GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Part hunt

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 10:38 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by OGGPoodle
The plan is to try and find a wrecked one that I can steal the quarter panel off of. I'm having a lot of trouble finding one so i may end up just having a dealer do it.
As TrueGS300 stated, emotions aside, if you’re planning on having a dealer do the work you’ll quickly exceed the value of the car probably two fold. So as long as this is a labor of love I guess it would make sense. Barely.

I think you’d be better of just finding a donor and swapping parts. At least you have another parts car to boot.
Old 04-06-19, 01:00 PM
OGGPoodle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
As TrueGS300 stated, emotions aside, if you’re planning on having a dealer do the work you’ll quickly exceed the value of the car probably two fold. So as long as this is a labor of love I guess it would make sense. Barely.

I think you’d be better of just finding a donor and swapping parts. At least you have another parts car to boot.
Yeah I agree. I think a donor is a good plan. Does anyone know of where I could find one? I've been emailing junkyards across the country with no luck. Yet.
Old 04-06-19, 06:34 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

The problem is that that area is not a panel like a door, hood, or fender. It is not something that can be unbolted and sent out. It spans from the rear of the car to the mirrors. You are better off pulling out what you can and filling in the rest with bondo, then paint to match.
Old 04-06-19, 06:37 PM
OGGPoodle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
The problem is that that area is not a panel like a door, hood, or fender. It is not something that can be unbolted and sent out. It spans from the rear of the car to the mirrors. You are better off pulling out what you can and filling in the rest with bondo, then paint to match.
Yep. It's gonna need to be cut and welded + alot of body work.
Bondo is an option and I may end up doing that if I can't find a substitute.
Old 04-06-19, 07:33 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not recommend pulling that out and filling it with bondo. It doesn’t sound like you’ve done bodywork before and it will take a very experience person to straighten that quarter panel. But to be honest to fix it the right way will take just an experienced person.

- First the car needs to be strapped down on a frame machine or a floor pull to pull on that right quarter to get the door gap close to what it was prior to the hit.

- then you’ll need to detrim everything in the surrounding area to set up to cut the old quarter off This includes removing the back glass

- the quarter will have to be cut by the C-pillar and lower dogleg area and all the spot welds in the pinch weld areas drilled out and that’s just to remove the old quarter

I’ll stop there for now just to let you know that repair isn’t something for a novice if you want to do it right. It’s so many guidelines that manufacturers have in place when repairing a accident car on how they want you to properly repair it.

I recommend you just take the car to a reputable shop just for a estimate those should be free ( it’s free at my job not sure about other states/areas) . The reason I say do this is just so you can get them to explain to you fully how they will go about repairing your car. I think it’ll be easier for you to get a understanding of what I’m explaining plus they will hand you a estimate with a parts list of all the parts they will replace just Incase you still want to tackle it on your own you will have a list of things you may need.

Wish you you luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do
Old 04-09-19, 06:50 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

sell it, it will cost way more to fix than the car is worth