the stock 10" hole. If there was enough room, you could do the same for a 15" driver theoretically. Any way you do it, from what I've read, you have to really take care of rattles and such on that rear deck.