GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OBD2 communication error. Car runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 11:13 AM
ComJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 communication error. Car runs fine.

Hi, everyone.

I just got a new scan tool after my old one died. It's a cheap little thing but i've tested it with 3 cars and it seems to work fine. It's this one.

Anyway, I have another thread started where where i'm asking about the handbrake light staying on, i'm lokking at it this weekend but the relevant thing about it regarding my current issue is that that error light is the only one that stays on in the dash.

All lights light up normally when putting the key on the ON position, and all of them turn off after i start the car (except the above mentioned handbrake one).

When I connect the scan tool, it powers on normally, but after hitting the scan button, it goes trough a list of protocols, fails all of them, and at the end, two things happen:

-The scan tool tells me it cant communicate with the car
-The VSC and ABS yellow lights start flashing and dont come off until I turn off the ignition.

What do you guys thing could be happening? The car is in pretty good nick, absolutely no rust anywhere, 130k miles, no weird noises from the engine, no electrical gremlims of any kind...
Old 02-22-19, 12:09 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen this happen before with faulty obd2 scanners.
Old 02-22-19, 12:31 PM
ComJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Revive
I've seen this happen before with faulty obd2 scanners.
I'll try to find another scanner and try, but the weird thing is that other cars i've tried it with connect fine... a 2010 Nissan Qashqai 1.5DCi, a 2001 Ford Focus 1.8 TDDI, and a E46 330ci.
Old 02-22-19, 01:15 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be a problem with the scanner itself or even a faulty cable(never wrap the cable around the scanner because it will wear out). If it were a newer Lexus, you'd probably have thrown a handful of continuous memory faults and need a visit to the dealer to clear them. Unfortunately not all scanners are created equally, so be careful what you plug into your car.
Old 02-22-19, 01:24 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ComJ
Anyway, I have another thread started where where i'm asking about the handbrake light staying on, i'm lokking at it this weekend but the relevant thing about it regarding my current issue is that that error light is the only one that stays on in the dash.
I'd vote try another ODB-II scanner, to validate the port.

Can't find your handbrake light thread, so will make a comment here. Our brake light will randomly not go out, after starting the car... the answer has always been to pull and release the e-brake handle. We can feel that the e-brake handle has come out some, as if there's a spring that too strong/weak, pulling/release resets the e-brake position sensor, and the brake light goes out in the dash. Irritating, haven't take the time to adjust the handle, yet it's on the to-do list.
The following users liked this post:
ComJ (02-27-19)
Old 02-27-19, 03:04 PM
ComJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I'd vote try another ODB-II scanner, to validate the port.

Can't find your handbrake light thread, so will make a comment here. Our brake light will randomly not go out, after starting the car... the answer has always been to pull and release the e-brake handle. We can feel that the e-brake handle has come out some, as if there's a spring that too strong/weak, pulling/release resets the e-brake position sensor, and the brake light goes out in the dash. Irritating, haven't take the time to adjust the handle, yet it's on the to-do list.
I'll definetely try that, thanks for the tip!